Menu

Does Anyone Use Google Drive?

Ewe Mama

Help, please!

I have been banging my head against a brick wall all day trying to figure this out. I downloaded the google drive app. I signed in to Google. Now what?

I am looking at screen shots on the Internet, supposedly showing how to use it, but my screen doesn't look like their screen. They have a nice big "New" in the upper left hand corner in red letters. I do not have the word New on any of my screens, red or otherwise.

Sniff. Sniff. How do I get it to say new for me, too? I am seriously ready to cry in frustration. I feel like such a tech failure.

• Like 1

You are using this on ??? tablet? ipad? Mac? PC?

I have it on all my devices (tablets, PCs). On the PC it works just like a flash drive, I can copy or cut and paste files on there. I can save any doc or excel files there like a folder on my hard drive. 

In the app on my phone/tablets, there is a blue plus in the lower right to make a new folder/upload something/scan something/ new google doc. The menu on the upper left shows my account/settings/starred, etc.

What do you want to do in it?

Edited by Um_2_4
  • Like 2

I am on an iPad and the screen shots I'm looking at are from the Google apps learning center site.

I am trying to get all of my PDFs and zip files off my device and into an easily accessible cloud, so I can free up space on the iPad. The files are currently on Adobe, iUnarchive, and GoodReader.

Am I trying to do the impossible?

• Like 1

I found the tutorials to be a little off too. I had my son show me what to do. Now I just google exaclty what I want to do on Google Drive/Docs to try to learn how to do it. (I am used to working on my Mac where things just seem easy or more intuitive to how I think)

• Like 2

Is there something else that is much easier to use with lots of storage for a low price? I'm open to suggestions, but I would like to know my files will be available when needed and that they won't disappear somewhere if an app company I use suddenly goes belly up and disappears.

• Like 1

I am on an iPad and the screen shots I'm looking at are from the Google apps learning center site.

I am trying to get all of my PDFs and zip files off my device and into an easily accessible cloud, so I can free up space on the iPad. The files are currently on Adobe, iUnarchive, and GoodReader.

Am I trying to do the impossible?

So, you should be able to click on the blue plus and choose upload. Then it will give you options of places it can find files on your device. I am not familiar with iUnarchive or Good reader, but they must have a folder where they store files. 

Maybe this tutorial will help: http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/Upload-files-to-Google-Drive-Apple-iPad-mini-64GB/WScenario_542_44956_771_en_1645-dvc6750006prd ??

• Like 3

I have been using "DropBox" (a free account) for years, and it has saved my rear, several times.  I cannot imagine that Google Drive works much differently, if in any way differently. Once you set up accounts on each device, when you Add, Delete or Modify a file on one device, each device Syncs up automatically.   My guess is that you place a file into the appropriate Google Drive Folder and that is it. YouTube is another source of Tutorials and How Tos.  Sometimes, one person can explain something that someone else can understand, and another person can explain it so I can understand.  If at first you do not like a Tutorial or How To, look for another one.  GL 

• Like 1

I have been using "DropBox" (a free account) for years, and it has saved my rear, several times.  I cannot imagine that Google Drive works much differently, if in any way differently. Once you set up accounts on each device, when you Add, Delete or Modify a file on one device, each device Syncs up automatically.   My guess is that you place a file into the appropriate Google Drive Folder and that is it. YouTube is another source of Tutorials and How Tos.  Sometimes, one person can explain something that someone else can understand, and another person can explain it so I can understand.  If at first you do not like a Tutorial or How To, look for another one.  GL 

I had a hard time with Drop Box.  I stored some giant files for a team on there, and every time I opened it the program kept trying to copy the files to my computer.  I never could figure out how to stop it.

The team now uses Google Drive, and when we researched it seemed one of the better options.  Drop Box was the closest alternative.

• Like 1

I've always found uploading through the Google Drive app to be terribly slow and often glitchy with synchronizing. It's easier and faster to go to your  Google Drive via browser and upload it directly. This is faster for me.

• Like 3

I've always found uploading through the Google Drive app to be terribly slow and often glitchy with synchronizing. It's easier and faster to go to your Google Drive via browser and upload it directly. This is faster for me.

Thanks, Peach.

I know this is going to sound stupid, but what would it look like going through my browser to upload? If I tap on Safari, enter Google Drivr into the search box, and click on My Drive in the results? Is that the correct process?

OP if you are on ADSL it will take quite awhile to Upload large files to "the Cloud".  ADSL is configured so that the majority of your Bandwidth is dedicated to Downloading files, which is what one does the majority of the time. A minority of the Bandwidth is dedicated to Uploading files.  So, if there are large files, Uploading them will take much longer than Downloading them. I'm not sure if Cable Modem is configured the same way. It has been many years since we had Cable Modem service.

There is another thing I would like to mention to you. This is *NOT* a replacement for having things in "the Cloud". This is in addition to that and a Local backup.  We have in the house two Western Digital External USB hard drives. The first one I bought is 1 TB and after we got that one, we ended up giving it to my Stepson.  It is a more "upscale" model, with Software that I would never have used.  Then, we bought a 2 TB drive. I use that drive to make "System Images" of the hard drives, with Clonezilla LIve.  

It would be good for you to have both a Local Backup and a Backup in "the Cloud".  

Thanks, Peach.

I know this is going to sound stupid, but what would it look like going through my browser to upload? If I tap on Safari, enter Google Drivr into the search box, and click on My Drive in the results? Is that the correct process?

YEs. the direct route is drive.google.com and log in. It will then show you all your files/folders. Click New...it's in a red button on the left, then choose file upload (or folder if you want to move a whole folder). This is also the menu to make new documents, spreadsheets etc.