Menu

Help me with instapot rice making?

momee

I'm doing something wrong I'm sure.

Please tell me how you do both white and brown rice in the instapot.

Mine has turned out gummy three times now.

Missing my old cheap rice maker from Kmart  :(

Shouldn't have thrown it away...

I make perfect rice in my instant pot. I use a long grain white (haven't done brown). I rinse the rice and put it 1:1 with water then add just a little extra (so if I do 4 cups of rice, I do 4 and maybe 1/2 c water - maybe just 4 1/4 you'll just have to see which texture you prefer).

Use the manual setting and reduce time to 4 minutes. Make sure the vent is closed and let it do its thing. I give it ten minutes after it shuts off before I vent the extra steam. My rice is PERFECT!

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 1

I follow the directions in the book for the ratio for basamati rice (what I buy), and push the preset rice button.  It turns out perfect.   (I had an older style that you had to set the minutes manually and the time was listed in the book as well. Again, it was perfect every time).

There are several different types of rice listed in the book so make sure you use the one that matches your rice. Even if you know what ratio you usually use in a different pot, check the book.  it may be slightly different because you don't loose any steam in the process. 

Totally random thoughts that could mess up rice

Make sure you are using measuring cups to measure the water/rice, not the markings on the inside of the pot.

I assume you are not using pre-cooked rice, like Minute Rice. I have seen bulk bins mislabled more than once.

Verify the vent is closed before you start. I have forgot to do this so many times.  LOL 

Verify that you aren't making too little or too much rice, if you tend towards one extreme or the other. The limits are in the book.

Sushi rice is a bit stickier, make sure you don't accidentally have sushi rice.

Always rinse rice.  It is often dusted in a starch to keep it from clumping.  Rinsing thoroughly helps to remove this starch.  I put my raw rice in a metal sieve and set it in a bowl of water for a minute or so.  Then I rinse under running water.  There are times when I am in a hurry and don't do this step.  It does change the texture a bit.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

I make perfect rice in my instant pot. I use a long grain white (haven't done brown). I rinse the rice and put it 1:1 with water then add just a little extra (so if I do 4 cups of rice, I do 4 and maybe 1/2 c water - maybe just 4 1/4 you'll just have to see which texture you prefer).

Use the manual setting and reduce time to 4 minutes. Make sure the vent is closed and let it do its thing. I give it ten minutes after it shuts off before I vent the extra steam. My rice is PERFECT!

Is this instant rice?? Regular rice takes forever :P