Menu

Hospital WWYD

Lawana

My mother is hospitalized for some fairly serious issues and I am with her. About an hour and a half ago, her IV antibiotic finished delivering resulting in the pump alarming. In an effort to silence the alarm, I accidentally turned off the pump, stopping the delivery of IV fluids that are critical to one of the health issues. I immediately pressed the call button and said we needed help with the pump. After 40 minutes with no response, I called again. The tech came in to check vitals and we told her. She called the nurse directly, also conveying another distressing symptom. It has now been 25 minutes since that exchange.

What would you do now?

My mother is hospitalized for some fairly serious issues and I am with her. About an hour and a half ago, her IV antibiotic finished delivering resulting in the pump alarming. In an effort to silence the alarm, I accidentally turned off the pump, stopping the delivery of IV fluids that are critical to one of the health issues. I immediately pressed the call button and said we needed help with the pump. After 40 minutes with no response, I called again. The tech came in to check vitals and we told her. She called the nurse directly, also conveying another distressing symptom. It has now been 25 minutes since that exchange.

What would you do now?

Call the nursing supervisor. Immediately.

• Like 2