Menu

Can anyone compare ANKI vs Quizlet?

Anki is more of a pain to get set up, but I prefer it to Quizlet for some things because it is "smart" software. I have all of my dd's Latin and Spanish vocab in Anki and she only needs to spend 5-10 minutes on it a day because of the way it rotates the cards in based on how long it has been since she last did the card and how well she knew it.

Quizlet is fine for studying her chemistry vocab for a chapter test (and maybe even better because it has games and a variety of formats), but for things that we want to carry over more long-term and from year-to-year, I prefer Anki. And it wasn't really that hard to set up a basic deck. It's just not real user-friendly. Also, it has all kinds of features that I don't use because I don't know how. I keep it very simple and use it in the most basic way, but it's still been very worthwhile, imo.

• Like 2

Anki is basically a flipcard system. It has all sorts of fancy ways of setting up what you can use it for and how to space the cards, but at the end of the day that is what it is. I use it for learning my Japanese vocab.

We use Quizlet for my son's Japanese and Latin. Partly because setting up our devices for two separate Anki accounts was proving to be stupid difficult. And partly because he likes the interface of Quizlet more. It has flipcards but also the things like matching and other things, which Anki doesn't have.

Another option is Memrise.

• Like 1

I love Anki. My son's retention for latin vocab really soars with Anki. We've used Quizlet and agree that at this point is more user friendly than Anki, yet Anki's strength is its algorithm of spacing cards up for long term retention and reviewing periodically what you miss until mastery. Quizlet is fun to use but unless you study the starred cards you can not focus on what you miss (you have to study both what you already know and what you don't). They emailed me that they had introduced a new game, I haven't checked that one out. Maybe it helps on this.

• Like 1

Anki is a pain to set up but the SRS (spaced repetition learning system) helps retain info better for long term memory. You need to setup everything on the computer then have the option to use as an app on the phone or on the computer. Quizlet is good for preparing for a quiz/test if you need to learn a limited set of info. We've recently started using Memrise.com which is easier & more fun to use than Anki but also implements the efficient SRS method. The free version works well for us but the pro upgrade is supposed to make learning more efficient. 

• Like 2