Menu

Posts on CC stating NM commended is 209

I thought about calling to verify but decided against it since dd's score is significantly beyond what that would make our state's predicted cut-off since Testmaster's guesstimate for commended was 210.

I did want to share in case others are waiting.

Does anyone know if homeschool "principals" get the letter that NM sent out today to schools? I guess that would answer the question for sure.

I didn't get one today, but we are often a couple days behind the mainland.

Last year the letter was dated April 7.  I did get one as the head of the homeschool.  The letter listed the cutoff for the competition (202 in 2015) and the name of the student(s) who met the cutoff.

So it is possible that there is actual info out about commended level.  Of course, this doesn't tell you all that much, since you still won't know what the semi-finalist cut off will be for each state.  The most it will indicate is a subtle shift up or down for the commended level.

• Like 1

As the folks predicted on CC, that number is way above the College Board published SI percentiles and the percentile numbers the students were given on their PSAT score reports. 

I tutor students for the ACT/SAT.  I had a number of students decide to focus on the SAT based on their PSAT percentiles.  It is ridiculous that the College Board provided the students with inaccurate information when the CB had all of the data needed to provide legitimate numbers.  :cursing:

• Like 1

That's really interesting - it's higher than I thought it would be. Thankfully dd2 is beyond the predicted cutoffs for every state, so we are hopeful.

I don't remember getting a letter in 2014 as head of our homeschool for dd1, but maybe I did?  Haven't gotten anything here so far this year.

Edited by Elise

Does the letter mean the student qualified? Or does it just list the cutoff? 

It means that the student was in the top 50K nationally of all test takers.  16K of these students will advance to the next round, while the others will be named as Commended in September.  The cut-off scores necessary to advance to the next round vary depending on the student's state.

• Like 2

It means that the student was in the top 50K nationally of all test takers.  16K of these students will advance to the next round, while the others will be named as Commended in September.  The cut-off scores necessary to advance to the next round vary depending on the student's state.

Thanks! I'm just starting to gather information about NM, so this is very helpful!

• Like 1

Do you as principal have to do anything with NMSC if the information is correct?

Right now you do not need to do anything.  If your child makes it to semifinalist, you will be notified sometime this fall (late August to early September).  You will receive a letter that outlines everything you must do, which is all online.  Your child will also have information and an essay to complete.  Also, for a homeschooler, you will need to find someone responsible to complete a recommendation and submit the final application to the NM corporation.  

Again, all of this is outlined in the letter you receive.  Also, unlike College Board, the National Merit office is extremely helpful and easy to work with.  I called them several times with questions.  I never had to wait on hold, and everyone was very knowledgeable.  

Good luck to all of the students!  This year was such a tough year with the exam changing.  

• Like 4