Menu

Overheard at the market just now

I ran to Wal-Mart during our lunch to pick up some medicine for a sick neighbor. We were coming out of an aisle when an older couple passed by. I overheard her say something to him about kids and school. I assume she was saying something like those kids should be in school or of the like. Well, since I have turned 40, I have gotten kind of bold.;) I tapped her on the shoulder and said that yep, we home school and are out running errands during our lunch break. If I was really wanting to be snarky, I would have added that we dropped everything from our lessons in order to help our poor, sick widowed neighbor.:D I wanted to, but I didn't. I just cleared it up so she would know that she needs to not pass judgements and to be a bit more discrete or you will be overheard and confronted.

Woohoo, that feels good!:tongue_smilie:

We went to the library yesterday during school hours, and I had several people give us double-takes. I assumed it was because my school-age kids were with me, but perhaps they were just awe-struck by my beauty (NOT). ;)

I just kept walking confidently to the reptile section.

We then went into the little used bookstore in our library (which I love) and bought $19 worth of GREAT books! We must have spent 45 minutes in there. My boys were reading various books the whole time. The volunteer worker asked me if I homeschool, and I said "yes." She said she sees several homeschooling families in the bookstore -- she said "You can sort of tell the ones who are homeschooled." She commented on how interested my boys were in the books as well. She actually continued to say what a great thing homeschooling is. The only place that really happens to me is in the library -- elsewhere, I usually get negative responses.

I ran to Wal-Mart during our lunch to pick up some medicine for a sick neighbor. We were coming out of an aisle when an older couple passed by. I overheard her say something to him about kids and school. I assume she was saying something like those kids should be in school or of the like. Well, since I have turned 40, I have gotten kind of bold.;) I tapped her on the shoulder and said that yep, we home school and are out running errands during our lunch break. If I was really wanting to be snarky, I would have added that we dropped everything from our lessons in order to help our poor, sick widowed neighbor.:D I wanted to, but I didn't. I just cleared it up so she would know that she needs to not pass judgements and to be a bit more discrete or you will be overheard and confronted.

Woohoo, that feels good!:tongue_smilie:

40 does add a sense of boldness doesn't it? ;):D Good for you!!!

I usually get positive responses. I am not sure if the lady was being negative or just a statement of something. I just cheerfully told informed her of what we were doing.

I would not normally go out to Wal-Mart in the middle of the day. But my neighbor called and wanted me to get her some medicine the next time I went out. I decided to go ahead and go so we could pick up some lunch as well.

We live in an area where it seems half the population are retirees. Many of them have the attitude "I raised my kids and I don't want to be bothered with yours!" Whether the kids are disruptive or not doesn't seem to matter. Some of these people just don't like kids around at all. My in-laws were visiting a couple of weeks ago and they took me and the kids to Burger King for lunch. We were the only ones in there with kids and as we were leaving, a man behind me made a snarky comment about it being "like a day care around here." I wish I could have thought of some snappy response!