Menu

Help me decide what color to paint my house?

Truscifi

Our house is currently light grey with brick red trim and a dark grey shingle roof. We're replacing the old roof with a galvanized metal one. Our house needs to be painted anyway, so this seems like a good time to change the color. But I can't decide what would go well with the galvanized metal roof! I would love suggestions, and any pics you might want to share for inspiration. 

:bigear:

Will the roof be silver colored? I've seen metal roofs in a variety of colors.

EDITED to add-- I used to drive past a cute house...it had a red metal roof, white main body, with red shutters. They grew red flowers in big pots by the porch. Cute as a button.

Can't go wrong with classic white with black shutters (or accents).

Edited by Happy

Yes, just the plain unpainted galvanized metal roof. So silver/grey. I have looked at lots of pics of houses with silver metal roofs and seen several that are white, but it doesn't have much...pop? I want something with contrast I think.

Yes, just the plain unpainted galvanized metal roof. So silver/grey. I have looked at lots of pics of houses with silver metal roofs and seen several that are white, but it doesn't have much...pop? I want something with contrast I think.

I kinda think the grey you have going on now would work well. I love red accents. Maybe go a shade darker?

A lovely dark blue would work. Or a blue with lots of turquoise mixed in.

Got any photos of your home?

• Like 1

Just my humble opinion but I would leave the siding grey - save the money unless it badly needs it - and paint the trim white.  The strong red trim, again only in my opinion, makes the house look smaller.  I'd want the trim to accent, but not define.

So much potential there and I love! our metal roof on the porch.  Sooo pretty to listen to the rain in the summer under that porch :)

Ours is a stronger tawny brown with gorgeous white trim.  Looks awesome with the trees that surround us~

• Like 2

Certain blues would work but lean heavily to gray gray gray blue. Blue houses don't sell as well. I nearly painted our "forever house" blue--great match for the brick--but then we decided to sell and it would have been a bummer to have to repaint just because of that.

I wish we could have had a metal roof.

Our house is Benjamin Moore Hale Navy and we get tons of compliments on it. It looks great with a lighter gray roof and white trim. There's an adorable house here that is similar navy with a fabulous butter yellow door. Looks great with lots of personality.

• Like 1

So dark grey/blue seems to be the prevailing theme. I could see a nice slate color, with a lot of blue in it. I looked at houses while I was out doing errands and activities this evening and the ones I liked most all had dark or bold colors that contrasted nicely with the silver of the roof.

The only thing that needs to be decided immediately is the trim, because the roofers are going to paint the fascia while it is exposed. So I think I will go with a nice simple white for that and then take my time going through paint samples for the house color. 

And we do actually need to repaint the house anyway. It has been over 10 years, and the paint is starting to chip away in places.

When I was choosing our paint color, I took the swatches across the street and had the neighbors weigh in, too, since they were the ones who would have to look at my house.

Oh, and while blue is lovely, it fades in direct sun pretty fast :-(  ask me how I know this.