Menu

Need Math Curriculum That Alligns With TEKS (Texans Help Please!)

goldenecho

I think City Mouse has a good idea.  See if you can get ahold of the actual textbook they'll use in his school.

I'm in a similar situation, and what I'm doing is comparing the curriculum I decided on (Rod and Staff) to the TEKS standards, which are available online, then filling in the gaps with other resources for the standards that R & S doesn't cover. 

I did find a discarded textbook from the school (It's Saxon, though, and they switched to Envision) and it is clearly marked which lessons align with which standards.

It might be useful to do a google search for "TEKS aligned textbooks" or something along those lines.

I would just use whatever you want. Assuming you pick something strong, chances are, your child will meet it all and exceed. TEKs only refers to a minimum standard. You can look at released STAAR tests if that helps. You can also look at the TEKs, but I find it easier to see what they covered by look at STAAR. Also, some 6th grade kids are on advanced track and working more at a 7th grade level or pre-algebra.

My dd is going to be going to public school in eighth grade in TX and she did Saxon 7/6 this year for 6th grade it covered all that was on the STAAR Math 2014 online questions available through the TEKS site. I also bought her a cliff notes type book for TX STAARS and except for terminology changes all the topics were covered in Saxon. She did not like how it jumps around and it has lots of review so we are looking into Teaching Textbooks for 7th grade because someone at coop mention it was also aligned with TEK standards. If your son can do Saxon 7/6 I don't think he will have a problem with any Texas placement tests. 

• Like 1

Yeah, looking at the TEK...it was helpful for science, but for math the way they described things made my head spin and I felt like I needed an interpreter.   I found the first workbook they use in 6th grade locally, and that will get me started.  Great idea to look at the old STAAR tests too.

I would just use whatever you want. Assuming you pick something strong, chances are, your child will meet it all and exceed. TEKs only refers to a minimum standard. You can look at released STAAR tests if that helps. You can also look at the TEKs, but I find it easier to see what they covered by look at STAAR. Also, some 6th grade kids are on advanced track and working more at a 7th grade level or pre-algebra.

Edited by goldenecho

Call the school and get the ISBN number for the math book. Or go to the school and ask to see it. Explain why and they should be willing to let you look. I found it very helpful to have the actual textbook in front of me. See if you can buy a used copy online through Amazon or Abe books. Then use whatever program you want for a strong math foundation but use the textbook as a guide for what he is expected to already know by the start of 7th.

Keep in mind that most PS don't have time to complete an entire textbook so some chapters often get glossed over or skipped altogether, the assumption being that they will be exposed again later on.

There are a lot of topics covered in PS math now. Don't stress if you feel that you and your child are struggling to get it all done. Depth of understanding, real understanding, in a few key topics may benefit him more than rushing through tons of material. If your child is very solid on place value, fractions, decimals, and percents, and has his math facts down and understands the concepts behind those math facts he will probably be ahead of many of his classmates.