Menu

How do I word this? Graduation ceremony and party invites

katilac

We are having a big family party for dd's graduation. It will be at our house, and we are doing a short graduation ceremony as well. 

I'm trying to think of a polite way to say, "You are perfectly welcome to come to the actual ceremony, but also feel free to skip it and come just to the party." 

The ceremony will be at 11 and the party begins at 12. I don't care who comes to what, but we don't want people disrupting the ceremony (although it would be fine if they let themselves in quietly). I also know that her ceremony isn't quite as exciting to others as it is to close family members, and we truly don't mind if they skip it. 

It's a bit tough to only invite certain people to the ceremony, because certain other people will get butt hurt if we do so (the same people who don't actually want to come, of course, lol). 

I have thought of listing them separately on the invitation: 

Graduation Ceremony 11 to 11.45 

Celebration and open house begins at noon 

in the hopes that listing hard start/end times will convey the message. 

Or would it be better to just have the open house listed on the invite, and to insert a note about the ceremony like so: 

There will be a brief graduation ceremony between 11 and 11.45. If you would like to attend, please arrive by 11 AM. 

Who has a better idea? I feel like I am missing the obvious wording. 

Edited by katilac

I have thought of listing them separately on the invitation: 

Graduation Ceremony 11 to 11.45 

Celebration and open house begins at noon 

in the hopes that listing hard start/end times will convey the message. 

I think this conveys the message perfectly well.  Some folks will come for the ceremony, others just for the open house.  I would understand that I was welcome at either or both.

• Like 1

Please help us us celebrate Susie's graduation at an Open House on May 1, between 12:00 and 3:00pm, at XXXX.

A small graduation ceremony will precede the Open House from 11:00 to 11:45.  You are welcome to join us.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 4

Your wording makes it very clear.  Or, J rap's wording works as well.  

I would also put a sign outside the door during the ceremony, and tape over (or disconnect) the doorbell, instructing people to let themselves in quietly, or direct them to the backyard, or whatever you would like them to do.  It is almost certain that a few folks will arrive either early or late, and it can only help to let them know where they should go, and remind them that there is a ceremony in progress.  

• Like 1

Please help us us celebrate Susie's graduation at an Open House on May 1, between 12:00 and 3:00pm, at XXXX.

A small graduation ceremony will precede the Open House from 11:00 to 11:45.  You are welcome to join us.

I love this.  I kind of feel like you might lose some guests if they think showing up just to the open house is going to look rude.  So this wording eliminates that.  

• Like 2

A small graduation ceremony will precede the Open House from 11:00 to 11:45. You are welcome to join us.

I like this, however I wouldn't include the word "small."

• Like 1