Menu

Northern Lights (Philip Pullman) - suitability?

saw

DS9 is being forced by his school to read this. He hates it. I'd like him to be able to make a reasoned argument as to why he shouldn't have to read it (it's not on a reading list for all children, he's been singled out). Not having read it myself, I had a quick look online and noticed a couple of points that made me wonder whether there are themes in the book that may trigger DS's issues with having been adopted, as it seems to be about an orphan, has children disappearing, etc? Could anyone who has read this fill me in? I'm wondering how much I should object to his being forced to read this. 

I haven't read the book, but I would say that if I were concerned about assigned reading for my nine-year-old, I would be the one making the argument to the teacher. I wouldn't expect a child that young to do it. Is there a reason he's the only one being asked to read it? I would think if that's the case, requesting a substitute title would be a very easy accommodation for the teacher to make.

• Like 3

I didn't like that book either. Freaky and scary.

I'd read the book yourself and have solid things that are not appropriate for your kid.

if you know why the book was recommended, maybe you can help the teacher assign a different book that would fit the same purpose?

Edited by vonfirmath

The book was assigned because it was one of the few that has close to 400 pages. I kid you not. DS9 was told to go to the reading corner and find a book with 400 pages and read it. It's stupid, and it's part of a much bigger and more serious disagreement I"m having with his school (which is why I'd like DS to take the lead on objecting to the book --  I'm objecting to everything else that's going on). We're pulling him out asap, so I'm not horribly worried about reading the book as it's only one more week unless it is likely to trigger adoption trauma, in which case I will have to. 

The book was assigned because it was one of the few that has close to 400 pages. I kid you not. DS9 was told to go to the reading corner and find a book with 400 pages and read it. It's stupid, and it's part of a much bigger and more serious disagreement I"m having with his school (which is why I'd like DS to take the lead on objecting to the book --  I'm objecting to everything else that's going on). We're pulling him out asap, so I'm not horribly worried about reading the book as it's only one more week unless it is likely to trigger adoption trauma, in which case I will have to. 

In this case, I would simply send a message to the teacher that the book makes your son uncomfortable and you have substituted a more suitable book of 400 pages you want him to read instead. End of story.

It does not sound as if this particular book was specifically assigned to your son- the only stipulation was a long enough book, so the teacher likely won't care.

My kids have both read the series and liked it, but they were a bit older.

ETA: I would not force the child to contradict the teacher's assignment. That's what parents are for :)The argument that he hates the book is not a good one for discussion. The fact that the book is not on the list or assigned to other kids is neither - sounds like the school is trying to differentiate, which I consider a laudable thing.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 10

ETA: I would not force the child to contradict the teacher's assignment. That's what parents are for :)The argument that he hates the book is not a good one for discussion. The fact that the book is not on the list or assigned to other kids is neither - sounds like the school is trying to differentiate, which I consider a laudable thing.

I wasn't clear -- I didn't mean for him to contradict it, I meant for him to come up with a well-reasoned paragraph on why he does not care for the book and would prefer a different book. 

It sounds like it could trigger adoption trauma.  You, the parent, needs to just say no.  If you're pulling him out anyway, skip the book.  Or substitute another.  Gently, it should be your job to tell the teacher no to the book, not your son's.  Protect your son in this issue, as well as everything else you're doing.  ((hugs))

• Like 6

I would pick a different book for him and send it in with a note to the teacher. There are plenty of long books that he could choose. Visit your public library if you don't have something at home.

The first book in this series is a little unclear about what is going on -- there is a lot of talk about souls, etc., and you don't know which side the author is on or what the bad guys are up to. There are questions about whether those who seem to be the villains are really the villains or whether they are on the right side after all. The other books in the series make the anti-God themes extremely clear.

This might not be a problem for you or your family, but you should know, so that you can decide for yourself.

• Like 2

That book series is very high on the banned book list.  Just say you want your child to read something else. It should not be a shocking thing to say. It is a lightning rod book. I think it's brilliant.  But I would not have an elementary kid read it.  9 is way too young.

It sounds like it could trigger adoption trauma. You, the parent, needs to just say no. If you're pulling him out anyway, skip the book. Or substitute another. Gently, it should be your job to tell the teacher no to the book, not your son's. Protect your son in this issue, as well as everything else you're doing. ((hugs))

I agree. If you're already objecting about a lot of other things, adding one more wouldn't be unexpected.