Menu

Reviews for Touch-Type Read and Spell for students with dyslexia?

I just got this program for ds11, who is also dyslexic (diagnosed)  and ADHD (undiagnosed).

It came very highly recommended by the board here.  We are going through Barton's and it works well alongside that.  A lot of reinforcement.

The interface is very straightforward....

I like it.  Son doesn't mind it.  

• Like 2

Thank you. I thought I found that it was recommended here last year when I searched for typing programs (ended up going with cursive instead), but I wasn't churning up much with the search engine.

I just got this program for ds11, who is also dyslexic (diagnosed)  and ADHD (undiagnosed).

It came very highly recommended by the board here.  We are going through Barton's and it works well alongside that.  A lot of reinforcement.

The interface is very straightforward....

I like it.  Son doesn't mind it.  

Pros for us (have used it for quite a while now)

1.  No quirkiness with the software while we have used it.

2.  The student has access to all levels so if the early levels are too basic they can move forward to a higher level without issue.

3.  Pairs beautifully with Barton and probably would work well with any OG based system.

4.  The program does not penalize for slow typing.

5.  Accuracy and w.p.m.  are tracked but there are no negatives or penalties so a child can advance as they are able. (I STRONGLY believe that accuracy should be worked on very carefully LOOOOOONG before speed is emphasized.  Speed will come with practice, as long as accuracy is there).

6.  Dictation is slowly incorporated in a gentle and positive way.

7.  Phonics based reading/spelling is reinforced as they learn to type.

8.  The environment can be changed according to the student's tastes/needs so they can customize color of the background and the color of the fingers that show placement.

9. Along with the above there are tons of other custom settings to tweak the system to what the parent/student needs.

10.  History can be displayed as a graph or tables to make tracking progress easier.  

11.  The student and the parent can look at all levels to see what will be covered.

Cons

1.  Not as fun as other programs (but I think it is more effective than the "fun" ones we tried).

2.  Lots of levels so if you want to rush through to just get an overview of typing this may not fit the bill.  However, if you are using this for the long haul (as many kids need to get truly fluent), it could fit well.

Did I cover the keyboard to prevent hunting and pecking?  No, I didn't.  I tried to make sure I was sitting nearby, in the early lessons especially, so as to encourage proper finger placement and body posture.  If they get the muscle memory solidified (which admittedly may take quite a bit of time) then the need to look at the keys goes away but there is then a corresponding increase in accuracy and speed.  I learned to type in High School.  I stopped needing to look at the keyboard not because someone forced me to but because I did a LOT of typing and my typing teacher encouraged proper finger placement and body posture.  I built up proper muscle memory.  Eventually I had no need at all to look at the keys.  I saw no need to change that practice for my kids.

• Like 1

Is there value to Touch Type Read Spell for a student who finished a "fun" typing program (Typing Instructor Platinum) and knows all the keys but could use more directed practice to continue improving accuracy/speed? This is my DS9. Spelling is not a strength for him, so my thought was that this might be a good choice to both improve his typing and get in a bit of spelling practice at the same time (I just finished Apples and Pears B with him, if that gives you an idea of his spelling level).

• Like 1

Fantastic review, thank you!!

It sounds darn near perfect. DD would probably like something more fun/flashy, but I think that would be a distraction. I like that it doesn't focus on speed. She doesn't do well in timed/rushed environments.

Thanks again, I think we may pony up.

Pros for us (have used it for quite a while now)

1.  No quirkiness with the software while we have used it.

2.  The student has access to all levels so if the early levels are too basic they can move forward to a higher level without issue.

3.  Pairs beautifully with Barton and probably would work well with any OG based system.

4.  The program does not penalize for slow typing.

5.  Accuracy and w.p.m.  are tracked but there are no negatives or penalties so a child can advance as they are able. (I STRONGLY believe that accuracy should be worked on very carefully LOOOOOONG before speed is emphasized.  Speed will come with practice, as long as accuracy is there).

6.  Dictation is slowly incorporated in a gentle and positive way.

7.  Phonics based reading/spelling is reinforced as they learn to type.

8.  The environment can be changed according to the student's tastes/needs so they can customize color of the background and the color of the fingers that show placement.

9. Along with the above there are tons of other custom settings to tweak the system to what the parent/student needs.

10.  History can be displayed as a graph or tables to make tracking progress easier.  

11.  The student and the parent can look at all levels to see what will be covered.

Cons

1.  Not as fun as other programs (but I think it is more effective than the "fun" ones we tried).

2.  Lots of levels so if you want to rush through to just get an overview of typing this may not fit the bill.  However, if you are using this for the long haul (as many kids need to get truly fluent), it could fit well.

Did I cover the keyboard to prevent hunting and pecking?  No, I didn't.  I tried to make sure I was sitting nearby, in the early lessons especially, so as to encourage proper finger placement and body posture.  If they get the muscle memory solidified (which admittedly may take quite a bit of time) then the need to look at the keys goes away but there is then a corresponding increase in accuracy and speed.  I learned to type in High School.  I stopped needing to look at the keyboard not because someone forced me to but because I did a LOT of typing and my typing teacher encouraged proper finger placement and body posture.  I built up proper muscle memory.  Eventually I had no need at all to look at the keys.  I saw no need to change that practice for my kids.

Edited by pitterpatter
  • Like 1

Is there value to Touch Type Read Spell for a student who finished a "fun" typing program (Typing Instructor Platinum) and knows all the keys but could use more directed practice to continue improving accuracy/speed? This is my DS9. Spelling is not a strength for him, so my thought was that this might be a good choice to both improve his typing and get in a bit of spelling practice at the same time (I just finished Apples and Pears B with him, if that gives you an idea of his spelling level).

Yes, I think it could help.  My kids did a "fun" typing program first and I think that helped them with motivation initially but now they just need some consistency in their practice to improve accuracy/speed and to increase spelling/reading ability.  TTRS has done all of that for us and the kids like that the lessons are short.  They have improved significantly in their ability to type from dictation as well.  Just make certain he is placing his fingers correctly every.single.time.  

Fantastic review, thank you!!

It sounds darn near perfect. DD would probably like something more fun/flashy, but I think that would be a distraction. I like that it doesn't focus on speed. She doesn't do well in timed/rushed environments.

Thanks again, I think we may pony up.

It may be cheaper through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op still.  That was where I got ours and it was definitely cheaper.

• Like 1

Oh, one thing I will add, in one of the levels is the word "ass", referring I assume to a type of 4 legged animal.   It tied in with the spelling being emphasized in that level. DD was not expecting the word and suddenly the voice on the computer says "ass" rather loudly into a very quiet room.   Dd was a bit shocked.  Once she got over being startled she dutifully typed in "ass" as required.  However, she and DS giggled about it for days and days and days...and days.  In fact, any time either of them started a typing lesson for quite a while there was giggling.  Just fair warning.  :)

• Like 3

We bypassed that particular program because DS is dyslexic and dysgraphic, and I didn't wish to tie spelling with his motor planning issues.  Dysgraphics can have a terrible time simply learning to type, so I didn't want to add spelling as he learned to type.  It gives me a headache just thinking about that prospect.

Edited by Heathermomster

We bypassed that particular program because DS is dyslexic and dysgraphic, and I didn't wish to tie spelling with his motor planning issues. Dysgraphics can have a terrible time simply learning to type, so I didn't want to add spelling as he learned to type. It gives me a headache just thinking about that prospect.

I do hear what you are saying but at least with TTRS I don't think it would be an issue for most students. Believe it or not it really hasn't been an issue at all for DS (dysgraphia and dyslexic and probably some issue with APD plus possibly ADHD). The system doesn't "test" spelling. It just gently reinforces phonics. What they do with the typing lesson ties in really well with the Barton lessons we are doing and the steps are small and steady. No giant leaps. It really is a very gentle program.

I will say that if a student has never had ANY typing before, the parent will need to be right next to the student helping them with finger placement, body placement and key strokes, especially if there are any motor planning issues. Go slow, keep lessons short and as stress free as possible and give LOTS of encouragement. It may take quite a bit of time to get the muscle memory in place if dysgraphia is in the mix. The spelling side is so gentle, though, that I don't think that would be a big problem. They aren't teaching rules to memorize. Just basically reinforcing phonics through site and sound.

To add to the above I would not use this program as a primary resource for learning to spell, only as a supplement to an OG based system.

• Like 1

Luckily, my DD doesn't know the word for anything but an animal. ;) Well, that's not exactly true, several of the classic books she's listened to use it in a profane way, but I don't think she's really thought much of it. Thanks for the warning, for sure! Will be interesting to see how she reacts.

Oh, one thing I will add, in one of the levels is the word "ass", referring I assume to a type of 4 legged animal.   It tied in with the spelling being emphasized in that level. DD was not expecting the word and suddenly the voice on the computer says "ass" rather loudly into a very quiet room.   Dd was a bit shocked.  Once she got over being startled she dutifully typed in "ass" as required.  However, she and DS giggled about it for days and days and days...and days.  In fact, any time either of them started a typing lesson for quite a while there was giggling.  Just fair warning.   :)

• Like 1

I will try to give a bit of a rundown for structure of the program and the first lessons in case it might help someone.  

• There are 24 Levels.  
  • Each level usually has 31 modules (lessons), but not all.  Some are shorter.  
  • Each lesson covers a specific thing while also incorporating what was learned in previous lessons.  
  • All lessons have a visual and auditory component.  The voice can be changed in the settings area.
  • The first lesson is simply getting the child used to proper finger placement and to get somewhat familiar with the location of all the vowel keys.  If a child has had typing before this will be review.  If they have not had typing before or they are not solid on typing make sure they have their fingers placed correctly and they do not rush through the lesson.  Go slowly.  The program doesn't care if they have to take half an hour to do the lesson.  The lesson is actually very short so there is no need to rush.  
  • By lesson two of Level 1 the student is taught the location of f, e, d, and the letter location is practiced several times for each one.  The student then practices typing "fed" several times.  The word is on the screen (they do not have to memorize the spelling of the word) and there are virtual fingers on a virtual key board to show them where to place their fingers.  If they make a mistake the back space key is highlighted and the program also gives them a verbal reminder to back space and correct the typing error.
  • All lessons can be repeated as needed.
  • By lesson 31 of Level 1 the student will be typing full sentences but every single thing in the sentence has been gently introduced and scaffolded and reinforced.  They are not thrown into typing sentences without preparation.  This pattern will continue.  Every level introduces the important components slowly and gently and then helps the student assemble those components into sentences.  They will already know how to type all of the words by the time they have to type them in a sentence.
  • The parent can adjust how much support a student has in the settings menu.  You don't want virtual fingers to guide them?  Take that component away.  
  • By the time the student gets to Level 24, Module 21 the student will be typing much more advanced words and incorporating them into paragraphs but they don't rush the child to get there.  Each level/lesson is a slow and steady progression.

Some suggestions from my personal experiences that might be helpful:

1. Have the student do the lesson every day or at least 5 days a week, every week.  Muscle memory will develop much faster and more efficiently this way.
  2. Try to do the lesson at the same time every day.  Some research studies are showing that things like typing and even math may work better if the brain is "anticipating" the lesson.
  3. Always, especially with a newbie, sit near them and make sure they have proper finger placement and posture, at least for the early lessons.  If they are hitting the keys inconsistently it will take a LOT longer to develop good muscle memory and if they develop a bad habit it may be VERY hard to help them unlearn the bad habit and then learn the correct placement.  Make this a hill to die on.  Give a lot of praise for proper finger placement (if they do well with praise), or maybe a reward or something so it isn't constant nagging but keep those fingers in the right spot.
  4. Don't hover.   :)  I drove my kids nuts when I hovered.  They did better if I ensured the fingers started out in the correct spot then just sat near them doing other things while they typed.  I only stepped in with gentle reminders if necessary.  I kept feedback positive, focusing on what they were doing well.
  5. Don't expect independent typing with academics for quite a while.  If they pick up typing quickly that's great, but it can take quite a bit of time for all the components to come together well enough to use typing as a primary means of output.
Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 4

This is excellent, thank you!! Definitely gives me a clearer picture of what to expect. I think it will be good for DD.  :thumbup1:

I will try to give a bit of a rundown for structure of the program and the first lessons in case it might help someone.  

• There are 24 Levels.  
  • Each level usually has 31 modules (lessons), but not all.  Some are shorter.  
  • Each lesson covers a specific thing while also incorporating what was learned in previous lessons.  
  • All lessons have a visual and auditory component.  The voice can be changed in the settings area.
  • The first lesson is simply getting the child used to proper finger placement and to get somewhat familiar with the location of all the vowel keys.  If a child has had typing before this will be review.  If they have not had typing before or they are not solid on typing make sure they have their fingers placed correctly and they do not rush through the lesson.  Go slowly.  The program doesn't care if they have to take half an hour to do the lesson.  The lesson is actually very short so there is no need to rush.  
  • By lesson two of Level 1 the student is taught the location of f, e, d, and the letter location is practiced several times for each one.  The student then practices typing "fed" several times.  The word is on the screen (they do not have to memorize the spelling of the word) and there are virtual fingers on a virtual key board to show them where to place their fingers.  If they make a mistake the back space key is highlighted and the program also gives them a verbal reminder to back space and correct the typing error.
  • All lessons can be repeated as needed.
  • By lesson 31 of Level 1 the student will be typing full sentences but every single thing in the sentence has been gently introduced and scaffolded and reinforced.  They are not thrown into typing sentences without preparation.  This pattern will continue.  Every level introduces the important components slowly and gently and then helps the student assemble those components into sentences.  They will already know how to type all of the words by the time they have to type them in a sentence.
  • The parent can adjust how much support a student has in the settings menu.  You don't want virtual fingers to guide them?  Take that component away.  
  • By the time the student gets to Level 24, Module 21 the student will be typing much more advanced words and incorporating them into paragraphs but they don't rush the child to get there.  Each level/lesson is a slow and steady progression.

Some suggestions from my personal experiences that might be helpful:

1. Have the student do the lesson every day or at least 5 days a week, every week.  Muscle memory will develop much faster and more efficiently this way.
  2. Try to do the lesson at the same time every day.  Some research studies are showing that things like typing and even math may work better if the brain is "anticipating" the lesson.
  3. Always, especially with a newbie, sit near them and make sure they have proper finger placement and posture, at least for the early lessons.  If they are hitting the keys inconsistently it will take a LOT longer to develop good muscle memory and if they develop a bad habit it may be VERY hard to help them unlearn the bad habit and then learn the correct placement.  Make this a hill to die on.  Give a lot of praise for proper finger placement (if they do well with praise), or maybe a reward or something so it isn't constant nagging but keep those fingers in the right spot.
  4. Don't hover.   :)  I drove my kids nuts when I hovered.  They did better if I ensured the fingers started out in the correct spot then just sat near them doing other things while they typed.  I only stepped in with gentle reminders if necessary.  I kept feedback positive, focusing on what they were doing well.
  5. Don't expect independent typing with academics for quite a while.  If they pick up typing quickly that's great, but it can take quite a bit of time for all the components to come together well enough to use typing as a primary means of output.

• Like 1

My son had really good succes with keyboarding without tears if you want to look into that. Finger placement is achieved initially by having kids hold down j with the right hand while he learns how to type with the left. It starts from level k but you can start at higher Levels. The program helps him practice sight words as well. I always find other programs progress really fast. He does the program independently now. This is from a kiddo who typically breaks down using computer programs. I also bought some colored keybarding stickers to help with finger alignment.

• Like 1

I initially looked at and was planning to use KWOT, but I couldn't get the demo to work properly on my computer. I tried different browsers. Not sure what the problem was. I haven't been back to see whether the bugs have been fixed.

My son had really good succes with keyboarding without tears if you want to look into that. Finger placement is achieved initially by having kids hold down j with the right hand while he learns how to type with the left. It starts from level k but you can start at higher Levels. The program helps him practice sight words as well. I always find other programs progress really fast. He does the program independently now. This is from a kiddo who typically breaks down using computer programs. I also bought some colored keybarding stickers to help with finger alignment.

• 1 year later...

I'm investigating the idea of using TTRS with a student who already has some basic typing skills but is just starting Barton.  Can both be started at the same time, or does there need to be an off-set?  Would it be best to get through Level 1 of Barton before jumping into TTRS?  

I'm investigating the idea of using TTRS with a student who already has some basic typing skills but is just starting Barton.  Can both be started at the same time, or does there need to be an off-set?  Would it be best to get through Level 1 of Barton before jumping into TTRS?  

Having used both, yes I think it would help the student if they started TTRS after Level 1 and possibly not until after level 2.  TTRS pairs well with Barton but the student will do better with the typing if they already have some phonics under their belt, IMHO, especially if they are struggling with reading.  Since both levels tend to go fairly quickly there wouldn't be that long of a delay.  Or maybe start Level 2 and halfway through start TTRS.

• Like 1

Having used both, yes I think it would help the student if they started TTRS after Level 1 and possibly not until after level 2.  TTRS pairs well with Barton but the student will do better with the typing if they already have some phonics under their belt, IMHO, especially if they are struggling with reading.  Since both levels tend to go fairly quickly there wouldn't be that long of a delay.  Or maybe start Level 2 and halfway through start TTRS.

This is very useful feedback, thank you!

• Like 1