Menu

Testing requirements for online class?

Kathryn

DH is back in college, doing online classes right now. He signed up for his summer courses a month ago. For his macroeconomics course, he received an email this morning that stated, in part:

"All tests and exams will be taken at home from your computer with a webcam. You will need to download the lockdown browser and make sure your system is compatible."

I'm not liking these requirements at all. I don't like his instructor watching our home while DH is testing (and our computer is in the most public part of the house since we have children who use it) or being required to download something that I don't know about.

My questions are

1. Suggestions for a cheap webcam that will work with Windows 8?

2. Can anyone tell me about lockdown browsers? Is this something I'm going to have to buy? Is there any chance of it messing up my computer?

I recently finished an online Master's degree, the webcam testing is really not a big deal. You won't have to buy anything, and any software the college sends you should be fine--they don't want to get sued over bad software! I'd just look for a webcam from Amazon, my university actually sent me one so maybe check into that.

If you don't want anyone to see your house can you turn the computer to face a wall at testing time?

• Like 1

There's software for the proctor to have many camviews up at once. We do this. We really don't care at all about your house although if you had someone running through with a bloody axe we might get concerned. However, if you're concerned I'd move the computer to a private place for testing, or turn it to face a wall, or something. Temporarily moving it to a private place might be a good idea for helping him do well on the test as well. 

For my SO, it was an independant company that watched him the entire time, not the instructor.  Every online college is different, so I'd ask.  For my SO, he was only allowed to breathe.  Seriously, no food, drink, talking to yourself, getting up...Nothing!!  I know that in a real classroom that these would be obvious, but that's kind of the advantage of being at home.  Anyways, if he did anything but breathe, the test would be automatically over, and he would fail.  He also had to have a microphone as well, so they could listen if anyone was in the room with him.  Yea, the room had to be empty as well (forgot that part).  They asked that he would use the camera to confirm that the room was empty.  I am so glad that that is the only proctored exam class we have had so far.  I'm not looking forward to doing it again.

DH is back in college, doing online classes right now. He signed up for his summer courses a month ago. For his macroeconomics course, he received an email this morning that stated, in part:

"All tests and exams will be taken at home from your computer with a webcam. You will need to download the lockdown browser and make sure your system is compatible."

I'm not liking these requirements at all. I don't like his instructor watching our home while DH is testing (and our computer is in the most public part of the house since we have children who use it) or being required to download something that I don't know about.

How else would you propose the testing is done to ensure the test is taken by the student himself and no unauthorized materials are being used?

You can move the computer into a private area for the duration of the test, in front of a blank wall, so there is nothing to see but your DH taking the exam.

ETA: Instructors and proctors don't give a hoot about your house. Really, they have other things to worry about.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

My questions are

1. Suggestions for a cheap webcam that will work with Windows 8?

2. Can anyone tell me about lockdown browsers? Is this something I'm going to have to buy? Is there any chance of it messing up my computer?

This is pretty normal for online classes. Dh teaches online classes. He requires the lockdown browser for all exams and the webcam for the midterm and final. Standard where he teaches. It's expensive to go to a testing site to take a proctored exam so this method makes it it both less expensive and easier for students.  I have a webcam on my computer. The area it can see is not very wide. I would think that the professor/school would provide the software for the specific lockdown browser that they want used. It won't hurt your computer.

We've both taken many online classes and never had this requirement. Some have you use the college's staffed testing site, some just trust you. I'm not familiar with this method at all. So, if someone is going to be actively watching, does it have to be done at certain times? He said:

"You will have several days to take the test and there will be no make up tests given. The tests will be given in two parts and only the allotted time will be given for teach section."

My husband works full time and does his school work at night. It's frequently late at night or on weekends when he does tests. Since the teacher said "I will answer email during the day (emails and messages on nights and weekends will be answered the next business day)." I'm assuming that if he is proctoring the tests himself it won't be available during evenings and weekends.

I'm frustrated that this information wasn't given on the course information page where instructors post this sort of thing. All he had posted was a mandatory orientation session but said there would be multiple opportunities to attend. Also in the email today, the "multiple opportunities" turned out to be one Monday at either 7am or 12:30pm, with no indication of how long it would be. If this is going to be something that he has to take off multiple days of work for, it won't work, and the whole point of the course information pages for each course is so people don't sign up for classes that won't work for them. At this point, he's stuck because there are no other classes available this late that he needs and he can't drop and get financial aid.

The university I went through used an online proctoring service, I think it had 24 hour availability. You could schedule in advance but it was also usually possible to just hop on when ready to take the test. You should as the school how their proctoring service works.

We've both taken many online classes and never had this requirement. Some have you use the college's staffed testing site, some just trust you. I'm not familiar with this method at all. So, if someone is going to be actively watching, does it have to be done at certain times? He said:

"You will have several days to take the test and there will be no make up tests given. The tests will be given in two parts and only the allotted time will be given for teach section."

My husband works full time and does his school work at night. It's frequently late at night or on weekends when he does tests. Since the teacher said "I will answer email during the day (emails and messages on nights and weekends will be answered the next business day)." I'm assuming that if he is proctoring the tests himself it won't be available during evenings and weekends.

I'm frustrated that this information wasn't given on the course information page where instructors post this sort of thing. All he had posted was a mandatory orientation session but said there would be multiple opportunities to attend. Also in the email today, the "multiple opportunities" turned out to be one Monday at either 7am or 12:30pm, with no indication of how long it would be. If this is going to be something that he has to take off multiple days of work for, it won't work, and the whole point of the course information pages for each course is so people don't sign up for classes that won't work for them. At this point, he's stuck because there are no other classes available this late that he needs and he can't drop and get financial aid.

Dh didn't "live" watch the webcam (I'll have to ask him if the school pays someone to do this, I'm guessing so). Students could take the exam anytime during the assigned days, usually a 3-4 day window. I think it's becoming a more common practice to use the lockdown feature and webcam as ways to show the legitimacy, rigour, etc in the online setting. When dh first starting teaching, the school's policy was either proctor at a test site or trust the students. Now, it's lockdown/webcam for major tests.

As far as being reached, dh had hours he could respond in and when he couldn't . He's not available during the day M-F as he has a full time job on top of teaching part time. He answers in the evening and on weekends but he's not checking it late at night. If he has time, he'll check on weekday mornings, before leaving for work. He can do quick but not complicated responses then.

Edited by QueenCat

I have taken two tests that I had to use lockdown. I really didn't like the format, but I just did as they asked. I much prefer a timed format and the ability to "utilize my resources." In my situation, I was told that the professor did not actually sit and watch, but if there was a suspected issue, she could go back and watch.

Yes, the online college I work for now has three alternatives for tests: (1) take them at a college testing center, (2) take them with a pre-approved proctor (requires that proctor apply and provide references and photo ID), or (3) pay a fee with ProctorU. A webcam with mic is required for ProctorU, and there are specifics for how it must be set up and what the environment is to be like. ProctorU is available 24/7 and has hired people who watch a  student. ProctorU reports problems to a college contact, and both the college and the professor have the opportunity to watch any recording of an exam being taken. My exams are taken within my course shell, and I grade them there (about 1/2 of the questions are short answer or essay).

They have some practice quizzes they do on their own, but my course has four proctored exams and four exams that make up 80% of their grade.

The Lockdown Browser is a free download. The college should have a link to it. It limits what websites you can use during and exam, generally only your course site. My state system actually discontinued using it though because of a problems. It would frequently crash the computers.

Logitech and other vendors sell cheap webcams that are just fine. The school may specify a minimum standard. The online college bookstore sells the Logitech C270 for less than $25.