Menu

Kids' shows with gentle, positive messages?

StaceyinLA

We like the Miyazaki movies (not shows, I know) - especially Totoro.  Backyardigans has good enough music; other than that I haven't found many modern shows that don't have modern sensibilities (which we largely try to avoid) or older shows that aren't sort of disturbing.

I did like Mr Rogers :)

Thanks everyone! Dd has downloaded a couple episodes each of about 5 different shows recommended in this thread. So far dgd is enjoying Daniel Tiger, and I think dd likes it too; she said it is similar to Mister Rogers' Neighborhood (must be produced by the same people or something since it has the same theme song), which she LOVED as a child.

Turns out my other dgd has been watching it a lot too, and really likes it. Glad to know it has more gentle, positive messages.

Thanks everyone! Dd has downloaded a couple episodes each of about 5 different shows recommended in this thread. So far dgd is enjoying Daniel Tiger, and I think dd likes it too; she said it is similar to Mister Rogers' Neighborhood (must be produced by the same people or something since it has the same theme song), which she LOVED as a child.

Turns out my other dgd has been watching it a lot too, and really likes it. Glad to know it has more gentle, positive messages.

Daniel Tiger is the son of Daniel Striped Tiger from Mister Rogers. All his friends are the children or relative of old characters from Mister Rogers.
  • Like 1

When I think of kids shows, there is a real line where I feel the quality went way down - and it is when computer animation took over, which was just after my dd11 was born.

It seems like once they started proucing these realativly cheaper shows, the script writing also really went downhill.  They are either totally insipid, or just frantic.  They started to cancel a lot of the better ones, even in re-runs.  The newer shows seem to be the very same plots, ad even characters, just in a new setting with a new body.

The problem being, a lot of the ones I think are good are hard to find.

My favorite is a show, with puppets, called Nanalan'.  I have not found the show length episodes anywhere.  You can get the shorts, which were earlier.  They are nice too, the quality isn't quite as good in terms of the puppets, but they are charming and funny.  But not as good as the longer ones.

Eb and Flo, about a girl and her dog.

Rubbadubbers.

The Friendly Giant.

Mr Dressup.

Older Sesame street (these are on video, labeled not for kids, but I say, live dangerously.)

Postman Pat (even the newer ones are ok.)

the stop motion Noddy, but not the computer animated one.

Thank you all. It's my dgd and she's almost 3.

We did find some Mister Rogers on iTunes and dd is hoping dgd will like it (she LOVED it as a child). I think she's going to get a couple each of Mister Rogers, Peppa Pig and Daniel the Tiger to see if dgd will like any of those. I'll also mention a few of these others to her.

Dgd loves Disney movies, but dd is worried because her behavior has really changed over the last couple months. I'm sure plenty of it has to do with her age, but dd just wants some lower key, more positive, gentle shows for her to watch.

She doesn't really watch much at home, but has some on her iPad for car rides (and we all live far out, so big grocery trips are a couple hours+ in the car), and dgd will watch the same parts of the Disney movies over and over (and some parts are a little creepy in some of those movies too). Dd just wants to limit the Disney movies to one or two a week at home, so dgd won't be able to just play those on repeat, and then have the gentler shows on the iPad.

I saw some negative behaviors from Disney movies.  Not so much things like Snow White, but the ones with smart-alek sidekicks, like Aladdin.  I remember being a bit surprised, as an adult those characters seemed to be directed to some extent to older viewers, but littler kids seemed to think they were worth copying.  But it was over their heads how the things were not appropriate to say in many situations.

Wait! What? There are Sesame Street episodes labelled not for children?

I was born the year they started airing. I am sure I saw them all and I turned out okay!

Yes, I think the video set is called Sesame Street, Old School, it includes about the first two seasons.

In the pilot, a new girl moves into Sesame St, and Gordon (with an afro!) shows her around, then they go back to his partment for milk and cookies.

There are kids without bike helmets, and playing in a junk yard.

Kids sleeping in unsafe car seats.

Dangerous stuff!

• Like 1