Menu

"Clean" skin care products incl. sunscreen? (free of carcinogens?)

Laurie4b

I am trying to find some skin care products that are effective but are also free of suspect chemicals. I have some pure cocoa butter and some pore shea butter but they are hard to apply. Has anyone else researched this issue?

I found this article :http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Health-News/dangerous-beauty-product-chemicals/2015/08/12/id/669724/  on ingredients to avoid. 

No 1: BHA and BHT. , butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxytoluene ( suspected endocrine disruptors)
No. 2: Coal tar dyes. P-phenylenediamine and colorings listed as "CI" (followed by a series of numbers)
No. 3: DEA-related ingredients. , diethanolamine potentially carcinogenic 

No. 4: Dibutyl phthalate. Suspected endocrine disrupter
No. 5: Formaldehyde producers.  DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea, methenamine, and quarternium-15

No 6: Paraben. any ingredient with parabre in the name suspected endocrine disrupter

No. 7: Parfum (or fragrance). 
No. 8: PEGs. may be contaminated with carcinogens Polyethylene glycols 
No. 9: Petrolatum. 
may be contaminated with carcinogens

No. 10: Siloxanes. suspected endocrine disrupters
No 11: Sodium laureth sulfate.  can be contaminated  carcinogen. 
No. 12: Triclosan.   suspected endocrine disrupter, ; may promote antibiotic resistance

Does this list jive with your own research? Anything to add or subtract? What are safe sunscreen ingredients and which should be avoided? 

I use Juice Beauty skin care.  It's an all natural skin care line with mostly certified organic ingredients.  They have a moisturizer with barrier sunscreen and they also have just dedicated sunscreen, which, I believe is also barrier.  I didn't match up their ingredient list with your list of ingredients to avoid, but I'm sure you could find that on their website. It's pretty user friendly. 

• Like 1

I use california baby stick gor sunscreen, but mostly we use uv shirts and hats.

I use oil to clean my face. Tarte cosmetics. Ivory bar doap. Baking soda deoderant. And shea moisture lotion or homemade herbal oils. And call it a day.

Do you know about the skin deep database?

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

I love Beautycounter.  I just signed up to sell it, I love it so much.  (I'm not a sales girl and I always hate MLM products.)  I've tried lots of different brands, either they end up not being as safe as they claim, or they don't work. 

As far as your list, I'd watch out for fragrances too because companies can hide unsafe things in them and not disclose it.

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 3

Cocoa butter and Shea butter are considered solid oils, you need to mix them with a liquid oil (like almond oil) to make a spreadable body butter.

Here's one recipe. http://rawmazing.com/recipe/homemade-body-butter-recipe/

Once you have a moisturizer you like you can add non nano zinc oxide to it to make sunscreen. A $10 bag of zinc oxide will last years.

• Like 2

A cousin of my husband's makes lotions and body care products with high quality oils, etc. She also makes a sunscreen and herbal bug repellent, magnesium body butter, etc.  I love her products. I have never met her, and don't get any kick back from mentioning her, but I do like them a lot and recommend them. You can message her about the ingredients, but I think they are all listed for each product. https://www.etsy.com/shop/SultrySmooth

• Like 1

I am trying to find some skin care products that are effective but are also free of suspect chemicals. I have some pure cocoa butter and some pore shea butter but they are hard to apply. Has anyone else researched this issue?

I found this article :http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Health-News/dangerous-beauty-product-chemicals/2015/08/12/id/669724/  on ingredients to avoid. 

No 1: BHA and BHT. , butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxytoluene ( suspected endocrine disruptors)

No. 2: Coal tar dyes. P-phenylenediamine and colorings listed as "CI" (followed by a series of numbers)

No. 3: DEA-related ingredients. , diethanolamine potentially carcinogenic 

No. 4: Dibutyl phthalate. Suspected endocrine disrupter

No. 5: Formaldehyde producers.  DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea, methenamine, and quarternium-15

No 6: Paraben. any ingredient with parabre in the name suspected endocrine disrupter

No. 7: Parfum (or fragrance). 

No. 8: PEGs. may be contaminated with carcinogens Polyethylene glycols 

No. 9: Petrolatum. may be contaminated with carcinogens

No. 10: Siloxanes. suspected endocrine disrupters

No 11: Sodium laureth sulfate.  can be contaminated  carcinogen. 

No. 12: Triclosan.   suspected endocrine disrupter, ; may promote antibiotic resistance

Does this list jive with your own research? Anything to add or subtract? What are safe sunscreen ingredients and which should be avoided? 

I'm not a chemical researcher so I haven't done any research on this. I have read up on the literature available to laypeople, however.

I would not include petrolatum or sodium laureth /lauryl sulfate on the grounds that they "can be contaminated". Water can be contaminated with carcinogens, and certainly the air can be contaminated with carcinogens, and in fact they are. Any fruit and vegetable which is not grown organically can be contaminated with carcinogens, and this is even leaving aside the fact that some things actually are carcinogens in their total normal, natural state.

As for formaldehyde, it's so common as to be ingested by all of us daily...

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2014/03/is_formaldehyde_dangerous_no_but_johnson_johnson_removed_it_from_baby_shampoo.html

As for sunscreen, there is no "safe" sunscreen (i.e. all-natural) that would provide adequate protection for a fair-skinned person. The safest way to enjoy the sun for anyone is to cover themselves up with light clothing.

More importantly, why not just use the EWG's list (this is not an endorsement by yours truly, just trying to be helpful):

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/top-tips-for-safer-products/

• Like 2

I'm not a chemical researcher so I haven't done any research on this. I have read up on the literature available to laypeople, however.

I would not include petrolatum or sodium laureth /lauryl sulfate on the grounds that they "can be contaminated". Water can be contaminated with carcinogens, and certainly the air can be contaminated with carcinogens, and in fact they are. Any fruit and vegetable which is not grown organically can be contaminated with carcinogens, and this is even leaving aside the fact that some things actually are carcinogens in their total normal, natural state.

As for formaldehyde, it's so common as to be ingested by all of us daily...

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2014/03/is_formaldehyde_dangerous_no_but_johnson_johnson_removed_it_from_baby_shampoo.html

As for sunscreen, there is no "safe" sunscreen (i.e. all-natural) that would provide adequate protection for a fair-skinned person. The safest way to enjoy the sun for anyone is to cover themselves up with light clothing.

More importantly, why not just use the EWG's list (this is not an endorsement by yours truly, just trying to be helpful):

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/top-tips-for-safer-products/

Zinc Oxide is safe and it's a very effective sun block.

All the sun blocks on the EWG list contain zinc oxide (and maybe titanium dioxide) as their active ingredient.

Yes, but if you're avoiding sodium laurel sulfate then surely you're avoiding zinc oxide? I mean sulfates are just sulfates... Titanium dioxide has been linked to cancer in industrial amounts. I don't avoid it myself, but then, I bathe my entire body in H2O and sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate on a near daily basis, so I'm not worried about it. Vitamin A causes cancer in industrial amounts but it seems to be fine to eat a few carrots a day.

I was trying to provide information for OP on her terms which seems to avoid all distilled and man-made chemicals.

I would agree that zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are safe, though.

Yes, but if you're avoiding sodium laurel sulfate then surely you're avoiding zinc oxide? I mean sulfates are just sulfates... Titanium dioxide has been linked to cancer in industrial amounts. I don't avoid it myself, but then, I bathe my entire body in H2O and sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate on a near daily basis, so I'm not worried about it. Vitamin A causes cancer in industrial amounts but it seems to be fine to eat a few carrots a day.

I was trying to provide information for OP on her terms which seems to avoid all distilled and man-made chemicals.

Yeah, I don't avoid all that stuff. I even use stuff like coppertone sunscreen sprays sometimes.

I just didn't want the OP to think that zinc oxide sunblocks are not effective.

I try to avoid the avobenzone type sunscreens because i don't find them to give very good protection.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't avoid all that stuff. I even use stuff like coppertone sunscreen sprays sometimes.

I just didn't want the OP to think that zinc oxide sunblocks are not effective.

I try to avoid the avobenzone type sunscreens because i don't find them to give very good protection.

Yes, great point. Zinc oxide is effective, as is titanium dioxide, but they aren't "clean" per se.

I use the KISS method.

For facewash, I sometimes use raw honey or oil cleansing. But 95% of the time, just water - in the shower. I don't wear cosmetics that would require cleansing off very often.

Moisturizer is pure jojoba oil for face after every shower, for body (rare) - homemade whipped body butters using cocoa or shea butter, mixed with coconut or almond oil for easier application, or just straight coconut oil.

Sunscreen is generally just avoid the sun in the afternoon. For times when we will be out in the sun during peak sun hours, we use Kabana brand sunscreen.

I don't apply sunscreen every day, or even most of the time. We only use it if we're going to be out in it all day for a pool party, attending an outdoor event, theme park, or similar.

My "terms" are simply to avoid what carcinogens and endocrine disrupters I can.  I am a cancer survivor.

I don't really give a rip whether something is man-made or distilled or whatever. I asked for info here because usually I can get good info here and I have. 

I am pretty careful with what I eat, though not obsessive. I avoid the pesticides, hormones etc. that I can and don't worry about the rest. However, I  had no knowledge of skin care other than the article I linked and came to ask other people who might be a lot farther down the research path than I am. I am at the point where I need a moisturizer and some sunscreen. I'd like to not find out 3 years from now that something I was slathering on my body had carcinogens or endocrine disrupters in it that I could have avoided. I have no other agenda.

I will second the BeautyCounter sunscreen - I have a friend who sells it and although I hate MLM stuff in general, after borrowing her sunscreen at the pool I started buying it. Physical sunblock but doesn't turn everything white and chalky / gross. Worth checking out against your list.

ETA: I am a pasty white redhead and I wear the cream sunscreen everyday under make up, and the stick is good for keeping in purse for reluctant kid faces. It will melt though in a hot car.

Edited by minuway
  • Like 1