Menu

What operas . . .?

Jenny in Florida

Would you think might be good options to take a young-ish kid who has expressed interest in opera to see?

I already thought of Amahl and the Night Visitors (which, as luck would have it, is being produced locally in December) and Hansel and Gretel. I'm pondering The Magic Flute, too.

A little background: This would be for a student I tutor (who is also my next-door neighbor, so I am friendly with the family). She's nine, very sweet and fairly sheltered. Her family is Muslim, which causes me a bit of hesitation about Amahl, since it's Christmas themed, but she has mentioned singing Christmas songs with friends and such. So, I suspect her parents would be okay with it.

I often leave classical music playing softly while we work together, and she always comments on it. She's asked me some questions about opera and has been really excited to see some short videos of my son performing with the opera workshop at his college. I'm thinking that I'd love to indulge that interest and give her a little more exposure.

When my own kids were little, we took them to all kinds of stuff. However, given her family background, I want to tread very carefully.

The professional opera company is running a summer program for teens, and they will be having a final concert. I'm going to contact them and ask about the program. Assuming it is inoffensive, I may see about taking her to that, but I'm sure she'd be a lot more excited about a production with a story she can follow.

So, what else might I keep an eye out for?

I would first find out if seeing any opera would be permitted. Some muslin families do not listen to music with singing. Then, if it is permitted, I'd give the parents an outline of the story and perhaps what to expect in the way of costumes and physical contact between the performers (to the best of your knowledge).  I'd probably lean toward a family version of an opera, where these things would be on the tamer side. 

Edited by wintermom

I would first find out if seeing any opera would be permitted. Some muslin families do not listen to music with singing.

Oh, I will, of course, discuss this with her mother privately before saying anything to my student. Given the fact that she actually asked me about it initially (and has mentioned some favorite songs she hears on the radio), I don't think that's a big issue. But I appreciate that reminder.

We saw Daughter of the Regiment last summer and brought our 14 and 11 year old and that was great.  We've done all 3 that you originally suggested and those were all fantastic with kids.  We're taking them to Rigoletto in a few weeks.  They've seen others - Carmen, Elixor of Love, Tosca, Dream of Valentino, etc so gosh, it's probably hard for me to say since I'm sure I take my own kids to inappropriate kid shows (ummm ... Sweeney Todd anyone.  LOL). 

Les Miserables could be considered an opera done by the right group?  My kids LOVE that. 

I do agree your original 3 picks are probably safest.  Our local opera company did this amazing visually fantastic magic flute that has been done other places.  If you see that in your area, highly recommend!  It's incredible!  Here's the trailer ...

My university did an opera scenes thing from time to time where they chose several great songs from different operas. That would be a really nice introduction for kids who might not want to sit through a four hour opera. I'd check out music programs and ask around about student productions. Also, if you go to the website for Fathom events, they sometimes do operas at your local movie theatre.

• Like 1

My university did an opera scenes thing from time to time where they chose several great songs from different operas. That would be a really nice introduction for kids who might not want to sit through a four hour opera. I'd check out music programs and ask around about student productions. Also, if you go to the website for Fathom events, they sometimes do operas at your local movie theatre.

Yes, I was thinking about the Fathom Events stuff, too. My son and I have gone to a bunch of those over the years. 

My daughter reminded me that the Met has a decent select of videos online that can be rented for $4, too, including two different productions of Hansel & Gretel. So, that may be another opttion.