Menu

What kind/grade of math is this?

Chez J

These are some problems from the Miquon Blue book.

(4 x __) + 6 = 46

(10 x __) + 5 = 85

__ x (3 + 1) = 16

Miquon Blue is considered early 2nd grade. My 9yo 3rd grader got it easy, my 7yo 2nd grader had to have some help, but mostly because he wasn't paying attention.

I taught my 6th grade sister last year and that seems very simple for her.

Well, my 4th grader is doing this type of math right now. It is definitely pre-algebra; find the missing factor type stuff. It is simply learning to do the problem in parenthesis first. However, all you have to do is throw an "a" in the blank and you could call that an algebraic equation. :)

(3+5) x ? = 24

8 x a = 24

a = 24/8

a = 3

Edited by Tree House Academy

Singapore 3A standards edition, one of the problems my daughter had in her review today, p. 93

There are 18 chairs in the first row. There are 25 chairs in each of the other 5 rows. How many chairs are there altogether?

Now it's not written out with parentheses, but the operations have to happen as follows:

Number of chairs in first row + number of chairs in other rows = total number of chairs

18 + (5 X 25) =?

So combining addition and multiplication happens at least in 3A in Singapore in the two step word problems (maybe in 2B, can't remember), whether they write it out with parentheses or using their bar method.

I would agree with the 3rd grade analysis...

We use EPGY math online from Stanford... now it IS supposed to be rigorous and college prep, but not age inappropriate. These types of problems, and ones more complex, are included in the 3rd grade curriculum (we're just finishing it up now). Although they tend to use variables, so the problem would be shown as: (3+5) x a = 24, then 8 x a = 24, a = 3. It's really just arithmetic using some algebraic methods. I know ds has learned the commutative, associative and distributive properties this year.

Edited by Kay in Cal

I've already given an answer(pre-algebra), but I'm curious why you asked the question.:confused:

My dd was solving this type problem last night, and we've not ever done this before. She's in Horizons and Singapore 3rd, so we're going to get to it soon I guess. LOL! I just had no idea.