Menu

swollen lips; treatment?

mom@shiloh

My son's lips are swollen to about twice their normal size.  I'm guessing either a food allergy or dog allergy.  It started while we were staying with someone with an indoor dog, but we also ate at an ethnic restaurant, so both were new experiences.  He's taking antihistamines, but is there something else I could do to help?

I've been experiencing weird lip/eye/throat/nose swelling at random times over the last couple of months (along with random hives all over my trunk). It's awful, and I feel for your son! I've been to my GP and to urgent care. Both times I was given prednisone and an antihistamine. Prednisone works the best, but you can't be on that forever. The antihistamines work okay. I haven't found anything else to be very helpful. I'm going in for allergy testing this week.

My dd has this reaction to dogs. She finds it strange..."But mom, why my lips?!! It's not like I kissed the dog! I didn't even pet it!"

She also gets generally itchy and her eyes burn and water. I have never correlated it to anything she's eaten (she is a young adult so feeds herself), maybe I should ask her about coincidental foods. She is certain it's the dogs, though.

I'd get it checked out.

The first time it happened to me was after eating a particular fresh fruit. It *only* affecting my lips/mouth (*no* airway or GI issues -- if so, that is serious) and turned out to be just oral allergy syndrome, related to one of my strong pollen allergies. I still get swollen lips with just one type of wine and certain foods. 

However, as others mentioned, allergies should get checked out. This doesn't happen to most people, but I eventually developed severe allergies to other foods. 

It happens to me whenever I wear makeup. It didn't when I was younger, then started as itchy lips, then swollen lips. I haven't worn makeup in years lol.

I'm guessing makeup isn't his issue but it probably is an allergy. Benadryl, both internally and cream on the lips can help. I would go to the doctor. It may be time for some allergy testing or the doctor may let it go if it is a one time thing.

Thanks for your replies.  I did bring him in as it seemed to be getting worse and also developing small sores on his lips and some beginning on his cheeks as well.  He's being treated with antibiotics, since the ped thought it might be a bacterial infection.  Now I'm remembering that one of my dd had a similar reaction to mangos about 15 years ago.  I'm hoping it's better this morning.