Menu

Who here does not vote in elections and if so why not?

I don't. I think the whole thing is rigged and it is just pointless. Plus, no matter who gets in, we will be no better nor worse off. It is all a big game.

Just stating MY OPINION. Not interested in debating it. It will not change.

Actually, let me change something. Things WILL get worse, no matter who gets in.

Edited by VaKim

Who could reasonably be expected to speak up since nonvoters were thoroughly chastised in the original post?

I have skipped voting in certain races but not the entire election. If I was completely unfamiliar with any of the candidates running for a minor public office, then, yes, I have skipped over voting in that particular contest. Other times, I have written in myself as candidate on a whim. I do not vote if anyone is running unopposed.

Actually I completely get people's feeling of disenfranchisement that may lead to a decision to pass on voting. I think those folks see voting as nothing more than the illusion of choice.

For a humorous look at not voting, here's George Carlin's take on it. Of course, it contains foul language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u6lCBnRoHQ

I, too, think part of the election is rigged and that there is voter fraud which makes me really angry. Think ACORN. Busing homeless people to voter registration and then telling them how to vote is dirty politics, IMO.

I would like to think that those things won't throw the election but I don't know for sure. I will still vote.

Who could reasonably be expected to speak up since nonvoters were thoroughly chastised in the original post?

I have skipped voting in certain races but not the entire election. If I was completely unfamiliar with any of the candidates running for a minor public office, then, yes, I have skipped over voting in that particular contest. Other times, I have written in myself as candidate on a whim. I do not vote if anyone is running unopposed.

Actually I completely get people's feeling of disenfranchisement that may lead to a decision to pass on voting. I think those folks see voting as nothing more than the illusion of choice.

For a humorous look at not voting, here's George Carlin's take on it. Of course, it contains foul language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u6lCBnRoHQ

How did I chastise anyone in the OP? I was merely asking a question out of curiosity? By stating that I vote is that chastisement? I was being candid as to what I do but I certainly did not give any opinion on what I thought of those who do not vote.

How did I chastise anyone in the OP? I was merely asking a question out of curiosity? By stating that I vote is that chastisement? I was being candid as to what I do but I certainly did not give any opinion on what I thought of those who do not vote.

Not sure, but I think she meant the other thread where this was discussed, and not your opening post. :)

I, too, think part of the election is rigged and that there is voter fraud which makes me really angry. Think ACORN. Busing homeless people to voter registration and then telling them how to vote is dirty politics, IMO.

I would like to think that those things won't throw the election but I don't know for sure. I will still vote.

That reminds me of the republicans that voted for Hilary. Its all about cooking the books.

If the whole electoral college was thrown out, and swing states and blah, blah , blah. I would vote. The system is flawed.

When we start everything from scratch and a persons vote does make a difference. I will vote.

I almost never vote. In fact, I recently blogged about why I don't vote. It's too long to post here but the basic reasons are:

• When the voters say no, the politicians ignore us and do it anyway.
  • When the voters say reduce our taxes, the politicians raise taxes a different way.
  • When votes are close, the recounts get creative.
  • The vote outcome in Seattle is the outcome of the vote for the entire state.
  • Promises made are promises broken.

I believe anyone who becomes president has to agree to a particular agenda and if they did not agree with that particular agenda, there would be absolutely no chance whatsoever that they would become president. I believe there is a power elite behind the presidency and that the president himself is a puppet man for those who possess that power.

But, I am a voter. Just not in this Presidential Election. Probably.

Edited by Donna T.

I have on occasion skipped parts on the ballot because I didn't know any of the people running (usually local elections). I am not going to vote when I don't know who the heck they are. I always vote in the presidential and gubernatorial elections. Sometimes I wonder, but it was drilled into me as a child that it was my duty to vote. Old habits?

Janet

because i live in a state where the outcome isn't in any doubt and therefore my vote won't matter one way or the other because it's winner take all in the electoral college (except for 2? states that allow splitting of the electoral college votes) if we changed to a popular vote system, i'd be voting every single time because it would feel meaningful again. every four years it seems like florida decides who gets to be president. why not just have people in florida vote? :glare: