Menu

Homemade Christmas Gifts - what are your projects?

I'm potting up some baby daylilies I rooted this time last year. These little babies having been living and growing in a pot all year and are ready to go to a flowerbed of their own, so each of my sis-in-laws gets a clump this year. I'll include some seeds from some of my other plants, too.

I may also do simple bib aprons for them as well. Time will tell. We don't have much extended family to buy for, so I can splurge on my sisters of the heart.

I'm trying to come up with a homemade gift for my two adult sons. Next year, I'll make them each a quilt I think, but I need more practice. Food gifts can work for my son that lives on his own, but can't think what to do for the senior who still lives at home.

I'd love to do something sweet and romantic for dh, too.

I just learned how to crochet, like, 2 days ago, and I have already crocheted a bag which I am presently felting. I am so thrilled with how easy it is to crochet a small bag, I am thinking everyone is going to get small crocheted/felted bags for Christmas this year :)

I just learned how to crochet, like, 2 days ago, and I have already crocheted a bag which I am presently felting. I am so thrilled with how easy it is to crochet a small bag, I am thinking everyone is going to get small crocheted/felted bags for Christmas this year :)

Peela, did you use a pattern? If so, can you share? I've seen a few online, but I can't decide which to try.

I would like to make pillowcases with cute Christmas pattern fabric.

I found this pattern:

http://www.karimeaway.com/page.download

Thing is, I have a dumb sewing question -- can I ask in this thread? The directions specify amounts of fabric, with or w/out nap. What is this nap business they're talking about? Anyone?

I like those pillowcases! They would be fun to personalize for kids I think. Hmmmm.....

If someone gave us the wine warmer, the wheely thing or the fabric balls, dh would think they were crazy. He would not allow the wheely thing in our vehicle at all. I have mixed feelings, yes, they may be nice gifts, but it just depends on the receiver.

Phlox

I'm thinking of making the fabric balls for Schmooey. I think he would love them! I have lots of fabric so wouldn't have to buy anything, unless I decided I needed some white or something. You're right, it does depend on the receiver.

i'm working on a variety of crocheted items for the gals on my list...scarves and calorimetries so far.

for my 2 and 5yo i am making some chubby crayons and maybe ordering some blank books to go with since they are really inexpensive anyway.

my 10yo is harder to make for...i need suggestions for a 10yo boy!

I found this pattern:

Thing is, I have a dumb sewing question -- can I ask in this thread? The directions specify amounts of fabric, with or w/out nap. What is this nap business they're talking about? Anyone?

I don't have a sewing machine--do you think it would be alright to hand sew this pillowcases, and aprons?

Thanks!

Peela, did you use a pattern? If so, can you share? I've seen a few online, but I can't decide which to try.

oh gosh, I dont know how to read a pattern yet :)

A friend who is into Waldorf stuff showed me while the kids were doing a science class.

Basically, I crocheted a chain maybe 6 inches long. Then I went back and forth on that a few times to make a rectangle maybe 1.5 inches wide.

Then I crocheted around that in a circular way (just kept going around it) for the bulk of the bag- it naturally curls up into a bag. Maybe 12 inches high.

For the handle, I made a chain and joined it back in on both sides, then continued to crochet above that all round for another inch or so. It leaves a hole on each side.

I am sure it sounds much more complicated than it is!

Even though it looked good just like that, I put it in the washing machine and washed it several times (stopping it from draining, just restarting the machine and putting it through the agitation bit 3 times ).

Voila, a felted crocheted bag.

Not a dumb question at all. Nap in fabric refers to a pile or texture in one direction but not necessarily another. Think of velvet--light from one direction makes it look one way, but the fabric looks different if you change the direction of the light. Corduroy is another example. Think of how the threads stand on the fabric. Textiles with nap have to be pieced together differently for the garment to look right.

For your project, nap would not be important.

An idea for someone who wanted something sweet and romantic for their dh. For last Christmas I got a board and painted it, painted a border around it of a coordinating color, then stenciled the words "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" on it. I didn't even put a hanger on the back--left dh do that after he opened the gift. :) Dh, who doesn't normally get into gifts, was pretty pleased with it. He promptly hung it on our bedroom wall (where I showed him I wanted it, of course).

Oohh, I am so in love with felting--it is just the coolest thing! I just crocheted some felted slippers for myself and am working on a second pair. They are so fast and easy that I'm thinking about working on some this winter to give for next Christmas. I know crocheted slippers sound really corny and old fashioned, but felted ones are NICE! I wanted to knit some, but I can crochet much faster. The pattern I got also has some felted clogs that I'd love to try too. When I was a girl my grandma used to make crocheted slippers for us (not felted back then, of course), and now that I'm old enough to appreciate it, I think they were just soo sweet. Anyway, I'm rambling...have fun crocheting!

Basically, I crocheted a chain maybe 6 inches long. Then I went back and forth on that a few times to make a rectangle maybe 1.5 inches wide.

Then I crocheted around that in a circular way (just kept going around it) for the bulk of the bag- it naturally curls up into a bag. Maybe 12 inches high.

For the handle, I made a chain and joined it back in on both sides, then continued to crochet above that all round for another inch or so. It leaves a hole on each side.

I am sure it sounds much more complicated than it is!

What a great idea! I love using simple instructions like this to make useful items, more than following specific patterns!!

Can you please explain a little further, the part that I bolded above? I'm trying to picture it, but not quite getting it. You've got the chain attached to the bag on each side, but where are you crocheting all around - all around the edge of the bag, or all around the chain handle somehow?

I found this pattern:

Another reason to check the nap is the pattern on the fabric. If you have snowmen all standing upright and if you cut out the front and back of your pattern with the snowmen standing upright on one side, they could end up standing on their heads on the back side.

Okay so I'm just now starting to think about Christmas. But this year for homemade christmas gifts I'm making the kids personalized towels. I'll buy a couple of towels in their favorite colors, cut out their names in a neat font and coordinating fabric then I fuse it together with that fuse stuff and then I maching embroider the edges of the names to the towel.

It's a really simple idea and not that hard to do. I'd say the hardest part is digging out the sewing machine.

And if I have time, I'm going to make them aprons. Both dc spend a lot of time in the kitchen, and dd is tired of getting oil spots on her clothes.:001_smile:Besides, have you seen some of the apron patterns out there? Too cute!

I don't have a sewing machine--do you think it would be alright to hand sew this pillowcases, and aprons?

Thanks!

While this was certainly the methodology for some time, you might want to check with your Extension Service to see if they have sewing lessons and machines available. Our Extension Service will loan out sewing machines and help novice sewers.

4-H also has some great sewing books for children available. This is something that you and Aly could do together. The pillowcase pattern given earlier in the thread is a great first sewing project, particularly if an Extension agent can hold your hand with threading the machine, etc.

Here is a good site for beginning hand sewing projects for a child. I think the draft critter is a great idea. Your child learns to sew and helps reduce your heating bills!

Best regards,

Jane

I'm picking out some nature photos I took to put together some family calendars with family birthdays, anniversaries, etc on them. I'm also shopping for same frames and taking photos of letters of the alphabet from around town to spell last names that I'll print out and put into the frames for various families. Hopefully, I'll finish the quilt I planned on giving to my new nephew when he was born... two months ago! :glare: Besides some breads, cookies, and other edible treats, that's all the limit of the homemade gifts for this year.

color.gif

Can you please explain a little further, the part that I bolded above? I'm trying to picture it, but not quite getting it. You've got the chain attached to the bag on each side, but where are you crocheting all around - all around the edge of the bag, or all around the chain handle somehow?

So the bag is basically crocheted around and around until you get it to almost the height you want. The "handles" are not appendages- although instead you could sew on straps. But what I did is make "holes" large enough for my 4 fingers to slip through, on both sides of the bag, near the top. Does that make sense ?

To make the "holes", instead of continuing to crochet along the bag, I made a short chain and joined it back in, on both sides. So at this stage there is the bag with this funny loop of a chain joined back in at the top of the bag.

Then I just keep crocheting around and around as with the rest of the bag- over the chain- which leaves a hole in the space between where the chain left off and joined back in again. Another inch or so is plenty.

I wish I could draw a picture because it would be so much easier than words!

OK, I have taken a photo of the bag and put it on my blog.

http://shobbrook.blogspot.com/

So the bag is basically crocheted around and around until you get it to almost the height you want. The "handles" are not appendages- although instead you could sew on straps. But what I did is make "holes" large enough for my 4 fingers to slip through, on both sides of the bag, near the top. Does that make sense ?

To make the "holes", instead of continuing to crochet along the bag, I made a short chain and joined it back in, on both sides. So at this stage there is the bag with this funny loop of a chain joined back in at the top of the bag.

Then I just keep crocheting around and around as with the rest of the bag- over the chain- which leaves a hole in the space between where the chain left off and joined back in again. Another inch or so is plenty.

I wish I could draw a picture because it would be so much easier than words!

OK, I have taken a photo of the bag and put it on my blog.

http://shobbrook.blogspot.com/

Oh, that's different from what I was picturing, and tons easier! What a great idea! I'm going to try that sometime - I love to crochet. And knit now that I've finally learned. You can play around with the dimensions of this design, too. Cool! Thanks, Peela, for explaining.