Menu

If your student loved AOPS Pre-A...

Would you continue with AOPS Algebra?

I'm not sure why I'm hesitant. I guess at some point I want to switch to a more traditional program? I had planned on Foerster's for Algebra, but she is literally LOVING AOPS Pre-A. It's definitely challenging, but very much enjoyable. 

BTW, I have to decide tonight-- HA! Ordering curriculum tomorrow. 

Edited by Esse Quam Videri

I love the Prealgebra text more than Intro to Algebra, but nonetheless, if she loves the Prealgebra text that much, no other algebra text is going to hold a candle to AoPS Intro to Algebra.  ...and oh my the Geometry  :001_wub: .  So yeah, go ahead and place your order :)

• Like 1

We started with AOPS Algebra (Pre-algebra did not yet exist) and never looked at another piece of math curriculum again.

Why would you want to switch if it works for her? It is the best - and if she loves it, there is no reason not to continue.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Would you continue with AOPS Algebra?

I'm not sure why I'm hesitant. I guess at some point I want to switch to a more traditional program? I had planned on Foerster's for Algebra, but she is literally LOVING AOPS Pre-A. It's definitely challenging, but very much enjoyable.

BTW, I have to decide tonight-- HA! Ordering curriculum tomorrow.

What is it about a more traditional program that appeals to you more than AoPS? I mean, your child is doing very challenging math and loving it. So what is the draw for you to a different program?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My son adores AoPS Pre-Algebra and plans to continue with Intro  Algebra chapters 1-10 next year after we finish the perky public school required textbook to transfer credit in high school in 2017. He is rather annoyed about that, but that story is in another post.  My only complaint about Pre Algebra AoPS is the utter lack of graphing/translations which is part of the state standards.  Yes, I follow those since I plan to return my kids to school in high school, so I had to supplement with a few chapters from another text. Other than that he pretty much taught himself with the videos, text, and Alcumus.  

Edited by J&JMom

If your child is loving AoPS Pre-Algebra, I'd say stick with it.  As for any gaps between AoPS and other programs, I wouldn't sweat it.  If your DD is able to handle AoPS, she'll certainly be able to quickly fill the gaps (I suspect Khan Academy would be adequate for that purpose.)

As for the lure of the traditional program, I understand that.  I am a very linear thinker, and Foerster sits upon my shelf, gently calling my name and being soundly ignored by my AoPS-loving daughter.  Here, I'm teaching directing the education of my opposite, so I can understand being conflicted. :001_smile: