Menu

If I only get to two rounds of chronological history at the end of 10th grade, what..

dorothy

do I do with 11th and 12th grade?

If we keep plugging along, my eldest dd wil get 2, rather than 3, rounds of chronological history and will only have 11th and 12th grade left at that point. What would I do for the two years? I will not have time for another round so what should I focus on?

Does a Great Books study take the place of history?

Should I focus on American History and Government for two years?

Should we pick one period in history and become "experts"?

I am definitely getting ahead of myself, but am trying to create a BIG PICTURE for us.

Thanks.

I would continue in the rotation--do great books for ancients and then do a year that include some medieval and some early mod--sort of stretch that medieval another hundred years or so to include the development of Am gov. I would add in some readings like Thomas Paine and deTocqueville (hope I spelled that right). If you follow WTM, you just fold in those readings.

I would check to see what the state require for graduation. Most require American History and Government/Economics.

There are no requirements for homeschoolers to graduate, although it might be useful to see what is required for public school students to graduate...and that is usually American history and U.S. government/economics.

Another option is to study the whole sweep of history one more time, as a college-type survey course, by semester:

11th Grade, Fall Semester ------- Ancient Civilizations

11th Grade, Spring Semester ----- Middle Ages

12th Grade, Fall Semester -------- Exploration & Discovery

12th Grade, Spring Semester ----- Modern Times (with a focus on American Government, assuming you are in the USA)

In this way your daughter would be exposed to the broad overview of history once again. She could thoroughly memorize/master the timeline (highlights) of Western civilization, something most college graduates have not done. She could also focus on one particular (more detailed) subject of interest as a research topic for each semester. This might be good preparation for college-level courses (a semester is usually 15 weeks, but you could make yours 18 weeks or half of your school year).

I think that for a mature enough junior/senior HS student, especially one who has studied history chronologically TWICE, this would be the way to go. HTH.

I would consider doing what floated my boat...perhaps more history of the time period the student felt most passionate about. Perhaps geography, civics, philosophy. Wow, I think it's an exciting prospect to have the freedom to do what appeals...or fulfill requirements...or both.

We are passionate about history and literature here...my son will have done two cycles by grade 10 too, and I am looking forward to the prospect of following deeper into his areas of interest.