Menu

Rec for algebra AGAIN for 9th grade next fall

My son is gifted but ADHD.  This past year (age 13, 14 in June, 8th grade right now), we have seen massive growth in attention and general capability, finally seeing maturity level catching up to his intelligence and very little now of his "H" component.  However, he still struggles in math, not conceptually usually (but occasionally) but with diligence (again, focused attention, little details).  Because of that and frustrations we switched from Singapore after 6 to Teaching Textbooks the past couple years supplemented with Fred.  He did Algebra this year, and his scores in TT are far from great.  In fact, I'm considering repeating algebra next fall (9th grade) with a tougher program to solidify.  He strongly disliked Fred this year for the first time (Algebra) so that won't happen.

I already browsed the sticky re algebra programs but need some additional advice on programs as I have not seen a lot of those programs in person.  I do have a math minor and am comfortable tutoring/teaching.  We are having some of the teen resistance to mom's help so TT was good for that (self-guided) but he is just not paying enough attention so we need another way.  He has to watch Khan videos as well and be tested afterwards on anything where he does poorly on a specific TT topic.  

My concern is if I let his progress, algebra is so foundational that he will always struggle.  His goal is an engineering field, and we have obviously talked about the need for a really really solid groundwork in math.  

Advice from high school parents?  Repeat algebra with a more rigorous program to focus on reinforcement and challenging thinking rather than basics?  Just move to the next level but realize he will need extra assistance for anything he is shaky on?  Advice on specific programs whichever way?  

• Like 1

I would repeat Algebra I, not sure what program, but can he work through the summer?  Or take an extra year to get through school?  I ask because at that pace and wanting to be an Engineering major he might not get through all the math he needs.  And I wouldn't go back to TT.  Is it possible to hire a tutor to come once a week and supervise while you provide back up the rest of the week?  Since he is resisting you teaching him, having outside accountability might help.  

Does he need help solidifying basics like fractions/decimals/percents?  You might start him on the Key to Fractions/Decimals/Percents books right now.  Have him do all the Level 1 books, then all the level 2 books, etc. since they tie together.

• Like 1

I would consider another year of Algebra. I'd also consider an accelerated additional semester of Algebra and if you feel his skill are solid after that, move on. I've heard good things about "Keys to Algebra" as a "skill solidifier".

One of the advantages of homeschooling is you're not stuck on a year schedule... as a math teacher you have a good ability to assess which skills he's weak on and which need work. I'd think that would be a huge advantage!

I agree that repeating algebra I is probably a good idea.  I did algebra more than once with both of my kids even though they did well with it the first time. There is a whole lot of new information thrown at them in algebra and I think it can take more than one year to sink in, even if they are able to do well with the calculations the first time. 

My thought would be to do a quick review of prealgebra (fractions, etc.) for a day or a week or however long seems appropriate, just to ensure that's all firm.

Then I might look to an algebra 1 program that better utilizes his strengths - understanding of concepts - less so than his weaknesses, sequential steps (unlike TT, Khan, Keys).  Something more interesting/more challenging just might hold his attention more than TT did.

It's hard to say what an ideal program would be for this student.  Ordinarily, for more challenge and heavy focus on concepts with as little tedium as possible, I'd look to AoPS of course, though it's not for weak math students (it can work for some 2e kids - it just depends on the individual situation).  Foerster would definitely be challenging.

Jacobs might be a good choice, not as hard as AoPS or Foerster but conceptually very strong.  Thinking out loud, I'd recommend looking at Jacobs first.  https://books.google.com/books?id=PEBMNI51vMEC&printsec=frontcover&dq=9780716710479&hl=en&ei=fk4cTvDvHKSCsALMxMmiCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CEIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false  The exercises further develop the lesson in a way that reminds me a bit of the AoPS lesson problems, but in smaller bites.  It does start off slowly in the first half and I'd allow testing out of some of those chapters, if he can, so as to avoid boredom.

ETA, for videos, have him take a look at the AoPS videos to see whether they speak to him more than the Khan.  (My ds's teacher refers to Khan videos all the time and the few ones I looked at have been horrendously tedious to follow.  The AoPS ones would be more concept focused/less procedural than Khan)

Edited by wapiti

I'd re-do algebra.  Take a year for it.  Pick a solid program (PP's suggestion of Jacobs or AoPS are pretty reasonable IMO).

The concern that by doing algebra for 9th he won't get through the expected math classes in HS is somewhat legit (Alg in 9th => pre-calc in 12th), but not all entering college freshmen, even in solid engineering programs, have taken Calculus in HS.  

If you want him to get that far in HS you might consider doing Geometry over a summer.  I think he'll be better served by getting a solid Alg foundation and cramming geometry vs the other way around.

As far as algebra programs go, I found CLE to be really thorough and conducive to independent use.  Another option is Lial's, especially if you don't want to completely repeat the full year of algebra.  You could watch the videos for the chapter sand if your ds knows the info, just do the chapter review or end of chapter test and move on until you come to a section that gives him more trouble.  

I would repeat at a faster pace.  

Try before you buy for anything y'all do next.

You may consider Fresh Approach -  I believe they have a sample chapter - if they don't ask for one.

Do part of that chapter with your student to see if they like it.

I would repeat Algebra too. You might consider testing your way through an Algebra program. You can offer the chapter test as a pre-test and decide if the material really needs repeating.

As far as which Algebra, I would consider Lial's for being very good at bringing in people at different levels, covering ever topic from the beginning and filling holes. You could also consider a more challenging program, Dolciani and Foerster's both have this reputation.

Lial's is cheap, so if you look at it and decide it isn't a good fit, there is little lost. Dolciani and Foerster's can often be found in libraries for a review.

• Like 1

My dd14 is ADHD and slightly gifted.

We have found that curriculum that is very clear, straight-to-the-point and brief work best for her. None of the: you can do it this way, or this way, or that way. That completely confuses her even though I see the benefit in it. 

Thinkwell math does this (their instructional videos are great IMO in that they are very short 3-5 minutes and clear). Thinkwell also has online quizzes that score automatically and the child is independent on the program (at least 7th & 8th grade was when we used it). BUT, they do not do any review (in hindsight I should have just created that). So we moved on. 

You can get Thinkwell Algebra I videos from the HMH Fuse Algebra I iPad app for $20. The entire student textbook is included with very clear step-by-step instructions, online quizzes (multiple choice) that score automatically, lots of practice, graphing calculators and ongoing review. BUT it's not a homeschool program and there is NO solution key for homeschoolers (I tried really, really hard to get and they would not budge). 

Still this may be an option for you as a review. The online quizzes are scored for you so your son could take the lesson quizzes until he falters and then go back to lesson for review and try the quizzes again until he gets it. (unlike other online programs, there is no "dashboard" for you to log in and see their results...they will just have to show you each time they complete and then you keep track of their scores manually). 

If you need to check answers, there are algebra websites that you can put in your question and it will calculate for you. Tedious if you're going to do a whole worksheet though. 

If you have an iPad, check it out: https://itunes.apple.com/ae/app/hmh-fuse-algebra-1-common/id444710998?mt=8. We've been very happy with this program and I wish their other math programs for younger grades were as clear as this one.

Oh, I just found this! This is the homework help for the same program: http://go.hrw.com/hrw.nd/gohrw_rls1/pKeywordResults?keyword=MA7+HWHelp. It's FREE and the videos are there. It lacks the printed step-by-step instructions but they videos give you this. It also gives you lots of practice. (again no answer key though!) But there are interactive online practice that does tell you if you get the answer right or not (but it's multiple choice)

Maybe start with the free program and see where it takes you?

Good luck!

• Like 4

Another vote for repeat. DS#2 here is a very visual-spatial learner with mild LDs esp. with abstract math topics. We had him do Algebra 1 in 9th, and repeat with a different program in the first half of 10th, doing Geometry in the second semester of 10th. Algebra 2 took 1.5 years -- just to give you a heads up that you may need to plan for extra time all the way through.

Ideas for programs for a second go-around of Algebra 1 for an ADHD student:

- Math-U-See

- Harold Jacobs text with Dr. Callahan DVDs

- Kinetic Books

BEST of luck in finding what is a good fit! Warmest regards, Lori D.