Menu

"Bad" swear words or "REALLY bad" swears words...why is this?

Ginevra

The Assistant Headmaster at my son's school goes by the nickname "Frick." I think his given name is Frederick, but he is always called by Frick.

I do say "Frickin'" or "freakin" as a substitute F-word.

I say them all - freakin', frickin', friggin'

Never paid attention to backstory. I figure most people who say them are just saying them to avoid saying the f word.

• Like 1

There is one word that I think is just absolutely vile under any circumstances. Don't use the Lord's name in vain myself, though I am a prolific and inventive swearer at times. I like a few because they are expressive and amuse me, current favorites are asshat and crapweasel. ;) The Supernatural writers come up with clever ones I often adopt.

I don't curse much anymore but those are two of my favorites as well :)

When I first started using the internet, I used to say things like, "I don't give a flying (expletive denoting copulation deleted)!!!! Bloody (expletive denoting eventual destination of sinners deleted)!!! This computer makes me want to (long string of expletives that would make the Hell's Angels blush and run crying for their mommies deleted)!!!"

Somehow that just faded away on its own, either because I became more comfortable interacting with people of different religious beliefs and picked up on what was and was not acceptable or else because my written communication skills improved.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Male anatomy words tend to lack the misogynistic overtones the female ones do.

That reminds me of Conan OBrien talking about someone getting in trouble for referring to females as vaginas.  He said, "Can you imagine referring to someone by the name of their genitals?  What a d*ck!"  

• Like 2

Oh, and meanings change as well. At one time to hook up simply meant to meet up. Ds had to tell me to stop using that phrase.  :lol:

This reminds me of how mortified my friend in high school was by her mother loudly talking to another mother "Oh, Susy just really loves her thongs! She wears them all the time. I don't see how it's comfortable." Her mother was referring to flip-flops, but that's not how it was being taken.  Susy's mom would also get really mad if she referred to a guy as "hot." To us at the time it meant "cute in not-a-little-boy-way" but she viewed it as extremely sexual, like "get-it-on-tonight."

I find words that have an implied threat or violence to be the worst. I can't really cuss because I feel stupid when it comes out of my mouth, but none of it bothers me much unless there's lots of anger or people are loudly cussing in an area where young children are expected to be (school, playground, etc)

My husband, being military, does cuss in some situations and not others. He actually uses the word "poop" as his most common go-to, which other guys in his unit thought was hilarious and so adopted. But only for its cuss-word connotation "Poop that mortar was close!". When talking about what they did in the toilet, stronger words remained in use.

• Like 2

Is that a noun though? I'd tend to think of it as a completed action. Though if you said "You stupid f%$^, that is a noun for sure. Though I would still strongly associate it with the action - the person is in some way being characterized as an impersonal sexual act.

"F#^* me", "F&$/ off" = verbs

"A great "f#%", "you're a total dumb f&$;" = noun

Like the difference between " she is going to run to the store" and "she had a great run this morning"

FWIW, the dictionary agrees it is both a verb and a noun and dates the use of it as a noun to 1680. (Merriam Websters Colligiate, 11th edition).

Also, that it is a vulgar term for copulation doesn't mean it is an impersonal one.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

"F#^* me", "F&$/ off" = verbs

"A great "f#%", "you're a total dumb f&$;" = noun

Like the difference between " she is going to run to the store" and "she had a great run this morning"

FWIW, the dictionary agrees it is both a verb and a noun and dates the use of it as a noun to 1680. (Merriam Websters Colligiate, 11th edition).

Also, that it is a vulgar term for copulation doesn't mean it is an impersonal one.

As far as being impersonal, I would say a significant amount of the time that is how it is used.  Obviously there isn't some kind of logical necessity there.

I already said this, but yes, the dictionary says one is a very and one a noun.  I think that is a pretty simple way of breaking down language though - not wrong, just limited.  I would say the idea of running, the verb, is very much embedded in the idea of "a run."  What is a run other than a activity whene someone runs?  You don't have that connection to action with all nouns.

As far as being impersonal, I would say a significant amount of the time that is how it is used. Obviously there isn't some kind of logical necessity there.

I already said this, but yes, the dictionary says one is a very and one a noun. I think that is a pretty simple way of breaking down language though - not wrong, just limited. I would say the idea of running, the verb, is very much embedded in the idea of "a run." What is a run other than a activity whene someone runs? You don't have that connection to action with all nouns.

I spend a couple of hours a day, 5-6 days a week 52 weeks a year on word study with my word nerd spelling bee son. A veritable f%#* ton of words are able to work as 2 or more parts of speech. Language is complex, fluid and odd. The English language is especially so.

He's going to take a shower.

Did he shower today?

The list of examples of this is essentially infinite.