Menu

For anyone who's switched from Ambleside Online to Memoria Press

I've really enjoyed the literature from AO, but I also find it overwhelming at times. I feel like CM (via AO) covers so many different things at once. I LOVE the idea of the emphasis on all the extras - arts, music, handwork, et...but we struggle to get to any of that. That being said, I wonder if MP will feel too much too soon for us? I'm a huge fan of letting little ones have tons of time for exploring, pretending, etc...and not so much worrying about academics at the younger ages. That being said, my oldest struggles with the basics. He's a late bloomer in terms of reading, but we're getting there. Since reading hasn't come naturally to me, I think the AO approach of letting him absorb grammar and such at younger ages through copywork could possibly be a disservice to him (I think it could work well for a child who naturally picks those things up). So I like the idea of him working through grammar, writing, and spelling and such at younger ages. That being said, if I do MP, I'm considering subbing All About Spelling and All About Reading for my oldest. I may go ahead and try the MP recommendations with my younger when he gets to that and see how he does first (he turns five this year, so I'd probably do the Pre-K with him this year - don't think he's developmentally ready for K).

Anyways, for those that switched from AO, why did you decide to make the switch? Did you have a hard time letting go of AO? I admit that I really loved the literature selections from Year 1. That being said, overall my son had mixed feelings on it and dislikes narration (but he's improved). We may not have a choice but to continue AO for a bit anyways because of our budget, but I'm considering maybe adding in some MP resources as we have funds to see how he responds to them. He's great in math and uses Singapore and so we would keep that rather than switch. But I guess it's the basics - reading, writing, grammar, spelling, etc...where I'm a bit concerned that he may not get what he needs from AO.

How does the workload compare to AO? He would be doing third grade (I think) although I'm a bit uncertain about that since his abilities seem to be all over the place. It does seem like this approach is more "workbookish". I'm not sure how he'll respond. On one hand I don't think he cares for workbook pages. On the other hand, he breezes right through his math pages and then it's done and he can move on with his day. I almost wonder if he might like something more structured where he can just get his sheets done and move on with his day.

As for my youngest, he's very very bouncy and his attention span is not much at all. He's only four. He turns five in July. How much work is the Pre-K? I don't want something that's going to turn him off from learning or be too intense for a five year old. And with AO they wouldn't recommend anything until year 1 (which they recommend between age 6 and 7 depending on the maturity of the child).

Another question I have is that I saw in the curriculum packages the books have study guides. I admit that I like the CM idea of not doing that sort of thing and just allowing a child to develop their ideas and relationship to books naturally. I think the reason I tend this way is that I remember studying literature in public school and I hated the classics. I left high school thinking they were boring and awful. I think having everything related to a question about this character or this interaction or that situation killed my enjoyment of the book. As an adult I've been able to reread some of the classics and found that I enjoy them immensely when I get to read them and enjoy the story and characters and reflect on them in my own way. So I don't know about doing that part of the curriculum. I'm still open to hearing thoughts on that though if anyone has strong feelings regarding the merit of such an approach.

I apologize if this post is all over the place. I'm just not sure what we'll do and honestly, we can't afford to change much of anything right now anyways. But I thought it'd be good to start thinking about this and learning more about MP.

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

This isn't a btdt, but MP really appeals to me in many ways and I considered switching to it last year. I emailed with a number of moms who were using it with their kids and asked a lot of questions.

One question really hit me: "How do your kids learn best?" MP gives the child a bit at a time with the goal of mastery. CM approaches throw tons of information at the child, letting the child absorb what he wants while he makes his own connections. I have kids who thrive on the "throw a bunch at them" approach. I had a great pianist who wanted to quit when he had a mastery-before-moving-on teacher. My daughter is finally thriving in math because I moved her to a "throw tons of ideas" at her program.

If your look at your kids and come to the same conclusions, maybe listen to scheduling podcasts from A Delectable Education or read about CM scheduling at Sabbath Mood Homeschool. 

Emily

• Like 2

Interesting point Emily. Our math program is mastery based (Singapore) and it's been wonderful for my son. He has a fantastic grasp on it and does well with it. I'm actually thinking he may be in the mastery category rather than the "throw a bunch at them" approach. I think maybe my personal learning style fits in well with Ambleside, but I'm wondering if maybe his doesn't. 

That being said, AO hasn't been bad necessarily. I've caught him acting out things that happened in the stories on his own and I do see occasionally things he's pulled from the readings in his play. But we also struggle with it a lot - getting things done, narrating, etc...I wonder if a more direct approach where he could get it done and move on with his day a bit easier would be better for him. I don't know. I've considered maybe just trying out the materials in a few subjects if/when I can find funds for that and just see what we think about those things.

I do love AO though. I just loved a lot of the readings. There were a few that we dropped, but overall I thought the quality was amazing. I do see the fruit of that in his vocabulary.

I'm wondering what you mean by a late reader?  How old is he?  I am not surprised that if he is late, a CM approach isn't showing a lot of dividents yet as far as grammar, but I guess I would wonder if another program would either?  I tend to think reading should be solid before starting either grammar or much in the way of mechanics.

In fact I have doubts that grammar is really solidly and contextually understood by many of the kids who use explicit programs in early elementary.  A common complaint with early grammar programs is that kid's don't retain or can't apply what they have learned in other contexts, and the common response is that it is normal.

I think a lot of the AO books are too difficult for the age they assign them, so looking at other options might be an idea. 

• Like 1

Memoria press in elementary grades is SO much busywork imo. If your child loves workbooks then go for it. If you are really in love with narration and hesitsnt to enforce workbook work, i think you should skip mp.

Have you looked at the Enrichment Guides? You don't have to do everything MP uses. For K we just added the K Enrichment Guide to AAR/AAS and our math to round things out. It was a great fit. You could always use some of their recommendations for your older child but don't feel like you gave to do it all at once. Try something out and see if it works.

We haven't used AO, but were CM HSers.  I'm currently in the process of switching over to MP materials.  After reading Latin-Centered Curriculum a couple months ago, I immediately knew this was the direction I wanted our education to go.  WTM methods never felt quite right to me (mainly due to the large number of books to be read), and CM methods haven't been particularly effective with our family.  LCC seems like the best of both methods to me.   With CM methods, I felt overwhelmed with all the topics we covered.  Even though we kept our lessons short, it was still too much to get through, and I feel like our 3Rs subjects were lost by "spreading the feast".   For the last couple months, I've been using our same materials, but following a LCC schedule.  Basically we've been spending our mornings with math, Latin, literature & some language arts, leaving one content subject for the afternoons.  I'm amazed at how much better I feel about our day!  I think MP will even give my 6yo more time to play, since she won't be joining in with as many subjects with us.  Before we did most subjects as a family, starting when they were 6yo.  Now she'll be able to complete her lesson in the morning, giving her plenty of time for play.

My biggest concerns with CM have been writing.  I'm not seeing great results from oral and written narrations.  I feel like we've given it plenty of time, yet my oldest is still really struggling with writing.  I actually feel like CM methods have harmed her, since she writing used to come easy to her.   :crying:  Currently we are using ELTL, which includes some lessons inspired by the Progym.  DD has done well with these, and I only wish it included more.  I think Classical Composition could be a really good fit for her, and it has lots of teaching helps with the DVD & teacher guide.  

My 2nd biggest concern with CM has been all the teacher guides that have us "read & narrate".  As I get towards high school, I feel like we are missing out on great discussions.  I'm actually looking forward to MP's teacher's guides and all their helps!  We may not get to all of the workbook questions.  In fact, I'll probably add in notebooking instead, but I like that we have the questions for discussion and the extra activities available to us.  We'll probably practice writing some of the answers on our notebook pages, instead of in the actual student guides.  For some subjects, I'm just purchasing the teacher guides.    

Have you looked at the Simply Classical program for your younger child?  It seems many families prefer it over the MP JrK & K programs.  I'm not sure what route I'll go with my youngest, but he's only 2, so I have awhile to decide.  ;)  I am using their standard preschool program with him, but it's the same program as Simply Classical A...I think they just took out some evaluation pages and a space to write down therapies.  

I also agree that it doesn't have to be all our nothing.  I picked up their individual lesson planner, so I can add in our own materials.  We'll also be using some things as a family, even though the MP cores would have them as individual subjects.  Classical studies, Bible, modern studies, and science seem like we'd be able to combine, at least from 3rd through 8th grades.  I'd already purchased several things for next year, based on WTM suggestions.  I was able to slot these into the individual lesson planner and fill in with MP on the remaining subjects.  My 1st grader is only using the enrichment guide since we already have math and lots of phonics.  I'd already picked up R&S spelling & penmanship, so those will be covered with non-MP choices, yet we are covering the same subjects as MP's first grade core.    

I still plan on adding in some CM items, but they will take the back burner in our "morning basket".  We'll only get to them after the bulk of our school is completed, which I really thing is how it should be.

• Like 1

I'm wondering what you mean by a late reader?  How old is he?  I am not surprised that if he is late, a CM approach isn't showing a lot of dividents yet as far as grammar, but I guess I would wonder if another program would either?  I tend to think reading should be solid before starting either grammar or much in the way of mechanics.

In fact I have doubts that grammar is really solidly and contextually understood by many of the kids who use explicit programs in early elementary.  A common complaint with early grammar programs is that kid's don't retain or can't apply what they have learned in other contexts, and the common response is that it is normal.

I think a lot of the AO books are too difficult for the age they assign them, so looking at other options might be an idea. 

I agree with this; especially where boys are concerned. I have always taking the light road to grammar. I hear people fuss about LLATL not being enough, but it really is. No child that young needs a lot of grammar. And if they didn't get any at all till about 4th grade that would be fine too. Most are just not really ready for those concepts. 

Also, Bluegoats comment about AO readings being too advanced for the age level they are generally assigned for...I agree. There are those who do well, but many who do not. My dd did Y1 when she was 7, but was not ready for Y2 when she was 8. Now at 10 yo she almost done with Y3 first term. We are moving thru it quickly (at about 2 weeks worth of assignments in 1 week ) because of her age and ability. But before she was not ready for the level of difficulty. Now we are drinking in each page of loveliness. 

If you look at Laurke's Pinterest you will see that she list a wide age level for each year of AO. If you take a peak you will see she list AO Y1 for ages 6-9. 

You child may just be like many others. Take a break from AO. You can always go back later if you wish.  :thumbup:

• Like 2

We haven't used AO, but were CM HSers.  I'm currently in the process of switching over to MP materials.  After reading Latin-Centered Curriculum a couple months ago, I immediately knew this was the direction I wanted our education to go.  WTM methods never felt quite right to me (mainly due to the large number of books to be read), and CM methods haven't been particularly effective with our family.  LCC seems like the best of both methods to me.   With CM methods, I felt overwhelmed with all the topics we covered.  Even though we kept our lessons short, it was still too much to get through, and I feel like our 3Rs subjects were lost by "spreading the feast".   For the last couple months, I've been using our same materials, but following a LCC schedule.  Basically we've been spending our mornings with math, Latin, literature & some language arts, leaving one content subject for the afternoons.  I'm amazed at how much better I feel about our day!  I think MP will even give my 6yo more time to play, since she won't be joining in with as many subjects with us.  Before we did most subjects as a family, starting when they were 6yo.  Now she'll be able to complete her lesson in the morning, giving her plenty of time for play.

My biggest concerns with CM have been writing.  I'm not seeing great results from oral and written narrations.  I feel like we've given it plenty of time, yet my oldest is still really struggling with writing.  I actually feel like CM methods have harmed her, since she writing used to come easy to her.   :crying:  Currently we are using ELTL, which includes some lessons inspired by the Progym.  DD has done well with these, and I only wish it included more.  I think Classical Composition could be a really good fit for her, and it has lots of teaching helps with the DVD & teacher guide.  

My 2nd biggest concern with CM has been all the teacher guides that have us "read & narrate".  As I get towards high school, I feel like we are missing out on great discussions.  I'm actually looking forward to MP's teacher's guides and all their helps!  We may not get to all of the workbook questions.  In fact, I'll probably add in notebooking instead, but I like that we have the questions for discussion and the extra activities available to us.  We'll probably practice writing some of the answers on our notebook pages, instead of in the actual student guides.  For some subjects, I'm just purchasing the teacher guides.    

Have you looked at the Simply Classical program for your younger child?  It seems many families prefer it over the MP JrK & K programs.  I'm not sure what route I'll go with my youngest, but he's only 2, so I have awhile to decide.   ;)  I am using their standard preschool program with him, but it's the same program as Simply Classical A...I think they just took out some evaluation pages and a space to write down therapies.  

I also agree that it doesn't have to be all our nothing.  I picked up their individual lesson planner, so I can add in our own materials.  We'll also be using some things as a family, even though the MP cores would have them as individual subjects.  Classical studies, Bible, modern studies, and science seem like we'd be able to combine, at least from 3rd through 8th grades.  I'd already purchased several things for next year, based on WTM suggestions.  I was able to slot these into the individual lesson planner and fill in with MP on the remaining subjects.  My 1st grader is only using the enrichment guide since we already have math and lots of phonics.  I'd already picked up R&S spelling & penmanship, so those will be covered with non-MP choices, yet we are covering the same subjects as MP's first grade core.    

I still plan on adding in some CM items, but they will take the back burner in our "morning basket".  We'll only get to them after the bulk of our school is completed, which I really thing is how it should be.

Something I'd just point out - narration for a child in high school or middle school shouldn't look like it did in elementary school - it isn't just telling back.  That is the basics - but once that is fairly solid it should include all kinds of things like compare and contrast, analysis, making arguments, and so on.

Thanks so much for all the responses. I only have a minute, so hopefully a bit later I can clarify a bit more. But here's a few things. By late, I meant that he's a late bloomer in terms of reading (which I realize can be very normal). He's close to 9, He'll be 9 in July. MP doesn't start grammar until 3rd grade if I'm looking at their curriculum correctly. It's very much a memorization based grammar program at that age from what I can tell, so the goal isn't necessarily great understanding until later. My DS does great with memorization. We have not done as much with that and he struggles to remember all of the little rules of reading. I wonder if we'd had more of a memorization focus with reading if it would have helped him. But who knows? He may have just needed to grow and mature a bit in order to be ready. MP has a mastery-based approach. We've been using Singapore math, which is mastery based, and he's thrived on that approach. We would keep our math curriculum, but I wonder if he'd do well given that MP is mastery based.

The AO readings are advanced, but that hasn't been a problem. At that age, he gets all of his readings read to him and he's not really had much problem with comprehension (except for Shakespeare which is understandable IMO). But we didn't do Year 1 until he was 7 1/2. We're taking a break before Year 2 (or MP or whatever) and just focusing on math, reading, and writing for the summer.

You could always get just the recitation on pdf for memory work if that is draws you to mp. Ive used them for k-3. Or the Living Memory book is excellent for that too.

If you really like CM methods you could also look at a more simplified/lighter version such as Simply Charlotte Mason, or even the free guides at www.charlottemasonhelp.com, which were adapted from AO but are a little more age-appropriate I think for many kids.

Also, you may want to consider looking at symptoms of dyslexia and see if he has some of those.  There's a good list of symptoms at www.dys-add.com.  They say 15-20% of kids have dyslexia, so it seems likely that a large percentage of those "late-blooming readers" actually are dyslexic.  I have a 7.5 YO that up until a couple months ago thought was just a late bloomer, until I started looking at dyslexia symptoms and realized how many of them he had.  This would be important to know because a dyslexic child is likely to have some additional struggles in various areas even if they do start reading reasonably well, so you might find that it's less an issue of curriculum choices and more about any underlying issues that might be going on.  For example, my 10 YO who likely has stealth dyslexia memorizes things like reading or spelling rules and grammar rules easily, but has a really hard time actually applying them.

Something I'd just point out - narration for a child in high school or middle school shouldn't look like it did in elementary school - it isn't just telling back.  That is the basics - but once that is fairly solid it should include all kinds of things like compare and contrast, analysis, making arguments, and so on.

This is exactly why I'm struggling with CM methods as they get older.  My CM teacher guides pretty much leave instructions at "read and narrate".  That's about the extent of it.  :(   All the CM writing information I've come across gives me the impression they will just pick up writing methods through reading good books, copywork/dictation, and narrations.  With DD really struggling with written narrations, it's been a huge disappointment, and advice from CM moms is always "give it more time".   With DD going into high school and struggling to write a basic paragraph, despite years of oral & written narrations, I'm not seeing that more time has been helpful for her.  I'm upset with myself for not trying something else sooner.  I have no doubt that CM methods are helpful for many HSers or there wouldn't be so many long-term CM homeschoolers, but for some reason they just aren't working here, especially with writing and my oldest DD.  

Recently I've purchased some classical based materials, and I've been amazed at how much teaching guidance is there.  WWS's teacher's guide is the size of a phone book!  It gives me questions to ask her when she gets stuck, something I never found in other resources.  ELTL, which is a mix of classical & CM, has tons of helps and explains what's required of them in their narrations.  That had been the first decent CM instruction we'd come across, and it isn't purely CM.  ELTL also introduced me to the Progym writing methods, with which I'm starting to see improvement in her writing.  That's what got me looking into classical writing and comparing the two methods.

Bluegoat, I'm pretty sure we're switching to MP's Classical Compositions, at least for the coming year, but I'd be interested in hearing what materials you've personally found helpful with regards to writing instruction.  I would have loved something that got into more advanced written narrations, or even more specific help with getting them started, but I've never come across anything very detailed, aside from ELTL.      

Swimming-duck, MP covers grammar through their Latin program, which starts in 2nd grade.  Their English Grammar Recitation is intended to apply the grammar rules, learned in the Latin lessons, to the English language.  Then, just before high school, they do a more thorough overview of grammar.  I've been spending quite a bit of time on their website figuring it all out.  I have 4 school aged DC, so I'm pretty much looking at all the grade levels at this point!    :lol:

CM schools began Latin instruction in the 4th grade, I'm guessing she would have included grammar here.  I don't see why you couldn't begin MP's Latin program at this point.  I'm pretty sure you can jump in with the First Form Latin around this age.  

This is exactly why I'm struggling with CM methods as they get older.  My CM teacher guides pretty much leave instructions at "read and narrate".  That's about the extent of it.   :(   All the CM writing information I've come across gives me the impression they will just pick up writing methods through reading good books, copywork/dictation, and narrations.  With DD really struggling with written narrations, it's been a huge disappointment, and advice from CM moms is always "give it more time".   With DD going into high school and struggling to write a basic paragraph, despite years of oral & written narrations, I'm not seeing that more time has been helpful for her.  I'm upset with myself for not trying something else sooner.  I have no doubt that CM methods are helpful for many HSers or there wouldn't be so many long-term CM homeschoolers, but for some reason they just aren't working here, especially with writing and my oldest DD.  

Recently I've purchased some classical based materials, and I've been amazed at how much teaching guidance is there.  WWS's teacher's guide is the size of a phone book!  It gives me questions to ask her when she gets stuck, something I never found in other resources.  ELTL, which is a mix of classical & CM, has tons of helps and explains what's required of them in their narrations.  That had been the first decent CM instruction we'd come across, and it isn't purely CM.  ELTL also introduced me to the Progym writing methods, with which I'm starting to see improvement in her writing.  That's what got me looking into classical writing and comparing the two methods.

Bluegoat, I'm pretty sure we're switching to MP's Classical Compositions, at least for the coming year, but I'd be interested in hearing what materials you've personally found helpful with regards to writing instruction.  I would have loved something that got into more advanced written narrations, or even more specific help with getting them started, but I've never come across anything very detailed, aside from ELTL.      

I haven't gone far enough to need to look for anything for the age group your daughter is, however, I do think there are programs that are compatible with what CM was getting at with writing.  

I think you are right that a lot of the CM programs don't give good instruction for writing for older students.  They seem to do well at the oral narration stage, and the transition to written narrations, and then they seem to leave it, not even giving an idea what might come next.  My feeling is that for parents who are comfortable with more advanced writing they can go on from there, so long as there are no special issues with the child.  But it seems to leave everyone else in the lurch.  (Maybe there is space out there for a good CM middle/high school program?)

I do think into middle school time it's worthwhile to look at writing programs if you think you need them.  I think a lot of the progymnasmata type programs are very much within the right kind of scope of CM - you are starting off with a real story and then looking at how it works and is put together, and practicing it. Middle school kids are able to be more reflective about their work than younger ones are so more explicit instruction can be appropriate.  So Classical Compositions might be ideal - most of the criticism I've heard about it are that it is fussy for the teacher. I've been looking at Bravewriter myself.  But since you feel like your daughter is struggling with the basics, I guess the most important question would be why?  Choosing a program that can address her particular struggle would be ideal.

I like some of the SCM products for younger students with regard to narrations - they are more laid out and she has some good advice in her videos as well.  But I think what you are looking for goes a little beyond that.

• Like 1

Really, you do not need a boxed program. It is not an all or nothing thing. Why not do half of what AO suggests? Or even less. 

Personally, for me, I just pick what I like and do that. I do not hold myself to the confines of one person's program over another. Also, I have noticed that publishers, wanting to make their profit (of course they do, this is their job, their livelihood, how they feed themselves and anything else) will add every single thing they can come up with at a grade level and put it in to a package and sell to you. And if you are like me, you purchased it so you have to do it, you will be screwed if you purchase an entire grade level program. 

At 3rd grade level, so far, my children have done a grammar and writing program. This is not an entire language arts program, it is just a writing and grammar program. And I also have them do spelling and handwriting. And we do math. Then we add in something for science and do SOTW. We do not do all the activities from SOTW. In fact, while we own the activity guides, we actually do very few of the activities. We read a lot of books from the library, or from the used book store. I keep in mind the book lists from places like AO, Sunlight, MFW, etc. But, we get what we can get. Home schooling is just that simple. It does not need to be complicated. 

• Like 2

My child who hates Singapore Math loves MP. My one who loves SM does not care for MP.

Oh wow. That's so interesting! I would've guessed it'd be the other way. So what does your child who loves SM use for other subjects?

Edited by swimming-duck

Really, you do not need a boxed program. It is not an all or nothing thing. Why not do half of what AO suggests? Or even less. 

Personally, for me, I just pick what I like and do that. I do not hold myself to the confines of one person's program over another. Also, I have noticed that publishers, wanting to make their profit (of course they do, this is their job, their livelihood, how they feed themselves and anything else) will add every single thing they can come up with at a grade level and put it in to a package and sell to you. And if you are like me, you purchased it so you have to do it, you will be screwed if you purchase an entire grade level program. 

At 3rd grade level, so far, my children have done a grammar and writing program. This is not an entire language arts program, it is just a writing and grammar program. And I also have them do spelling and handwriting. And we do math. Then we add in something for science and do SOTW. We do not do all the activities from SOTW. In fact, while we own the activity guides, we actually do very few of the activities. We read a lot of books from the library, or from the used book store. I keep in mind the book lists from places like AO, Sunlight, MFW, etc. But, we get what we can get. Home schooling is just that simple. It does not need to be complicated. 

I actually really completely agree with this. We have some craziness going on in our life right now (daddy is a full-time student and working and I'm now a full-time student and soon to be working full-time and school part-time). So I admit that having everything come together in a put together curriculum is appealing to me right now because of our specific circumstances. I am definitely one to drop pieces that don't work. Even though we did AO, I added and dropped things as I felt worked for us. But as a starting point, I'm liking the idea of having something more concrete and all put together for me until we're through this phase of life. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but I think it's just maybe how I'm wired to deal with this busyness in our lives!

Oh...and if I don't switch to MP, my plan was to just go ahead with Year Two, but as you suggested Janeway, not do all of it. I already created my curriculum plan which drops some of the AO list. And my plan was to slow the pace as needed while we get through this year. After this year and a few months or so I won't have to work anymore, but I"ll be a half-time student. So I *think* doing school with the kiddos will be much more manageable at that point!

Really great stuff here ladies for me to think about. I apologize as I've not responded to everything. I just started school Monday, so it's hard to find during the week now. But this weekend I plan to look through this more and really try to reflect and figure out what it is I really want to do with this next year!

Oh wow. That's so interesting! I would've guessed it'd be the other way. So what does your child who loves SM use for other subjects?

The one who loves SM is a little, not wanting to do much. He is definitely a hands on kind of person, moving around. He loves watching documentaries. He loved "How the States Got Their States" and "The Cosmos." I let him do tons of free reading. He never wanted to read earlier on. So I got him on to Bookadventure.com and offered up rewards for points. I let him read any level he wanted. His test scores have gone way up and he no longer struggles. I just had to be patient. He also loves books on tape. We have listened to SOTW and anything else I can get my hands on. I have things from the home school convention, but not in front of me right now. 

I am still trying to decide what to do for writing next year with him. But he loves Spelling Workout and he loves Singapore Math. He also loved the Detectives in Togas book and the others by that author. Really, it is hit and miss with him as he is kind of difficult. But he does better with anything where he can interact. MP is very much so dependent on memorizing and not so much on concepts. So it makes sense. Singapore Math is more focused on concepts and not memorization.