Menu

The Great Courses: anyone used these?

brynndolyn

I'm considering purchasing the Latin 101 course http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/latin-101-learning-a-classical-language.html It's on sale for $54. I'm doing a lot of running lately and thought maybe I could listen while I run. I'm hopefully going to start my kids in Latin next year so I thought that might give me a head start.

Has anyone used these courses? Does that seem like something that would be useful? It's not a ton of money, but at the same time if it's not going to be helpful then I don't want to do it! :)

I have not used the Latin course, but I have used several Great Courses.  Some are quite good (Vandiver's Iliad and Odyssey, Big History, and Understanding the Universe), many have their moments (the US history and the ancient history of science one), and some are pretty awful (meteorology).  I should also admit that I have purchased probably ten times more courses than I've actually used... Their marketing technique of having the courses go on sale every so often is amazingly effective.

• Like 4

We not used the Latin, but many others.    They are mostly good, in my experience.  We also have bought more than we will ever use.  Now that homeschooling is coming to an end for me, this is one of the things I'm saddest about - no more GC!   (Of course I could use them for my own learning.)

• Like 1

My husband has quite a few, but not the Latin one. The quality varies depending on the teacher, but he's been happy with them overall.

They do have a very nice guarantee: "If a course is ever less than completely satisfying, you may exchange it for another of equal value at any time. You may also return any course, within one year of initial purchase, for a full refund."