Menu

Almost done with Whole30

TheApprentice

I am 20 days into Whole30, and while I feel great, the pounds didn't come off like I thought they would. I workout 6 days a week and teach group ex, so I was hoping for better results.

Also, how soon after you stopped did you bring back foods that were in your diet previously, consequently gaining few pounds?

I'm at almost the same point (22 days in), and I've had the same results.  Although I have been *very* faithful, I've not lost that much weight, which is discouraging.  One of my friends said that to lose weight on whole 30, she had to be faithful about entering calories into myfitnesspal, and she had to really work out a lot.  Sigh.  

I feel like it's helped me get into better food habits, and I've felt good on it, but still--I don't have any big aches or mysterious rashes or poor sleep or whatever that I was hoping to help.  I just have the weight.  One year ago in August my 10th (and last!) baby stopped nursing on her own, and then I proceeded to gain 10 more pounds over the next 9 months.  I've lost 8 of those pounds this month, so yay, but in my mind, getting those 10 pounds off just gets me back to the starting line--where I have 10 more pounds to lose to get back to where I was before I got pregnant with #10, and probably 15 more to get back to where I'd like to be.  

I'm starting to think I'm not ever going to be able to really lose weight, because I have no doubt that as soon as I stop adhering so strictly to the whole 30 diet, I'll gain those 8 pounds back.  I think about other approaches like intermittent fasting or whatever, but honestly, I don't know how I can actually *do* that.  I still have 9 children at home.  I'm teaching AP biology and other high school science classes at our co-op, as well as junior high sciences, and I'm still teaching people to read and potty-training, plus everything in between.  I can't be starving myself and nonfunctional, even 2 days a week.

So I guess I will continue looking like I am several months pregnant, and having random strangers ask me when "this next one" is due.  Sigh.

I'm at almost the same point (22 days in), and I've had the same results.  Although I have been *very* faithful, I've not lost that much weight, which is discouraging.  One of my friends said that to lose weight on whole 30, she had to be faithful about entering calories into myfitnesspal, and she had to really work out a lot.  Sigh.  

I feel like it's helped me get into better food habits, and I've felt good on it, but still--I don't have any big aches or mysterious rashes or poor sleep or whatever that I was hoping to help.  I just have the weight.  One year ago in August my 10th (and last!) baby stopped nursing on her own, and then I proceeded to gain 10 more pounds over the next 9 months.  I've lost 8 of those pounds this month, so yay, but in my mind, getting those 10 pounds off just gets me back to the starting line--where I have 10 more pounds to lose to get back to where I was before I got pregnant with #10, and probably 15 more to get back to where I'd like to be.  

I'm starting to think I'm not ever going to be able to really lose weight, because I have no doubt that as soon as I stop adhering so strictly to the whole 30 diet, I'll gain those 8 pounds back.  I think about other approaches like intermittent fasting or whatever, but honestly, I don't know how I can actually *do* that.  I still have 9 children at home.  I'm teaching AP biology and other high school science classes at our co-op, as well as junior high sciences, and I'm still teaching people to read and potty-training, plus everything in between.  I can't be starving myself and nonfunctional, even 2 days a week.

So I guess I will continue looking like I am several months pregnant, and having random strangers ask me when "this next one" is due.  Sigh.

I've wondered about this gaining back thing.  My cousins wanted to do this together, but given that special, non-sstainable diets usually mean people will gain back, I couldn't see the point.  And it didn't seem to me to be a good idea to cut out so many food groups for no reason.  Even if I suspected something like an allergy I would think it was better to experiment with one at a time.

Do the people who promote this diet give any answers to how it is meant to help people lose weight?

It isn't a weight loss diet. It is an elimination diet to help weed out allergies or sensitivities. Weight loss is often a result of doing it though but not always. I've lost weight on it and didn't gain the weight back. But I've also continued on a mostly whole 30 diet. Not necessarily on purpose but that is just how I eat with the occasional dairy or alcoholic beverage.

• Like 3

It isn't a weight loss diet. It is an elimination diet to help weed out allergies or sensitivities. Weight loss is often a result of doing it though but not always.

This.

For those who haven't lost tons of weight as they were expecting, and are exercising a lot, how do you balance the idea of a # on the scale vs. body composition?   Do you know how your body comp has changed over this period of time?

I'm just curious.

Edited by Snickerdoodle

I didn't go into it with the intention of loosing weight, because I new that wasn't the purpose. I just thought it would be the natural byproduct. I do think I enjoy eating this way, but I also know I'll bring some foods back in my diet and I don't want to gain the weight back.

• Like 1

I didn't go into it with the intention of loosing weight, because I new that wasn't the purpose. I just thought it would be the natural byproduct. I do think I enjoy eating this way, but I also know I'll bring some foods back in my diet and I don't want to gain the weight back.

Yes, I assumed I would lose weight because friends of mine have--about 15 pounds, on average.  I also assumed that because I was eating less and had cut out dairy, all sugar except a piece or 2 of fruit, all grains, etc. that I would lose.  

I think the purpose of the whole 30 is not just to find out about allergens and help autoimmune disfunctions, but also to break a dependence on carbs, so that's why you cut out beans as well as sugar.  And I do think it's helped me with that.  I've certainly become more mindful in my eating, and more careful about reading labels.  I also feel good on the diet--but I would like to add back in beans and rice, for example, and I also don't want to immediately gain everything back.  But I feel like 8 pounds is not a very big buffer, so I most likely will.

One of the "rules" of the diet is not getting on the scale while you're doing it. I always thought of it as eating healthy for the sake of feeling better, not for weight loss. And getting on the scale and not seeing doing numbers can be discouraging even if you feel better overall.

I also have some food sensitivities I can't figure out, so for me, eliminating a lot of possible culprits for 30 days (reactions to things like milk proteins and gluten can last for a couple weeks after you stop consuming them) and then adding things back in one at a time is a good way to do things.

• Like 1

Yes part of it is also kicking a sugar addiction. For me, that took longer than 30 days though.

As for weight loss, the only time I didn't lose weight on a whole 30 was when I ate seeds and nuts during the 30 days. That was also the only whole 30 I allowed myself to snack. The other whole30s I did were strictly snack free and I think that was key to any weight loss. For me, any amount of snacking results in overeating. Even if I measured it out and left the kitchen I'd inevitably feel hungry sooner and reach for more food, which my body didn't actually need but my brain thought I did.

• Like 1

I am 20 days into Whole30, and while I feel great, the pounds didn't come off like I thought they would. I workout 6 days a week and teach group ex, so I was hoping for better results.

Also, how soon after you stopped did you bring back foods that were in your diet previously, consequently gaining few pounds?

I didn't lose weight until the last week, but I did lose inches, most lost during the last week or two.

I was selective. Rice because it greatly widened my ability to eat socially. Maybe A dessert on date night.

A lot of it will be what you found was the hardest to do without for whatever reason, which is going to be very individual and many people are surprised by what was the hardest to do without.

I thought for sure cheese or bread would be my downfall. I was rather blind sided by the no beans or rice being really rough.