Menu

Hands on Careers for creative girl NOT office based

For example she is into sewing, crochet, textiles, etc.

She will join 4H textiles this year.

She likes digital art but would never want an office job.

She already sells her stuff but she does want to go to college and have a degree or certificate

We are trying to figure out what kind of portfolio she'll need. We were told here and elsewhere that drawing is king, every art college wants to see your drawings and she has some

Ok ones and a lot of cool digital stuff but she really doesn't want to spend years drawing. She loves sewing, fabrics, creating, crochet, etc. :)

Hands-On Creative Occupations

mixed media artist

clothing designer

fashion illustrator (draw clothing designs)

handbag designer

theater costume / wardrobe artist

theater or film set design

dance costume designer

jewelry artist / designer

nail technician or make-up artist

tattoo artist

photo stylist

commercial / industrial designer

cake decorator

florist

US Bureau of Labor: Occupational Outlook: careers for creative people

A lot of these occupations can come about through hands-on training, an apprenticeship, or with an Associate's degree. A portfolio would most likely consist of photographs of works created, with caption or text describing the project.

• Like 2

Look at MECA (Maine College of Art). They take the students through the process of making their own textiles and then design clothes from the textiles they made. Also FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology) in NY is supposed to be amazing for fashion design. Rhode Island School of Design has an apparel design major.

Each school has its own portfolio requirements which are posted on their website. It appears that most art and design colleges require about 1/3 of the portfolio to be drawings from life (landscape, still life, self portrait, etc.). I think the idea is that they need to see how the student sees and interprets the world. The rest of the portfolio can usually be things that reflect their particular interests. I think many students change their majors after a year or two so they need to see a well rounded portfolio before they begin.

No reason one or two of those life drawings can't be of clothing, period costumes, or close ups of textiles.

• Like 2

Highly recommending business classes if offered as electives at the art college. If not, strongly encourage her to take some business courses, even non-credit at community college. I LOVE artists, and it breaks my heart to see them or any creative type doing fabulous work and struggling financially because many that I know are so focused on their art and truly love it but they don't think through all of the business aspects to be truly successful.

At a very minimum, have a basic understanding of personal finance, budgeting, and tax laws related to a business she might have.

(I know that doesn't answer your question, but it is what I've seen far too often with far too many people.)

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 4

My dd is applying to a program in costume design. In her case what she's wanting to do in college is the same stuff she was doing at age 7.  The portfolio sort of takes care of itself.  Maybe if she doesn't have stuff to submit for what they want, she's looking at the wrong program?  I mean, seriously, I think could go to college and major in english, humanities, business, and then minor in textile design and be fine.  Or look for a program that is more specifically textile design or a BFA or more focused on exactly what she wants to do.  Even when you say costume design, for instance, there are BA and BFA programs.  BA programs are common, BFA less so.  

We've also done a lot of online career testing.  She did a lot of career exploration in her mind, trying on things, like what WOULD it be like if she took her people understanding (what underlies many of her interests) and used it for psychology instead?  Or what if she followed the suggestion of one of the career tests and pursued prison warden supervisor?  Or high school english teacher?  Yes, we had no end of laughs that the same test turned up both of those!   :D

So I would definitely find some of the threads for online career tests and try some of that.  If she has a business savvy streak, I would consider a business degree.  Right now what I'm hearing in photography (a pet interest of mine) is that they DON'T encourage you to go to school for it.  They're saying to major in business instead.  And your dd sounds like she's really good about turning her skills into something marketable.  Lots of people are making a living wage income off Etsy.  It really might be that college is kind of superfluous for her.  And if that's the case, then she can think about becoming a better, more well-rounded individual, kwim?  That enriches your art too...

Adding: The way it became obvious my dd's interest in sewing was veering toward costuming (from general to more targeted) just happened by lots of exposures.  I got her in with lots of opera and shakespeare.  It was her, but it was also this broad exposure and lots of time for the way her gifts would apply to become obvious.  When the kid is up late at night researching the nuances of tutus (yes, this is a thing), then that path has been figured out!  LOL  But at those ages (7-12) for me it looked more generic.  She was good at LOTS of things and it wasn't obvious what would rise to the top.  She had to have lots of exposures to let that sort out.  So like right now, yes she reads avidly about tutus, but she's also learning about forensics and landscaping.  That was a really good thing for us, to expose her very diversely and richly.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

I had a friend in college who always loved working with textiles, creating costumes, historical garb, etc.  She was aiming to work at a museum either recreating period pieces or restoring existing samples of clothing and textiles.  While she pursued her degrees, she worked as a milliner's apprentice at a Renaissance Festival and did costuming for small theater productions.  If those area's don't appeal, there's always a market for dressmaking and alterations.  Actually, your DD could probably even start an Etsy shop for her creations now already, if that's something she finds enjoyable.

• Like 2

When I graduated with a degree in Textiles, I was offered management track at a fabric store. (JoAnne's) I already had another job at the time so I turned it down. I think I would have liked the JoAnne's job better!

Rather than art schools, look for schools with robust textiles and fashion design departments. 

Examples:

http://cms.bsu.edu/academics/collegesanddepartments/fcs/academics/masters/progoptions/appareldesign

https://www.cla.purdue.edu/vpa/ad/finearts/textiles.html

http://www.saic.edu/academics/departments/fash/

Edited by MomatHWTK

• 3 weeks later...

I read this book which helps develop fashion drawing skills: Fashion Design Workshop: Stylish step-by-step projects and drawing tips for up-and-coming designers by Stephanie Corfee

This forum has some interesting information: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/visual-arts-film-majors/1564011-design-majors-anyone.html

Is there a community college in your area with a fashion design major? Here in the Baltimore area, Baltimore City Community College has an AS degree in Fashion Design. If your daughter could take some courses, she could learn about how the fashion industry works.

There is a proprietary school called Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising which hosts a fashion club website that may be helpful.

Since your daughter is interested in digital art, has she considered going into fabric design? This blog describes how to design your own fabric: http://www.tillyandthebuttons.com/2014/09/how-to-design-your-own-fabric.html, and this article is about a fabric designer for Liberty of London: http://www.molliemakes.com/interview-2/mollie-makes-meets-liberty-print-designer-keighley-shepherdly/

There are also jobs like music or art therapy. Especially at children's hospitals. If you live in a town with a childrens hospital maybe arrange a visit with them? she may be able to shadow them on the job for a few hours.