Menu

Why are summer "camps" so expensive?!

SparklyUnicorn

That is a big deal skill-related camp, for older kids though. Like a summer school. 

The ones I am thinking of are just plain, traditional, outdoor camps - cabins, archery, swimming, s'mores, games, horseback riding,nature hikes etc.

My experience is that access to horses increases the cost of the camp greatly.

Our local YMCA camps are about $200/week full-time. I've signed our foster daughter up for several sessions. Overnight Y camp is $300 for 5 days.

Also, we're going to Portland for a few days and I need her to be in some childcare while I do some stuff with my older girls. I found this day camp that you can pay per day for: http://steveandkatescamp.com. It looks kind of pretentious, but it also looks like a lot of fun and I think she'll love it. And for 10 hours of organized childcare, $90 isn't crazy expensive. I mean, it is... But I feel like I need to pay some special attention to my older girls and the idea of dragging an angry, unhappy child through places like Powell's bookstore is too painful to imagine. So Steve and Kate it is. I may even buy a second day if it goes well.

My experience is that access to horses increases the cost of the camp greatly.

For sure! And better horses = more expensive. Insurance plays in again too.

But many camps near here offer reasonable beginner and intermediate riding/horsemanship without costing $1250 a week!  Excellent riding programs are available here as full-day, day camp for $200-300 a week. Several sleep away camps with good reputations and horses are $500-$600. 

My business wanted to do a summer day camp focusing on international arts - dance, music, painting/sculpture, martial arts ....  Well it didn't happen because we didn't get a license in time.  But we looked at the cost and comparative pricing and logistics and I couldn't recommend trying again.

I know that camps are expensive to run, so I donate extra to some of the ones my kids attend, rather than risk their dissolving.

• Like 1

My ds8 is going to camp this week at the park down the road.  It is well done and through the town parks dept.  It is 125 for the week 9-3. One day they take a field trip.  I thought that was a great price.

No way could we afford a music or writing camp(my dd14 would LOVE that...)  We priced them at 1500+ 

• Like 1

Liability insurance, and for camps specializing in a specific skill set, paying the expert instructors. The insurance is very, very high!

Interlochen music camp is over $1000 per week. It is one of the most expensive summer camp programs that I know of in the Great Lakes and Midwest region.

Several years ago when Interlochen needed a last minute substitute instructor, I received room and board and a HUGE hourly wage in order to entice me to take the position. Many professors will not take the summer job without major enticements and certainly not if they have a good offer to teach summer courses at their university or LAC.

We paid $795.00 for P to attend MTU water ecology camp last summer. Given the level of instruction he received, I am not complaining. But, it does make it something out of reach for a ton of families.

• Like 1