Menu

Arsenic in well water :(

Denisemomof4

Has anyone encountered this? What did you do?

Many people in our town have the reverse osmosis system but I'm not interested in it as drinking de mineralized water also isn't ideal.

I'm ashamed to say we haven't rechecked our well water in well over a decade. Surprisingly, nobody I know checks theirs either. Lesson learned.

It's pretty common where I live, though I don't know if more common than in other areas.

I share your concern with demineralization--we drink straight from the tap--but I think if you have a well that has issues, you're better off de-and-re mineralizing, as suggested above.

Good luck to you!

• Like 1

We had this and installed a fairly complicated whole house softener/purifier. It is not reverse osmosis. I couldn't tell you the name because it was done by a water filtration company, which also services it. I test the water at an indipendent lab at least yearly now (because I don't trust anyone!)

Eta that naturally occurring arsenic is common here. Nothing to do with pollution or mines, i understand it's just the way the rock formation is. As is crazy amounts of iron in the water. The joys of rural life.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

There's been talk of this in my area too due to the drought and what's happening with water levels/movement below the surface in relation to abandoned mines.  Many wells went dry last summer and there has been concern over what might be in the water when it's at that low point (more turbidity and contaminants the lower you go in the well.)

Does anyone have experience with the Big Berkey water filters?  I've thought about getting one, as we don't have any sort of filter on our well, but I'm a bit skeptical: 

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/

They sell arsenic removal filters.  

I did talk to a water expert (tester) who said that some arsenic in water is actually normal.  I don't know if that is true or not.  Obviously, too much arsenic is not a good thing.  I don't know anything about what would be considered a safe level.  When I looked into it, I found quite a bit of info online (EPA, .gov sites, etc.)  

There's been talk of this in my area too due to the drought and what's happening with water levels/movement below the surface in relation to abandoned mines.  Many wells went dry last summer and there has been concern over what might be in the water when it's at that low point (more turbidity and contaminants the lower you go in the well.)

Does anyone have experience with the Big Berkey water filters?  I've thought about getting one, as we don't have any sort of filter on our well, but I'm a bit skeptical: 

I don't have one, but my sister lives in a very rural area, and she swears by them.  I've considered one, being on a public system impacted by local waterway discharge.

• Like 1

I don't have one, but my sister lives in a very rural area, and she swears by them.  I've considered one, being on a public system impacted by local waterway discharge.

• Like 1

I did talk to a water expert (tester) who said that some arsenic in water is actually normal. I don't know if that is true or not. Obviously, too much arsenic is not a good thing. I don't know anything about what would be considered a safe level. When I looked into it, I found quite a bit of info online (EPA, .gov sites, etc.)

Yes and according to my water guys the EPA recently changed the allowable amount for arsenic level in drinking water which caused problems for water municipalities. Ours is definitely the "natural" kind...my water guys also said that most our neighbors (we don't have many) just live with it. Which I can't imagine, myself. Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

I have the Big Berkey and we are very happy with it. Very easy, portable if or when one moves, in the lower to mid price range as water purifiers go. You fill the top chamber and water filters through two solid carbon filters. The only disadvantage is that it is not a whole house filter, of course and the shower and other taps still have unfiltered water unless you install an additional filter system on the outside or at the point where water enters the house system. We had one of those at our old house and it was fine but we just wanted to generally filter - no arsenic in appreciable amounts.

• Like 1