Menu

Which one of these Shakespeare plays?

Both of the Henry the IV's feature Falstaff, who may be Shakespeare's most memorable character, though bawdy.  However, I'd recommend Henry V, as it is probably the most quoted, and there's a fantastic Kenneth Branagh film adaptation that would be fun to compare and contrast to the play.

• Like 1

The Hollow Crown BBC series covers all of these, should you want to do a comparison (Jeremy Irons, Tom Hiddleston). 

As GGardner noted, Henry IV and V feature Falstaff for bawdy humor, and they also have the recklessness and father/son struggles of Prince Hal and the king. 

Henry V would be Prince Hal transitioning into the responsibilities of king, and has the famous St. Crispin's Day speech - "we few, we happy few, we band of brothers." 

They're all good! But your ds might identify with the struggles of the young Prince Hal.  

• Like 2

Ladies, I went and it was great ("self love is not so vile a sin as self neglect"--never forget). But I've committed a horrible wrong because David Tenant was in one of the other two plays we did not choose and well they have the same play book and DS might now need the therapy.

:)

• Like 4

Ladies, I went and it was great ("self love is not so vile a sin as self neglect"--never forget). But I've committed a horrible wrong because David Tenant was in one of the other two plays we did not choose and well they have the same play book and DS might now need the therapy.

:)

Oh man, you didn't tell us David Tenant was in one of them!!! That would have trumped everything else for dd.  We are about to watch his Hamlet to compare it to Branaugh's but for the chance to seem him live?  Dd would swoon . . . 

Oh man, you didn't tell us David Tenant was in one of them!!! That would have trumped everything else for dd. We are about to watch his Hamlet to compare it to Branaugh's but for the chance to seem him live? Dd would swoon . . .

I didn't know until we sat down with playbook and DS gasped loudly :)
  • Like 1

Which one did you see? I am hot to see Henry V but my daughters want to see both Henry IVs and are going with friends and I don't want to go alone. My husband and son and friends are not interested - sadface!

Henry V. I do what the boards tell me :)

Eta: most dates were sold out for this one, so get on it asap.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1