Menu

My ds in Basic Training needs prayers...

Hi there. My ds is at Fort Sill and is scheduled to graduate October 17th. When he got there, he ended up with a double lung infection. Then he started coughing up blood and had blood coming from the other end. They finally did a endoscopy and colonoscopy done last week. They found he has a bleeding ulcer in his colon and lots of scarring in his throat and lungs. They cleared him to keep training. My ds inherited my HORRIBLE running ability and with this - it is even worse. He passed the sit-ups and push-ups with close to 100 point each, but his running is off. Last week, he needed to take a little more than 4 minutes off. This week he was a minute over. He says he gets to keep training and do that thing when they go out in the field for days. When he gets back, he can retest on Tuesday. His friends can run with him and pace him since they have already passed. If he doesn't pass, he will go to FTU and not get a graduation. Even when he does pass the PT later on, he still doesn't get a graduation. I think that stinks! I feel like I am back when he was 7 years old and taking his first tae kwan do test. My stomach was so sick then and now it is a 1000 times worse! I think he will get to keep testing till graduation, but so far they are telling him just this Tuesday. I have read that they keep testing though. Is this true? We are supposed to leave a week before graduation since we are driving so far. We were going to break the trip down to keep the kids from losing their minds in the car. I told him we would be coming no matter what. Ugh! I hope he passes!

Edited by Kari C in SC

Kari. . .I can relate the same thing happened to me. . .I am not an exerciser period, so I had a problem with the physical training part of basic (and the military in general). I know how hard it is to run in a certain time, but running with someone else setting the pace is what helped me. I could never pass the run without someone else setting the pace!

I'll be praying for him!

shell

It's been awhile since I went to basic training, but they did allow retesting until graduation. They will not allow him to go on to AIT until he has passed the PT test though. If he has combined AIT and Basic training, they won't allow him to go on to his duty assignment until he has passed it. At least that's how they did it 8 years ago when I went.

HTH,

Andrea

It's been awhile since I went to basic training, but they did allow retesting until graduation. They will not allow him to go on to AIT until he has passed the PT test though. If he has combined AIT and Basic training, they won't allow him to go on to his duty assignment until he has passed it. At least that's how they did it 8 years ago when I went.

HTH,

Andrea

Yes, that is what he told me. He is not in combined. He said he would go to FTU until he passed the test. Then he would go straight to AIT without a graduation weekend.

Praying here!

My dh was at fort sill! He never got to graduate. He passed the tests, but he was too skinny. He didn't weigh enough, so they kept him in a separate camp for those that don't meet weight requirements (under and over). Everyone ate the same diet even though some needed to lose and some needed to gain. After a couple months of that, they finally gave up and sent him home. He weighed less than I did when he got home!

I am sure that with his friends pacing him, he can do it. He needs to be reminded to tell himself that he can do it. If he is negative about it, it will be that much harder. If he is positive, with the help of his friends, he WILL do it. I have faith in his ability to finish in time.

Praying here!

My dh was at fort sill! He never got to graduate. He passed the tests, but he was too skinny. He didn't weigh enough, so they kept him in a separate camp for those that don't meet weight requirements (under and over). Everyone ate the same diet even though some needed to lose and some needed to gain. After a couple months of that, they finally gave up and sent him home. He weighed less than I did when he got home!

My ds is a big guy - over 6 feet and about 210. He had to lose 55 lbs to get in. I was so amazed at how fast he dropped the weight when he put his mind to it. I have never seen him this determined. He is like a different person.