Menu

nonfic. books about dogs

hi

I have a very reluctant reader, she's in high school (not one of my homeschoolers) and has actually labeled herself a 'non reader'.

right now she's obsessed with dogs and has asked me to find some books about dogs for her. I dont often get this sort of opportunity so I dont want to blow it with books that are too hard or boring. she's reading on a 7-8th gr level, I would guess. she wants non fiction and is very interested in breeds, history, working dogs etc but will probably enjoy anything that is well written and engaging. nice photography is probably a plus :)

I would really appreciate any recommendations, our library has slim pickings, I can request books from other county libraries but as far as browsing through....its not really useful.

• Like 1

You might check out The Possibility Dogs, by Susanna Charleston. It describes the work and training of service dogs, particularly psychiatric service dogs. The story is personal and very engaging, and the dogs are real personalities who steal the story.

It's written for a general adult audience, but nothing struck me as particularly difficult about the writing.

I hope others have some good suggestions.

• Like 1

The ones that come to my mind are true stories about dogs.

The Incredible Journey - would be an easy read but might be fun.

Greyfriars Bobby.

There is a collection of James Herriot's dog stories which is, I think, just called Dog Stories.

• Like 1

There is a book called Nop's Trials by Donald McCaig.  I'm not sure if it would be easy to get a copy, may be out of print, and I'm not sure of the reading level (it's an adult book-though I don't remember any content that would be a problem for a high schooler), but it's a novel about a border collie, a working dog stolen from his owner and the things they both go through before being reunited.  I haven't read it in years, but it's a really good story, very gripping as I recall it.

I also really enjoyed Dogsong by Gary Paulsen, which is also a novel, about an Inuit (I think) boy who takes his grandfather's sled dogs out into the Alaskan wilderness to live for awhile, the old way.  I also haven't read that since probably junior high.  I think the reading level would be about right.

Gary Paulsen also has a book, My Life in Dog Years, that is nonfiction stories about his dogs over the years.  I've never read it.

The Paulsen books are probably more suitable as far as reading level goes, I think.  Gary Paulsen also may have other books about dogs, I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Good Dog - kids teach kids about dog behavior & training by Evelyn Pang and Hilary Louie 

101 Dog Tricks for kids by Kyra Sundance 

even if you don't have a dog that she can train, having a look through these 2 books would give her a lot of information about how dogs think & behave, and current evidence based humane methods to train dogs 

• Like 1

Stone Fox is a sled dog novel. Sled dogs used to be a topic of real interest to me, can you tell?  Scholastic lists reading level as 4.0 and interest level as 2-5.  Maybe too young?  But sometimes an easy book that is interesting is still good, and Stone Fox is a good book.  I think they made a movie out of it.

Sorry, I missed this was for a high schooler. 

Then I'd echo Susannah Charleson's Possibility Dogs and as she's an older reader, I'd also strongly recommend her older book Scent of the Missing.  

It does deal with missing people including rescue & recovery missions so I wouldn't recommend it for a younger child but a 17 yo would be just fine with it.  Btw, Susannah is on twitter & quite responsive to fans. 

Karen Pryor's Reaching the Animal Mind. Her older one called Don't Shoot the Dog is also great. 

John Bradshaw's Dog Sense. 

Alexandra Horowitz Inside of a Dog 

General training books such as 

When Pigs Fly by Jane Killion

The Toolbox for Building a Great Family Dog by Terry Ryan 

How to Behave so Your Dog Behaves by Sophia Yin 

etc are all good because the text is broken into small chunks and sections, there are pictures & there are explanations about why dogs behave a certain way and what to do about it. 

www.dogwise.com is an excellent source of all things dog btw :) 

• Like 1

would she be interested in exploring some good dog websites? 

I puffy heart Silvia Trkman and think she's such an inspiration to young dog owners because she kind of figured things out all on her own as a young kid & ended up becoming an agility champion. 

this is her old website where she talks a bit about her history.  Her new website and blog are here 

Also the Awesome Dogs blog https://awesomedogs.wordpress.com/

Companion Animal Psychology blog http://www.companionanimalpsychology.com/

I follow tons of dog & training blogs so can recommend more if that's something she might want to do. 

• Like 1

I googled it - Woodsong is the Gary Paulsen book I was thinking about that was nonfiction about sled dogs.  He raced in the Iditarod.  Don't know if dog sledding was what you meant by working dogs, though.

My girls are obsessed with dogs and they read a LOT of guides.  

My oldest is getting DK Eyewitness DOG for her birthday next month (by request).  

They love this owner's guide and this pocket guide to different breeds.  They are somewhat dry, but they take them along for car trips and enjoy reading all about the different types of dogs.

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

Good Dog - kids teach kids about dog behavior & training by Evelyn Pang and Hilary Louie 

101 Dog Tricks for kids by Kyra Sundance 

even if you don't have a dog that she can train, having a look through these 2 books would give her a lot of information about how dogs think & behave, and current evidence based humane methods to train dogs 

those look like something that would excite her, we do have a puppy to train so that will make it all the more fun

thanks for the rec

Sorry, I missed this was for a high schooler. 

Then I'd echo Susannah Charleson's Possibility Dogs and as she's an older reader, I'd also strongly recommend her older book Scent of the Missing.  

It does deal with missing people including rescue & recovery missions so I wouldn't recommend it for a younger child but a 17 yo would be just fine with it.  Btw, Susannah is on twitter & quite responsive to fans. 

Karen Pryor's Reaching the Animal Mind. Her older one called Don't Shoot the Dog is also great. 

John Bradshaw's Dog Sense. 

Alexandra Horowitz Inside of a Dog 

General training books such as 

When Pigs Fly by Jane Killion

The Toolbox for Building a Great Family Dog by Terry Ryan 

How to Behave so Your Dog Behaves by Sophia Yin 

etc are all good because the text is broken into small chunks and sections, there are pictures & there are explanations about why dogs behave a certain way and what to do about it. 

www.dogwise.com is an excellent source of all things dog btw :)

will look into these, thanks

also, while she technically is a high schooler, she's reading waaaay below grade level. and then we run into the not so uncommon problem of low level = low interest. I think this may be one (of the many) reasons she's given up on novels, those on her grade level are boring or immature for her, those that might interest her are too hard for her. I'm just so happy she's interested in reading something!

would she be interested in exploring some good dog websites? 

I puffy heart Silvia Trkman and think she's such an inspiration to young dog owners because she kind of figured things out all on her own as a young kid & ended up becoming an agility champion. 

this is her old website where she talks a bit about her history.  Her new website and blog are here 

Also the Awesome Dogs blog https://awesomedogs.wordpress.com/

Companion Animal Psychology blog http://www.companionanimalpsychology.com/

I follow tons of dog & training blogs so can recommend more if that's something she might want to do. 

I will pass these along to her, thanks

she loves exploring dog websites, but she gravitates towards youtube videos (no reading). aside from the reading aspect of this, I'm also very happy to fuel her interest

I googled it - Woodsong is the Gary Paulsen book I was thinking about that was nonfiction about sled dogs.  He raced in the Iditarod.  Don't know if dog sledding was what you meant by working dogs, though.

requested it from the library

I meant working dogs, as in service dogs, police dogs, therapy dogs, etc. I guess sled dogs would fit in that category too

My girls are obsessed with dogs and they read a LOT of guides.  

My oldest is getting DK Eyewitness DOG for her birthday next month (by request).  

They love this owner's guide and this pocket guide to different breeds.  They are somewhat dry, but they take them along for car trips and enjoy reading all about the different types of dogs.

thank you, I think she will like these

All of James Herriot's books are wonderful. One I love in particular is Every Living Thing. There are dog stories mixed in with other animal stories.

I requested that one from the library too

and I love your quote, btw