Menu

Exercise Thread: April

Slache

I didn't have time to get a proper workout on so while I cleaned the bathroom, kitchen, and dinning room I did squats and a lot of scrubbing. I won't record that as exercise in my LoseIt app because I don't really have a good idea of what to call it.

• Like 4

If you do decide to use the original, be sure to check out the New Rules for Living fb page. (The one that does not mention supercharged, abs, etc. in the title.) They have some stuff pinned that includes what got discarded from the first New Rules book for Women. If you can check out Strong, most people seem to think it's a big improvement. 

Oh, thanks for mentioning this.  I just have the 2007 one called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women".  It looks like Strong is only $13 at B&N so I'll just go ahead and buy it if it's an improvement.    

ETA:  I misspoke on the price.  That $13 is a pre-order for the paperback which won't be available until November.  I'm too impatient for that.  The hardcover is still less than $20, and that's a lot less than the $100 program I was considering, so not a problem.

Edited by Greta
  • Like 1

I didn't have time to get a proper workout on so while I cleaned the bathroom, kitchen, and dinning room I did squats and a lot of scrubbing. I won't record that as exercise in my LoseIt app because I don't really have a good idea of what to call it.

You can log it as House Cleaning :)  It's in there.

• Like 2

I just got back from my morning walk. Over 6000 steps.  Now I can have breakfast. 

Missed my TRX class yesterday - it was cancelled because of snow.  I got on my treadmill instead and power walked with a little bit of jogging. 

Busy day today, but I'm hoping to get out for another walk at some point. 

• Like 3

I have been so busy with end-of-the-school-year things (AP exams begin Monday :eek:) and the college search process that I haven't had any time to post in eons.

Catching up:

--I follow the Girls Gone Strong facebook page and read all their linked articles. I totally agree with their philosophy of heavy weights, HIIT for 10-20 minutes, some moderate sustained cardio, and active rest days (walks with the family). Build and maintain muscle!

--NROL's Strong book is excellent. I borrowed it from the library to get some more ideas for my weight days.

--This month my exercise has been twice-weekly weight sessions with my trainer, once a week weights with dh, various intervals (elliptical, body weight squats, some tabata, and so on) for 20 min combined with 20 min of core work (I have to squish workouts in while dd is on campus for her Arabic class) 3x a week, and the weekly bodyweight bootcamp class at the gym. Oh, and shoveling 10 cubic yards of mulch!

I am now up to 3 full pushups at a time, six months after "graduating" from physical therapy for a frozen shoulder. This time last year I could not even lift my arm above horizontal. :party:

I look forward to this summer lifting heavy 4x a week, increasing my variety of HIIT activities, and hiking with dh each weekend :)

• Like 4