Menu

vent . . . orotho/insurance companies

gardenmom5

we have dental insurance that will pay for orthodontics. . . .

there aren't many to choose from - growl, but I can deal with that. . .

HOWEVER - I have been on the insurance companies website, one entire practic (with multiple orthos and locations) - if yo click on their page, it can't be found.  not for any of the providers from that practice.  If I go to their own website . . none of the providers listed by the insurance company are at that large practice.

then there are three more listed for my city. . . none of them are at the practices listed either.  I called both of them, - and neither receptionist had a clue who I was talking about.  one of them does do ortho, but their phone cut out.  I don't think she knows much about insurance as she asked if it was a PPO or an HMO.  for dental???  even dh - who's an agent - was scratching his head.

then dh called the insurance company to find out what was going on.  he got a temp who gave him the exact information on the website that is utterly worthless. . . .

I've wasted time trying to figure out what ortho to take him to, wondering how they'll deal with an aspie  (I've encountered pediatric providers who shouldn't be in pediatrics for NT kids, let alone NON-nt kids.) . . . it's been stressful.

I don't think she knows much about insurance as she asked if it was a PPO or an HMO.  for dental???  even dh - who's an agent - was scratching his head.

Dental Insurance definitely comes in PPO's and HMO's, so that is a valid question from the office.  Sorry you're having so much trouble finding an office, though.  When I was looking for my oldest, we ended up just calling offices directly and asking if they accepted our insurance.

• Like 3

Dental Insurance definitely comes in PPO's and HMO's, so that is a valid question from the office.  Sorry you're having so much trouble finding an office, though.  When I was looking for my oldest, we ended up just calling offices directly and asking if they accepted our insurance.

Yep,

On both parts. 

Our ortho was a PPO plan, so we only had a couple of choices to choose from.

I called around to verify which offices were currently accepting the plan, and went from there on choosing one.

Yep,

On both parts. 

Our ortho was a PPO plan, so we only had a couple of choices to choose from.

I called around to verify which offices were currently accepting the plan, and went from there on choosing one.

I finally decided to just call the one closest.  when I called  them this morning - they didn't have the dentist the insurance company said they had . . .so, I ended the call.  I decided to call back and ask if they took that insurance (their website only says they take most), as their site does say they do orthodontics.  (and there is another ortho practice - different name - in the same suite.  so, I don't know what's going on.  but then when I called back - at least half a dozen times - all I got was voice mail even though they were supposed to be open.  and they're closed on Fridays. . . . .

I finally decided to just call the one closest.  when I called  them this morning - they didn't have the dentist the insurance company said they had . . .so, I ended the call.  I decided to call back and ask if they took that insurance (their website only says they take most), as their site does say they do orthodontics.  (and there is another ortho practice - different name - in the same suite.  so, I don't know what's going on.  but then when I called back - at least half a dozen times - all I got was voice mail even though they were supposed to be open.  and they're closed on Fridays. . . . .

If the office is not ran in a professional manner, I would skip them if possible.  

I have had the same problem in the past.  I just had to keep calling around.  Sometimes,  I have been able to email the insurance company and ask them to provide and update and Verified list of current providers in our area.  I explain the discrepancy between the website and what I am encountering IRL.  The insurance co, was able to provide me with a more current list.  The one that I had the most problem with, was when my husband worked for an East Coast company, but we lived on the West Coast.  The information on our local providers was out of date. 

• Like 1

BTDT.  DH's employer offers this service where they will find an in-network provider for you.  Last time I asked them to find one they did.  The ortho was 1.5 hours away. In what universe is that reasonable?  I live in a city filled with tons and tons of doctors, dentists, orthodontists, and hell 3 hospitals.

So stupid. 

Do you have out of network benefits on your dental?

If so, see if you can apply your dc's lifetime ortho max $.  Then you can choose whoever you want for your ortho, instead of picking from the in-network list.  That's what we did.  The ins paid their max $ and we paid the rest.