Menu

Exercise Thread: April

Slache

I haven't been in these threads but I am getting back into working out! I took the baby in the stroller to the lake today and ran almost 4 miles. It's hard work pushing a stroller and running, I'm glad I don't have to do that very often. :) I ran a few other times this week and did one body weight workout video on YouTube which left me sore for 3 days. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I managed to get in the one Zumba chair dvd. Getting busy with running kids to soccer, community events and really I don't even know what-all. Hoping for more productivity but taxes are due here by April 30, and I should take advantage of the weather and start on some painting/staining projects.

• Like 1

I've been making progress working out 6 days per week.  I am almost done with week 3.  Today was a Cathe Friedrich Tabata workout.  Bad thing is it is making me so much hungrier than normal.  I am still doing Whole30 (in the third fourth round) although I may have snuck a piece of cheese and a fistful of animal crackers yesterday.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 1

I deleted the dates in the title and just left April since we're not very good at this. I'm still working on my Tai Chi but I will not master the sequence before the baby is born.

I've been making progress working out 6 days per week. I am almost done with week 3. Today was a Cathe Friedrich Tabata workout. Bad thing is it is making me so much hungrier than normal. I am still doing Whole30 (in the third round) although I may have snuck a piece of cheese and a fistful of animal crackers yesterday.

Protein smoothies or recovery drinks are great for that. The one I use is not Whole30 compliant, but I bet there's one out there that is. It's high-quality protein and not as expensive as eating.

• Like 2

May I jump in to ask about good weight-lifting programs?  What do you guys do with regard to weights?  I'm considering buying "The Modern Woman's Guide to Strength Training" at GirlsGoneStrong, but that's a lot of money (at least for my budget) so I thought I would ask about good programs to be sure that's a smart investment.  Thoughts?

May I jump in to ask about good weight-lifting programs?  What do you guys do with regard to weights?  I'm considering buying "The Modern Woman's Guide to Strength Training" at GirlsGoneStrong, but that's a lot of money (at least for my budget) so I thought I would ask about good programs to be sure that's a smart investment.  Thoughts?

I'm unfamiliar with this program so I do not have an opinion. The best program out there in my opinion is P90X. It is a full body fitness program that works on flexibility, strength, and endurance. You can get it through Beachbody on Demand for one cycle of $40. Many others on the hive have recommended The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I've read the book and I liked it but I didn't do the program.

This is what I wrote on my blog 2 years ago about P90X:

P90X is a 90 day fitness program which Beach Body categorizes under their "Extreme Results" section. During the 90 days you do various exercises, including weight training, yoga, plyometrics, and martial arts. I've been through the program twice, but the second time I discontinued so that I could begin P90X3, which only takes 30 minutes a day. The full P90X program includes diet, exercise, and supplements. I only did the exercise, as I was borrowing the program from a friend. These are my findings:

It's easy to modify. I started with 5 pound weights, and quickly worked my way up. I was able to down-scale many of the exercises, and near the end, I was able to up-scale many of them.

Don't watch the scale. My first time through the program, I lost 1 shirt size, 2 pants sizes, and had a more sculpted body, but I gained 20 lbs. As a woman, I had a hard time with the weight gain, but I am very satisfied with the results.

Fast results. Within one week, I could see my body tightening, and every week I noticed drastic improvement in the way I looked and felt.

I had an increased desire for water. I was always someone who had a hard time drinking a lot of water, but with this program I found myself chronically thirsty. My water bottle turned out to be a good investment. I advise you get one too.

P90X is time-consuming. You can plan on spending an hour to an hour and a half a day on the workouts. I had a hard time fitting my workouts in every day, which is why I have since switched to P90X3.

It requires supplies. In order to do the program, you need free weights, a pull-up bar or bands, a yoga mat, and maybe a yoga block.

This program completely transformed my body, and I would recommend it to absolutely anybody. My fat loss was intense, my energy level increased, and I feel amazing.

• Like 2

Thank you, Slache! I really appreciate the information. I've heard of P90X but never really looked into it.

My husband is currently doing 22-minute hardcore which is by the same trainer and cost $40 to own on DVD. The workouts are 22 minutes a day instead of an hour and a half and he is very, very satisfied with the results. He recommends it.

I'm currently pregnant and doing almost nothing. :leaving:

• Like 1

My husband is currently doing 22-minute hardcore which is by the same trainer and cost $40 to own on DVD. The workouts are 22 minutes a day instead of an hour and a half and he is very, very satisfied with the results. He recommends it.

I'm currently pregnant and doing almost nothing. :leaving:

I have to admit, 22 minutes sounds a whole lot better than 90!  :lol:  One of the things that tempted me with the GirlsGoneStrong program is that they said their philosophy is "minimum effective dose" - do what you need to do to get the results you want, but not more, then get on with your life.  Sounds good to me!  :)

The only thing I did when I was pregnant with my daughter was a daily walk.  I don't think you need to do much during pregnancy!  But a little probably goes a long way.  I had a really quick and (relatively!) easy delivery, and I have always wondered if the walking was why, because it's the only healthy thing I did during my pregnancy!  Well, I also napped every day.  Hey, maybe it was the naps!   :laugh:

• Like 2

I just had a baby in January. When I was pregnant, I went walking and swimming a few times a week. Before that, I didn't do much besides walking. 

So, now I'm trying to get back into the groove of things and up my game :P

It's hard for me to do an exercise program at home, because baby will want me, or older kid will, or DH will, or I'll suddenly remember that thing I should be doing... 

So within the last week, I went to the gym 3 times :) I used the weight machines - arms, legs, abs, and did a whopping 5 min of cardio on one of the machines (elliptical, stairs, bike) before heading to the track for some walking/jogging. 

Pretty sure I stink at exercise, but I'm trying :D

• Like 3

Slache, have you tried either T25 or InsanityMax30? Is T25 the one your husband is doing? I want to do one of these intense strength programs, but I know I won't be able to consistently invest 90 minutes a day.

As for exercise this week: a lot of foam rolling, a 4 mile run, a 5 mile run, 60 minutes on the bike and 90 minutes on the bike. I did a full strength routine one day, but it's time to admit that in my current stage of life, I need some more "encouragement" to get the strength training done.

• Like 3

I've been doing TRX three times a week at the gym and I recently dusted off my FitBit and am now power walking.  I even started a couch to 10k program and have done two official days of it, plus two days of running/walking without the app.  I made a rule for myself - I don't sit down in the morning until I have 5000 steps recorded. I don't usually enjoy exercise, but I'm really enjoying this for some reason.

• Like 5

I have to admit, 22 minutes sounds a whole lot better than 90!   :lol:  One of the things that tempted me with the GirlsGoneStrong program is that they said their philosophy is "minimum effective dose" - do what you need to do to get the results you want, but not more, then get on with your life.  Sounds good to me!   :)

That's pretty much the polar opposite of Tony's philosophy. Even 22 MHC has you begging for mercy for those 22 minutes. But in a good way. ;)

Slache, have you tried either T25 or InsanityMax30? Is T25 the one your husband is doing? I want to do one of these intense strength programs, but I know I won't be able to consistently invest 90 minutes a day.

I've done T25 and Insanity Max 30. T25 is for beginners, Insanity Max 30 is... not.

T25 isn't super intense and really good for those starting out or getting back to it after having a baby or being injured. I didn't really care for the program.

Insanity Max 30 is very intense and gives very intense results. There's a strong cardio focus, but there is still lots of strength training and boy does it show! If you want defined arms and glutes Insanity Max 30 will take care of that for you! I think it's a perfect program for mothers because it's 30 minutes a day and requires no equipment.

Both of these programs are by Shaun T. He's very encouraging and always has great soundtracks which makes a world of difference in a workout program. He doesn't always understand that everyone can't do everything he can. I am not Batman and cannot climb a 12 foot wall with no rope. Please do not act like that's akin to a sit up because it is not.

My husband is doing 22 Minute Hard Core which is by Tony Horton, the creator of P90X. It requires weights and a pull up bar or bands. The workout is based on military training and set to a cadence which is nice. Cadences are essentially intended to brainwash you into constant progress while you ignore your struggle and they do so quite well. Military workouts tend to involve everyday movements like crawling and squatting. I imagine going through this program would not only increase your strength and endurance, but also the grace in which you do everyday activities such as cleaning and gardening. I know boot camp did that for me.

• Like 2

I've been doing TRX three times a week at the gym and I recently dusted off my FitBit and am now power walking.  I even started a couch to 10k program and have done two official days of it, plus two days of running/walking without the app.  I made a rule for myself - I don't sit down in the morning until I have 5000 steps recorded. I don't usually enjoy exercise, but I'm really enjoying this for some reason.

Wow, I am impressed!  The first thing I do in the morning is grab my coffee and sit down in front of my computer.  I don't stay too long, because the need to cook breakfast for the family gets me up, but still, I could do better.  I suppose I could put my coffee in a thermos or travel cup and go for a little stroll around the neighborhood.  It wouldn't have to be a vigorous walk, but it would still be better than sitting, wouldn't it?  Thanks for sharing this, Sarah, very inspiring!

• Like 1

That's pretty much the polar opposite of Tony's philosophy. Even 22 MHC has you begging for mercy for those 22 minutes. But in a good way. ;)

I'm not sure that Tony and I will get along.  :lol:  

If I'm understanding the GirlsGoneStrong philosophy, you do a *few* intense workouts (heavy weights and HIIT) each week, a few medium-level workouts (moderate cardio), and as much low-intensity activity as you can incorporate into your life (gentle yoga, walking, etc.)  That kind of appeals to me.  I know the higher intensity stuff really stimulates your body to change, but I also think it has to be done in moderation in order to avoid injury, adrenal fatigue, etc.  And I *know* that I need to simply be more active, be in motion more, and sit less.  But I'm still not sure that I want to drop a hundred bucks for their program.  I don't know, maybe having invested that much in it will motivate me to put it to good use!

• Like 1

I am definitely going to start this.  Once I sit I tend to put down roots, LOL.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that Tony and I will get along. :lol:

If I'm understanding the GirlsGoneStrong philosophy, you do a *few* intense workouts (heavy weights and HIIT) each week, a few medium-level workouts (moderate cardio), and as much low-intensity activity as you can incorporate into your life (gentle yoga, walking, etc.) That kind of appeals to me. I know the higher intensity stuff really stimulates your body to change, but I also think it has to be done in moderation in order to avoid injury, adrenal fatigue, etc. And I *know* that I need to simply be more active, be in motion more, and sit less. But I'm still not sure that I want to drop a hundred bucks for their program. I don't know, maybe having invested that much in it will motivate me to put it to good use!

I like the extreme because I used to be severely obese. 2 extreme days just wouldn't cut it. I think the philosophy of this program sounds good. And I agree that it's expensive. There is a 60 day money back guarantee. I didn't read the fine print but I imagine you'll pay shipping both ways costing you $40 to return it, but it does look good. I think you should do it.

I wanted to mention my Jawbone fitness band. It's like a FitBit. I have an alarm that goes off if I sit on my fat butt for too long. It does more than that, but I thought that might catch your interest. Mine is currently $45 on Amazon, but I only paid $30 for mine. It doesn't have Bluetooth. It...

Tracks calories.

Logs steps.

Gives me challenges like water consumption and step count.

Tracks sleep.

Wakes me up with a vibration after I've had the optimal amount of sleep or at a set time if I prefer.

Then it runs all that information through a computer and tells me things I'd never realized like...

I don't work out 3 days a week unless I work out on Monday.

I don't work out after eating yogurt.

I don't sleep well after eating steak too late.

I don't remember all of the things I learned about myself, but I do know I made a lot of changes in my daily life because of what I learned from my Jawbone. It has helped me become a healthier person.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A17IA1S/ref=twister_B00AE1TWE0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Eta: Here's a video about what Jawbone can do.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0106QX1YY

Edited by Slache
  • Like 2

I like the extreme because I used to be severely obese. 2 extreme days just wouldn't cut it. I think the philosophy of this program sounds good. And I agree that it's expensive. There is a 60 day money back guarantee. I didn't read the fine print but I imagine you'll pay shipping both ways costing you $40 to return it, but it does look good. I think you should do it.

I wanted to mention my Jawbone fitness band. It's like a FitBit. I have an alarm that goes off if I sit on my fat butt for too long. It does more than that, but I thought that might catch your interest. Mine is currently $45 on Amazon, but I only paid $30 for mine. It doesn't have Bluetooth. It...

Tracks calories.

Logs steps.

Gives me challenges like water consumption and step count.

Tracks sleep.

Wakes me up with a vibration after I've had the optimal amount of sleep or at a set time if I prefer.

Then it runs all that information through a computer and tells me things I'd never realized like...

I don't remember all of the things I learned about myself, but I do know I made a lot of changes in my daily life because of what I learned from my Jawbone. It has helped me become a healthier person.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A17IA1S/ref=twister_B00AE1TWE0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Eta: Here's a video about what Jawbone can do.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0106QX1YY

Slache, you are such a help!  Thanks for this and all your posts.  Two extreme days per week may not cut it for me either, so I need to be prepared for that possibility.  I'm fighting middle-aged weight-gain and flabbier, weaker muscles.  I feel like I'm falling apart here, and I'm only 42!  I want to nip that in the bud NOW.  Plus, I had to go on a medication which causes weight gain.  I need the medicine, and it's worth it, but that is so not a fun side effect.  Maybe I should try P90X!

You must be a mindreader because I just bought a Jawbone a few days ago!  I'm having some trouble with it, though, so I'm either going to have to contact customer support tomorrow or just exchange it.  I think it's faulty.  I set a morning alarm on it, and it only worked the first day (though I set it for Mon - Fri).  I set the inactivity alert for 15 minutes, and that worked for three days and then stopped, even though my settings in the app still say it's on.  It does seem to be counting my steps pretty accurately, but I don't know why those features aren't working.  And the inactivity alert was the main reason I bought it.  I already had a Misfit that did most of the other stuff, but I wanted something that would remind me to get up a do a few jumping jacks once I've been sitting for a bit.  And it's not doing that.  :(  It must have features that I don't even understand yet, because it sounds like it did a ton of stuff for you!  So I need to get this figured out.  

Thanks again for your help, you are the best!  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Slache, you are such a help! Thanks for this and all your posts. Two extreme days per week may not cut it for me either, so I need to be prepared for that possibility. I'm fighting middle-aged weight-gain and flabbier, weaker muscles. I feel like I'm falling apart here, and I'm only 42! I want to nip that in the bud NOW. Plus, I had to go on a medication which causes weight gain. I need the medicine, and it's worth it, but that is so not a fun side effect. Maybe I should try P90X!

You must be a mindreader because I just bought a Jawbone a few days ago! I'm having some trouble with it, though, so I'm either going to have to contact customer support tomorrow or just exchange it. I think it's faulty. I set a morning alarm on it, and it only worked the first day (though I set it for Mon - Fri). I set the inactivity alert for 15 minutes, and that worked for three days and then stopped, even though my settings in the app still say it's on. It does seem to be counting my steps pretty accurately, but I don't know why those features aren't working. And the inactivity alert was the main reason I bought it. I already had a Misfit that did most of the other stuff, but I wanted something that would remind me to get up a do a few jumping jacks once I've been sitting for a bit. And it's not doing that. :( It must have features that I don't even understand yet, because it sounds like it did a ton of stuff for you! So I need to get this figured out.

Thanks again for your help, you are the best! :grouphug:

No problem! I love this stuff. Exchange your Jawbone. Something's wrong. I really love P90X. I really do. I wish I could say you won't regret it but I'm always afraid people can't handle the time commitment. There is a P90X 3 which is not a sequel, it's just 30 minutes a day. I didn't love it but you might. Nothing can stand up to P90X for me. It's the gold standard. Insanity Max 30 is an incredibly close second though.
  • Like 1

Has anybody here ever subscribed to FitFusion?  My daughter hates going to the gym, and we've been spending a lot of money on a gym membership for her.  I'm wondering if she might like FitFusion better.  She isn't an enthusiastic exerciser anywhere, but she prefers home and outdoors stuff over the gym.  And it's a fraction of the cost of our gym membership, so it seems worth a shot.

Slache, thanks again for your help, but I have to admit I'm intimidated by P90X, and I *do* prefer the gym over a home workout.  So I think I'm going to hold off on that for now, but keep it in mind for the future (when I'm in better shape - thinking positively here!).

One of the employees at the gym yesterday was offering a free, quick body fat percentage test, using one of those bioelectrical impedance devices.  I don't know how accurate those are, but I do know what my body fat measured on one of those a year ago, and yesterday's measurement was two percentage points higher.  :(  I guess that gives me a goal to work toward.

• Like 1

The Lose It app told me that I stay within my allowed calories on days I drink red wine :)

• Like 3

I've been consistently doing my cardio kickboxing class 3 days a week. I plan to start speed walking on my non kickboxing days. This combination is how I lost weight prior to my downward spiral of a few years of depression, in w hich I gained the weight back. I wish I were seeing results with my weight loss but my eating has gotten out of control! I'm just hungry all the time again, as if I were still breastfeeding. It is so frustrating that I can't seem to find this good balance of eating well and exercising regularly. It is like my brain refuses to allow me to do both at the same time.

I know how poorly I'm eating and what I should be eating but something just stops me from making good decisions. It feels so out of my control. Blah! At least I'm exercising and not gaining.

• Like 2

I've been consistently doing my cardio kickboxing class 3 days a week. I plan to start speed walking on my non kickboxing days. This combination is how I lost weight prior to my downward spiral of a few years of depression, in w hich I gained the weight back. I wish I were seeing results with my weight loss but my eating has gotten out of control! I'm just hungry all the time again, as if I were still breastfeeding. It is so frustrating that I can't seem to find this good balance of eating well and exercising regularly. It is like my brain refuses to allow me to do both at the same time.

I know how poorly I'm eating and what I should be eating but something just stops me from making good decisions. It feels so out of my control. Blah! At least I'm exercising and not gaining.

I know exactly how you feel.  I have been doing TRX consistently for a long time and was maintaining my weight.  I totally ignored the scale - only hopping on once in a while and then trying not to think about the results.  We have a scale that connects to FitBit - so even while I was ignoring the results it was recording them. I took a look at it all a couple of weeks ago and realized I have maintained my weight since 2013 - that's when we got the scale, so maybe even before then. I have almost always been within five pounds of that weight, though I did dip down 7 pounds once and went up 7 pounds once.  It's crazy.  Well, it's crazy because at that weight I was nearly 40 pounds overweight.  

I downloaded the LoseIt app a few weeks ago and have logged everything I've eaten.  Just knowing I have to put the food into the app helps me to make better choices. I'm staying within my allowed calories and I've increased my exercise. I'm making progress and somehow keeping track of everything - exercise and food - is really helping me. 

• Like 2

Has anybody here ever subscribed to FitFusion?  My daughter hates going to the gym, and we've been spending a lot of money on a gym membership for her.  I'm wondering if she might like FitFusion better.  She isn't an enthusiastic exerciser anywhere, but she prefers home and outdoors stuff over the gym.  And it's a fraction of the cost of our gym membership, so it seems worth a shot.

Slache, thanks again for your help, but I have to admit I'm intimidated by P90X, and I *do* prefer the gym over a home workout.  So I think I'm going to hold off on that for now, but keep it in mind for the future (when I'm in better shape - thinking positively here!).

One of the employees at the gym yesterday was offering a free, quick body fat percentage test, using one of those bioelectrical impedance devices.  I don't know how accurate those are, but I do know what my body fat measured on one of those a year ago, and yesterday's measurement was two percentage points higher.  :(  I guess that gives me a goal to work toward.

Sometimes they can be very inaccurate so don't be too depressed. Besides, 2 points isn't much. If you decide to buy P90X later check Craigslist, eBay and Amazon. It's a 12(?) year old program so there are a billion copies out there. Are you buying Girls Gone Strong? I wanna know what you think of it.

The Lose It app told me that I stay within my allowed calories on days I drink red wine :)

Ha! That's awesome! Obviously you should start your day out with a glass just to ensure you stay within your allotted calorie limit.
  • Like 3

This thread inspired me to actually log my food into my Fitbit app today. And having to log my food stopped me from having a milkshake with my kids. DS had a filling today so milkshakes were the soothing reward for his sore mouth. I decided the 500 extra calories weren't worth it.

I did a Self magazine workout DVD this morning, and yesterday was a very slow, short run.

• Like 3

This thread inspired me to actually log my food into my Fitbit app today. And having to log my food stopped me from having a milkshake with my kids. DS had a filling today so milkshakes were the soothing reward for his sore mouth. I decided the 500 extra calories weren't worth it.

I did a Self magazine workout DVD this morning, and yesterday was a very slow, short run.

:hurray: That's fantastic!

• Like 1

I know exactly how you feel. I have been doing TRX consistently for a long time and was maintaining my weight. I totally ignored the scale - only hopping on once in a while and then trying not to think about the results. We have a scale that connects to FitBit - so even while I was ignoring the results it was recording them. I took a look at it all a couple of weeks ago and realized I have maintained my weight since 2013 - that's when we got the scale, so maybe even before then. I have almost always been within five pounds of that weight, though I did dip down 7 pounds once and went up 7 pounds once. It's crazy. Well, it's crazy because at that weight I was nearly 40 pounds overweight.

I downloaded the LoseIt app a few weeks ago and have logged everything I've eaten. Just knowing I have to put the food into the app helps me to make better choices. I'm staying within my allowed calories and I've increased my exercise. I'm making progress and somehow keeping track of everything - exercise and food - is really helping me.

I suppose it is time to start logging my food again. I'm a food logging failure a million times over though! It is so time consuming that it has never become a habit I can stick to. I know it will get me past my food eating issues though so time to put the big girl pants on and do it.

Sometimes they can be very inaccurate so don't be too depressed. Besides, 2 points isn't much. If you decide to buy P90X later check Craigslist, eBay and Amazon. It's a 12(?) year old program so there are a billion copies out there. Are you buying Girls Gone Strong? I wanna know what you think of it.

Ha! That's awesome! Obviously you should start your day out with a glass just to ensure you stay within your allotted calorie limit.

My husband (who incidentally is super encouraging with exercise, an avid exerciser himself, and who will buy me whatever exercise clothing and equipment I want) talked me out of Girls Gone Strong, because he pointed out that there are a number of great weight-lifting books out there for $20 or less each.  I'll keep my eyes on the GGS website in case they ever run a special at a reduced price or something, but otherwise, I think I'll pass for now.  I actually already own The New Rules of Lifting for Women, so I should use it!  I read it, but then never did it.  Why?

Okay, two percentage points sounded like a lot to me, but maybe it isn't as bad in reality as it is in my head.  :)

Thanks for the suggestion about Craig's List!

My husband (who incidentally is super encouraging with exercise, an avid exerciser himself, and who will buy me whatever exercise clothing and equipment I want) talked me out of Girls Gone Strong, because he pointed out that there are a number of great weight-lifting books out there for $20 or less each. I'll keep my eyes on the GGS website in case they ever run a special at a reduced price or something, but otherwise, I think I'll pass for now. I actually already own The New Rules of Lifting for Women, so I should use it! I read it, but then never did it. Why?

Okay, two percentage points sounded like a lot to me, but maybe it isn't as bad in reality as it is in my head. :)

Thanks for the suggestion about Craig's List!

Sounds like a plan. You could still incorporate the Girls Gone Strong philosophy by adding in cardio and yoga. C25K or C210K are available as free apps. You'll need good shoes though. If there's nowhere for you to get fitted I would suggest ASICS as a starting point. Here's a yoga for you.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=eN0BeLyizKg

• Like 1

I suppose it is time to start logging my food again. I'm a food logging failure a million times over though! It is so time consuming that it has never become a habit I can stick to. I know it will get me past my food eating issues though so time to put the big girl pants on and do it.

Do you have the LoseIt app? It allows you to use your phone to scan a barcode off a food package and the info pops up automatically.  LoseIt is free.  I love it.

And I agree - logging food is a huge pain.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom

Do you have the LoseIt app? It allows you to use your phone to scan a barcode off a food package and the info pops up automatically. LoseIt is free. I love it.

And I agree - logging food is a huge pain.

I just downloaded a couple hours ago. I'll have to check that feature out.

• Like 1

Check to see what your local library has--or your local bookstore so that you can see if a program seems worthwhile to you. Girls Gone Strong has a Facebook presence and also sends out emails if you sign up for them. So far, I've found them to be excellent. (Not to mention free!)  All the staff at the gym I belong to has a minimum of a bachelor's degree, and most have a masters, in exercise physiology or something similar. So far, the GGS videos are very consistent with instructions on form I've gotten at the gym. 

New Rules for Lifting has two FB groups. They have just put out a new book targeted toward women called Strong. I have NROL 4 women, NROL 4 Life, and NROL Supercharged. The authors change things a bit with each new book, as the incorporate new research, etc. The workouts make sense and the FB groups both have very knowledgeable helpful people on them if you decide to use those programs. 

I started out very simply: I did bodyweight squats, push-ups (started on the wall), and planks. I gradually progressed to using weights. Got some help from the staff at my gym and read NROL4women and incorporated some of their program. 

If I was starting over, I would still do the same 3 bodyweight exercises, but would add in hamstring curls on a Swiss ball and some kind of "pull" exercise, like rows. 

Right now, I do the following (the upper body routine was worked out by a PT; I have a chronic shoulder vulnerability). Lower body routine by a personal trainer with a masters degree. My goal is to add muscle mass. 

Upper body:

scaption raises and external abduction for rotator cuff muscles (I want to keep those babies in good shape!),

push-ups: both wide-stance and narrow (triceps push-ups)  (I did my first wide-stance full length push-up on St. Patrick's Day!  I started on the wall, went to the kitchen counter, railing on deck, then down the steps, decreasing the incline bit by bit.)  I still can only do about 3 full push-ups and I just go back up the incline until I've done a full set. (ie if I am aiming for 10, I would do 3 on the floor, then however many I can do on the first step (closest to the floor) then the next step up and so on. 

Rows on an incline bench

Shoulder extensions on an incline bench

Core: Planks : basic and some variations  (plus a lot of the other exercises work the core)

Lower: Romanian deadlifts using barbell weights

Squats with kettlebells in a rack position

Single leg Romanian deadlifts using kettlebells or dumbbells

Glute bridge/clamshell combo  (bodyweight plus an exercise band around legs for clamshells)

Hip extensions on a cable machine at the gym 

I will probably start either NROL4 Life or Supercharged soon. 

• Like 2

Today I did a strength training workout. Yesterday, I hiked for an hour with hubby, carrying a backpack with about 12 lbs in it. I need to increase the weight. i LOVE to hike in the spring, but my body is super efficient at it and I have a hard time getting my heartrate/breathing up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The backpack is helping a little... but I either need more weight or another idea. Right now, what I have in the backback is anything from my pantry that is in a plastic "jar" (so it's soft). I don't like the sound of water sloshing around and I want whatever is in there not to have hard edges. Again, any suggestions for backpack "stuffing" or another way to increase my cardio while hiking would be great! (I don't wan to run. Too many tree roots, etc.) 

• Like 1

My goal is to exercise intensely for 5 days a week, and walk on the other day. I typically do videos because well, I don't get out of the house much. I have quite a variety of Jillian MIchaels, Bob Harper, The Firm, and just do what I feel like that day. I also have an elliptical and treadmill to jump on when I have a little more to give. It's just having the motivation to go and do it especially when it's my "Free time". But exercise is the ONLY way I can maintain my 60 pound weight loss, so I'm sucking it up and sticking to it!

• Like 2

Today I did a strength training workout. Yesterday, I hiked for an hour with hubby, carrying a backpack with about 12 lbs in it. I need to increase the weight. i LOVE to hike in the spring, but my body is super efficient at it and I have a hard time getting my heartrate/breathing up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The backpack is helping a little... but I either need more weight or another idea. Right now, what I have in the backback is anything from my pantry that is in a plastic "jar" (so it's soft). I don't like the sound of water sloshing around and I want whatever is in there not to have hard edges. Again, any suggestions for backpack "stuffing" or another way to increase my cardio while hiking would be great! (I don't wan to run. Too many tree roots, etc.) 

Find steeper trails? Pretty dependent on location for this one, lol.

Check to see what your local library has--or your local bookstore so that you can see if a program seems worthwhile to you. Girls Gone Strong has a Facebook presence and also sends out emails if you sign up for them. So far, I've found them to be excellent. (Not to mention free!)  All the staff at the gym I belong to has a minimum of a bachelor's degree, and most have a masters, in exercise physiology or something similar. So far, the GGS videos are very consistent with instructions on form I've gotten at the gym. 

New Rules for Lifting has two FB groups. They have just put out a new book targeted toward women called Strong. I have NROL 4 women, NROL 4 Life, and NROL Supercharged. The authors change things a bit with each new book, as the incorporate new research, etc. The workouts make sense and the FB groups both have very knowledgeable helpful people on them if you decide to use those programs. 

I started out very simply: I did bodyweight squats, push-ups (started on the wall), and planks. I gradually progressed to using weights. Got some help from the staff at my gym and read NROL4women and incorporated some of their program. 

If I was starting over, I would still do the same 3 bodyweight exercises, but would add in hamstring curls on a Swiss ball and some kind of "pull" exercise, like rows. 

Right now, I do the following (the upper body routine was worked out by a PT; I have a chronic shoulder vulnerability). Lower body routine by a personal trainer with a masters degree. My goal is to add muscle mass. 

Upper body:

scaption raises and external abduction for rotator cuff muscles (I want to keep those babies in good shape!),

push-ups: both wide-stance and narrow (triceps push-ups)  (I did my first wide-stance full length push-up on St. Patrick's Day!  I started on the wall, went to the kitchen counter, railing on deck, then down the steps, decreasing the incline bit by bit.)  I still can only do about 3 full push-ups and I just go back up the incline until I've done a full set. (ie if I am aiming for 10, I would do 3 on the floor, then however many I can do on the first step (closest to the floor) then the next step up and so on. 

Rows on an incline bench

Shoulder extensions on an incline bench

Core: Planks : basic and some variations  (plus a lot of the other exercises work the core)

Lower: Romanian deadlifts using barbell weights

Squats with kettlebells in a rack position

Single leg Romanian deadlifts using kettlebells or dumbbells

Glute bridge/clamshell combo  (bodyweight plus an exercise band around legs for clamshells)

Hip extensions on a cable machine at the gym 

I will probably start either NROL4 Life or Supercharged soon. 

Thank you Laurie, this is a great help!  I've been doing bodyweight squats and planks and such, so I'm ready to start adding weight.  I think I'll give NROL for Women another look.

My husband hikes with weight, and he uses bags of sand or, believe it or not, kitty litter!  He found this bag of kitty litter at Costco that was really compact and heavy.  So he bought it for that purpose.  We have no cats.  :lol:  He's also got ziplock baggies full of sand, which he then puts into nylon stuffsacks.  

• Like 1

One other question regarding tracking calories: is there any way to add the calories I'm burning breastfeeding to my Fitbit? With my weight loss goal, it gave me a calorie allowance, but I know it should be a bit higher with nursing.

Can you simply adjust your calorie allowance? Or possibly claim you did an exercise that burns that many calories every day?

Can you go on a more difficult hike? More elevation gain or rockier surfaces? I suggest ankle weights. It's completely different than a pack.

My goal is to exercise intensely for 5 days a week, and walk on the other day. I typically do videos because well, I don't get out of the house much. I have quite a variety of Jillian MIchaels, Bob Harper, The Firm, and just do what I feel like that day. I also have an elliptical and treadmill to jump on when I have a little more to give. It's just having the motivation to go and do it especially when it's my "Free time". But exercise is the ONLY way I can maintain my 60 pound weight loss, so I'm sucking it up and sticking to it!

Have you done Body Shred? I want it! Congratulations on your 60 pound loss!

Find steeper trails? Pretty dependent on location for this one, lol.

My husband hikes with weight, and he uses bags of sand or, believe it or not, kitty litter!  He found this bag of kitty litter at Costco that was really compact and heavy.  So he bought it for that purpose.  We have no cats.   :lol:  He's also got ziplock baggies full of sand, which he then puts into nylon stuffsacks.  

Can you go on a more difficult hike? More elevation gain or rockier surfaces? I suggest ankle weights. It's completely different than a pack.

Thanks for the suggestions. Kitty litter would never have occurred to me!  I have some ankle weights somewhere. I will have to scare them up and try that. 

I should have specified: I want to keep walking the same trails because I like to hike next to water and it tends to be flatter. All my fave trails go along a river. I don't want to give that up for a little elevation. (There is not much around here anyway.) In fact, I skip the loop part of the trails (which do have a slight bit more elevation) and go back the way I came. I just love being near the water!

• Like 2

Thank you Laurie, this is a great help!  I've been doing bodyweight squats and planks and such, so I'm ready to start adding weight.  I think I'll give NROL for Women another look.

If you do decide to use the original, be sure to check out the New Rules for Living fb page. (The one that does not mention supercharged, abs, etc. in the title.) They have some stuff pinned that includes what got discarded from the first New Rules book for Women. If you can check out Strong, most people seem to think it's a big improvement. 

• Like 1