Menu

I need some help with anxiety/depression issues - meds.

StaceyinLA

I've been really struggling over these last few months. I took Zoloft last year for a period of time, and was doing better before my mom's last few months and some other issues earlier this year. I also just have a lot of stressful issues in my life and feel like I'm being pulled in twenty different directions.

I've gone through menopause, so have basically ZERO hormones at all (no estrogen OR testosterone). I never have desire for teA and it's painful anyway. Yes, this is relevant to the entire scenario.

So if you were in this situation, would you take something like Zoloft, or would you do a stent with the hormones? From what I've read they can really improve your mood and anxiety, in addition to helping with the teA issues. I know I've had a couple shots of testosterone and they have helped (I'd have to have estrogen also because I still have pain with teA without it), but I'm just so afraid to do anything like this long term because of side effects.

When is it worth it to just suck it up and do the dang hormones? I know Zoloft will help with my anxiety, but it is not going to help with the other, so would you do the hormones to try and kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak?

I'd really appreciate some help if anyone has any insight here.

Ok, so based on what you've said I'd be inclined to do Zoloft (or whatever med your doc feels best) for sure. 

And, I'd add ask about adding the low dose estrogen vaginal products. Their systemic absorption is low so they're less risky & have fewer side effects & they would deal with your primary issue of regional discomfort.  

:grouphug:

• Like 4

Thanks for the input. I do have an estrogen cream the dr prescribed, but without the testosterone, I basically have ZERO desire anyway.

Of course my main issue right now is the anxiety, but I'm just wondering if I could cover all bases. I know taking Zoloft certainly won't help me in that area.

I guess one thing I would ask is if you think Zoloft might affect your libido.

I wouldn't be personally inclined to go to Zoloft as a quick fix, without looking at other behavioral solutions, for depression - in general I think it's not ideal to use those drugs without other kinds of supports, and it's a commitment to start taking them, and they do have their own side effects. 

I don't know as much about the commitment involved with the hormone therapy, or side effects, so I don't have much to offer as far as that goes.

I am on Effexor and it greatly decreases my sex drive.  I don't know if Zoloft has that effect, but I'd be careful if that's an issue and might try something else first.  I know several anti-depression meds can have that effect.

Do you still have your uterus? If so, talk to your practitioner about the CombiPatch. I've never been big on hormone therapy (used bc pills briefly in my younger years and bio-identical hormones for a handful of months a few years back), but I've worn the CombiPatch for a little over a year now to treat some of the symptoms you've mentioned. I haven't experienced any adverse side effects, and I don't plan to stop it any time soon. It's pretty convenient; you apply a new patch twice a week and don't think about it between times.

Stacey - I replied with this post after I had scanned your OP, and I didn't understand that your primary concern for posting was anxiety/depression. Those were not issues I was dealing with when I made the decision to use the CombiPatch. Mine were related to the teA aspects.

Edited by Jackie in AR

hypothyroid can also kill libido.   allopathic medicine tends to *only* look at tsh for if someone is hypothyroid or not.  tbh - tsh is worthless, and they don't get it into the optimal range anyway.

you need the numbers for free t3 & free t4 and reverse t3.  anemia/low b12 can exacerbate  things.

hypothyroid can also cause depression, and anxiety. . . . and many other issues that are often written off as "post-menopausal/middle age".

you can go to stop the thyroid madness for THEIR list of hypothyroid symptoms which are taken from real thyroid patients whose symptoms disappeared when they were treated to optimal ranges.

eta: typo . . . .

Edited by gardenmom5

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. I believe that's a side effect of many SSRIs, reduced drive.

I think you're being generous.  when I was on one - it was d.e.a.d. dead.

what I do (and it doesn't hurt my drive) is 400mg 5-htp. (my allopath said I could take up to 600mg.)  your body makes it, but not everyone makes enough.  (I dont' break down tryptophan into 5-htp and melatonin).

for dudeling's general anxiety, we use douglas laboratories (brand matters in this case, because of the concentration compared to other brands.) ashwagandha 600mg 2x per day and pure encapsulations bacopa monnieri 2x per day.  they work best in conjunction with each other.

theanine and GABA are also beneficial at taking the edge off.  dudeling  needed stronger.