Menu

Another "Help me spend money!" thread.

We live in CA and will be using a charter this year. We plan to spend our funds on a couple extracurricular activities, but don't generally like to have a busy schedule. If you had kids going into first and third grades, what other things would you spend your funds on? Must be educational, secular, and preferably consumable (non-consumable things will need to be returned to the school eventually). I am considering a few non-consumable things simply because they would otherwise be too far out of our budget.

Ok... GO!

Science kits and art supplies.

Klutz books.

Logic workbooks (Mind Benders, Lollipop Logic, Building Thinking Skills).

Fountain pens and ink for handwriting instruction (the junior ones from JetPens).

Edited by JudoMom
  • Like 1

I have a third grader and a similar type of program. It's fun to shop this way!

We are continuing our Tinker Crate subscription and adding Doodle Crate. Plus getting Home Art Studio and a kit of art supplies.

We already have CAP Fable but that is something to look at. I'm debating getting Well-Ordered Language too.

Maybe a Brave Writer program? Or a bunch of Arrow downloads?

I'm getting Nick and Tesla books and the materials for all of the projects.

I choose Kindle books and Audible audiobooks so I don't have to return them.

Printer ink and printer paper for picture study prints.

Science kits, like boxes of rocks to explore. A decent microscope -- maybe not high school quality, but not a toy either -- and premade slides to view. And science materials -- those supplies add up!

Of course, I'd also buy SOTW books and Activity Guides if I didn't already have them. I know I've seen treasure chest sorts of things listed, maybe in WTM, like a collection of stuff from a particular era. Those would be fun! I'd probably also buy what my library didn't have of the following, even if they might need to be returned to the charter eventually: Sleeping Bear Press state and other books, Magic Treehouse books or CDs, If You Lived books, Magic Schoolbus books, Poetry for Young People series, Come Look With Me art books, and You Woildnt Want To Be A series. And some maps or other fun history posters.

I would also buy all of the Classical Kids CDs. And, a keyboard if I didn't have one, plus piano lessons.

We already have CAP Fable but that is something to look at. I'm debating getting Well-Ordered Language too.

Maybe a Brave Writer program? Or a bunch of Arrow downloads?

I love the idea of spending money on those, but I have a hard time getting comfortable with actually using PDFs. How do people do it?? Do you print everything out or carry around an iPad?

Printer ink and printer paper for picture study prints.

Science kits, like boxes of rocks to explore. A decent microscope -- maybe not high school quality, but not a toy either -- and premade slides to view. And science materials -- those supplies add up!

Of course, I'd also buy SOTW books and Activity Guides if I didn't already have them. I know I've seen treasure chest sorts of things listed, maybe in WTM, like a collection of stuff from a particular era. Those would be fun! I'd probably also buy what my library didn't have of the following, even if they might need to be returned to the charter eventually: Sleeping Bear Press state and other books, Magic Treehouse books or CDs, If You Lived books, Magic Schoolbus books, Poetry for Young People series, Come Look With Me art books, and You Woildnt Want To Be A series. And some maps or other fun history posters.

I would also buy all of the Classical Kids CDs. And, a keyboard if I didn't have one, plus piano lessons.

I was thinking about artist study prints but we'd need a new printer. Is there one you recommend?

I love the idea of spending money on those, but I have a hard time getting comfortable with actually using PDFs. How do people do it?? Do you print everything out or carry around an iPad?

The Arrow units are fairly short and easy to print - but yes, you could just transfer them to an iPad.

The CAP Fable is a physical book. The student edition is consumable, though.

Will they cover music lessons or art lessons? I make those our first priority. Swimming lessons? Will they cover a musical instrument? P.E. Classes?

Extra stuff: what others mentioned, Magic School Bus kits, craft supplies, Usborne books like Write a Story, doodle books, something that interests them (for example, comic book pages for my doodling sons,) electronic subscriptions to things like phonics or math games, math manipulatives and games, mad libs, etc.

Some foreign language curriculum is also an option.

BTDT with trying desperately to use up charter school funds.  What worked for me were art and craft supplies (Discount School Supply and Dick Blick were our vendors), science supplies from Home Science Tools, and I believe Barnes and Noble was an approved vendor, so check them out.  Also, American Girl was an approved vendor, but not for dolls, and they sell lots of interesting books and craft kits.  

I had a good long term relationship with my ES, so I could keep non-consumable items over the summer because she knew I'd be returning in the fall.  You may want to ask your ES if that's possible for you.  

Will they cover music lessons or art lessons? I make those our first priority. Swimming lessons? Will they cover a musical instrument? P.E. Classes?

Extra stuff: what others mentioned, Magic School Bus kits, craft supplies, Usborne books like Write a Story, doodle books, something that interests them (for example, comic book pages for my doodling sons,) electronic subscriptions to things like phonics or math games, math manipulatives and games, mad libs, etc.

Some foreign language curriculum is also an option.

Yes, we can use it for lessons, etc. we will do a bit of that but don't like to be too busy.