Menu

Who wants to play "Doctor Visit or Not?" (a bit gross)

Should I go to the doctor?  

1. 1. Should I go to the doctor?

• Go to the doctor.
    • It will most likely heal without a visit. Save yourself the trip.
    • Other

I've got an infection on my toe. It appears to be like an ingrown toenail, but I don't see where it actually is an ingrown toenail. I was kicked on the toe a few weeks ago while practicing Judo and it split the nail in the middle, so I'm thinking I must have cut it weird or something.

It's red, warm, and hurts next to the nail on my big toe. Yesterday I noticed the redness had spread around my nail a bit (instead of just on the side it went halfway around the top of my nail). Here's the gross part--last night it was leaking a bit of yellowish puss. Go ahead and say "EEWWW" :ack2:!

Is this something that will heal itself? I showed it to dh and he said I should go to the doctor (which he never says), but going will mean taking all 5 boys with me :svengo:. If I went I would tack on talking to the doctor about a cough I've got, pain in my foot, and my sore thumbs.

So, what do you think? Should I go to the doctor? If not, what would proper home care be?

Go.

DH's boss had to have his (toenail, not toe :lol:) surgically removed a few weeks ago and he wouldn't wish that on anyone apparently.

And i do the same thing - tack on extras.

The heat, puss and redness are what say go. You don't want some other stuff to get in there and it to turn ugly you know?

:grouphug:

If possible go to a Podiatrist (foot doctor). Most insurance plans work with them. It really makes a HUGE difference in these type of matters. Most GPs DO NOT do 'surgery' in their office (trim, clean...stitch if necessary). After a PAINFUL attempt with a GP I love I went to a Podiatrist and found relief in minutes. We have always been able to get into our Podiatrist the same day we have called.

He gave me an antibiotic for my toe, told me my foot is definitely sprained, thinks I probably pulled both thumb ligaments, and gave me a prescription for an inhaler because my cough is most likely exercise induced asthma.

So it was worth the trip, I think. The boys were very well behaved, so that was a great bonus :001_smile:.

Good heavens! What in the world did you do to yourself??

I'm glad the trip was worth it. Now, feel better!

The toe infection was the reason I finally went in (someone kicked me in Judo and split my nail and I must have trimmed it funny or something). The foot (I was practicing Judo and someone landed with their knee on my foot), the thumbs (I woke up a few weeks ago and they were killing me and have only gotten minimally better--I've got no idea what I did), and the cough (exercise induced asthma brought on by running it seems) were all just bonus complaints for the doctor.

After the final complaint the doctor looked at the boys and said "So does your Mom do Judo a lot?" :lol:.