Menu

Tips for learning music fast for choir?

I've joined a no-audition choir, and am faced with learning my part for two Bach cantatas and Handel's Dixit Dominus before November 29th. My old choir in London took things much more slowly.

I don't have time to spend hours studying the sheet music each day, nor do I have a piano to pick out my line. I'm using cyberbass.com in the background while I do other things, hoping that somehow my part will just seep into my brain and voice. I'm also borrowing CDs of the music to listen to in the car. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Laura

Edited by Laura in China

Enlist your sons to quiz you? I've done what you have with CDs before and found it really helpful. Are you more concerned with the words or the actual music? If it is the actual music I've had some luck with looking at the music and picking out where it has a repeating theme - ie. the structure of the piece. That takes a bit of study but it helps you to see that not all the notes are new. So if you learn part A really well, then move on to part B, you'll know that it switches back to part A again (so you don't have to relearn that part). Does that make sense? Or you see that part A when it comes up again has only a few variations so you concentrate just on those.

I don't have to sing without the score, so I'm more concerned about hitting the notes right/not constantly feeling like I'm sight reading - the words I can read as I go along. I'll have a look at structure - one of the cantatas I actually studied at school, so I'll see what I can dredge up from twenty years ago.

Thanks

Laura

you have plenty of time. I think the best thing is to not panic and do a little work on it every day. If you can get the music that would be a big help. How often does your choir meet? You aren't expected to just learn it without practicing as a choir are you? I think you'll be just fine, it sounds doable. :) Perhaps I'm not helping :tongue_smilie:. I'm just choir mom and opera mom so I'm used to being the cheerleader. I'm always amazed at how fast they learn these incredibly intense pieces.

I've joined a no-audition choir, and am faced with learning my part for two Bach cantatas and Handel's Dixit Dominus before November 29th. My old choir in London took things much more slowly.

I don't have time to spend hours studying the sheet music each day, nor do I have a piano to pick out my line. I'm using cyberbass.com in the background while I do other things, hoping that somehow my part will just seep into my brain and voice. I'm also borrowing CDs of the music to listen to in the car. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Laura

I'm so jealous!:D Seriously, I'm sure you can do it. I agree with what the others said. Take it a little at a time and you'll fine. Have fun for me. I have no time for choirs right now.

you have plenty of time. I think the best thing is to not panic and do a little work on it every day. If you can get the music that would be a big help. How often does your choir meet? You aren't expected to just learn it without practicing as a choir are you? I think you'll be just fine, it sounds doable. :) Perhaps I'm not helping :tongue_smilie:. I'm just choir mom and opera mom so I'm used to being the cheerleader. I'm always amazed at how fast they learn these incredibly intense pieces.

The choir meets for two hours, once a week. We had our first meeting last Friday and did a complete sing through; I was fairly lost in the Bach and completely lost in the Handel. I think everyone was rather at sea though, so I'm not alone.

Thanks again - I'll keep plugging away (listening to the Handel as I type).

Laura

...I'm sure that you'll be able to pick this up in no time!

If you listen to the CD's over and over, you'll find, I think, that you'll be able to 'Hear Yourself' into the music after a while. About once a day if you can manage it, listen to the CDs while reading along in the music, not out loud, but just in your head. After about 2 weeks of that, then try singing your part out loud along with it. The point of the delay is to hear it a lot before you start to sing it wrongly--to prevent learning it wrong and then having to relearn it.

This sounds just wonderful! So happy for you!

If you listen to the CD's over and over, you'll find, I think, that you'll be able to 'Hear Yourself' into the music after a while. About once a day if you can manage it, listen to the CDs while reading along in the music, not out loud, but just in your head. After about 2 weeks of that, then try singing your part out loud along with it. The point of the delay is to hear it a lot before you start to sing it wrongly--to prevent learning it wrong and then having to relearn it.

This sounds just wonderful! So happy for you!

I'm really looking forward to this: I haven't sung in a choir since I was still rushing home to feed newborn Calvin!

Laura

Absolutely listen to the CD over and over -- it is the best way. My oldest sings in a small vocal ensemble where he has to memorize his part, and he listens to cds of the music and also has a little recording devise that attaches to his iPod so he can record rehearsals and listen to that during the week.

I play violin so I don't have to worry about lyrics, but I've found listening really helps cement in my head what the music is supposed be like all put together, especially if it is something hard or important or both! And as someone said, in a few weeks you can sing along with a recording to work on your part. Bach has interesting harmonies, and getting them dead on makes or breaks the music. What fun!

At rehearsal, try to seat yourself next to a strong singer/sight reader. You'll probably be able to figure out who's who after a couple of practices. And I don't necessarily mean the "best" singer...but the one who seems to be able to confidently find the notes and sing the part.

At home, sit with your score while listening to the music and try to pick out your line. You'll feel more confident after each weekly practice and will know more and more of your part.

Things will come together...I've been singing in a choir for years and the first week on a piece can seem really disheartening. You will be amazed at how things will gel.

I would suggest you download the free version of Finale Notepad to your computer, type in your line, then play it while you sing. I have done this for my kids and husband, who are in a choir but must sometimes miss rehearsals.

My son types his violin music in sometimes so he can be lazy with sight reading. :glare: That's not ideal but let's just say that little music program comes in very handy.