Menu

/th/ phonogram mispronounced

We are slowly working through the phonograms and are on the "th" ones. As an initial sound, my daughter pronounces it correctly and she can make the sound in isolation. However, at the end of a word she sounds it out correctly, and then when she says it she replaces the /th/ with /f/

So she'll sound out b a th and say "baff", "maff", etc.

She's only 4, so I am assuming that she will outgrow it. I plan to keep moving forward and making sure that I pronounce it correctly. We do go over how to move our mouth to say the /th/ sound, but she can say it correctly in isolation.

• Like 1

That sound takes a long time for children to master - and you can hear that in many dialects, it's always realized as some sound other than an interdental fricative (interdental - you say it with your tongue at or between the teeth, fricative - you only slow the airflow a little to make this sound). Stereotypically, New Yorkers tawk like dis, and I often see Brits writing in eye dialect about "youf" or how people "fink". If it persists past age six or seven and it isn't a common feature in your dialect, you can get speech therapy for this. Even if it IS a common feature, it's so very stigmatized that you may wish to teach her to say it in the standard fashion anyway, simply by teaching her how.

At any rate, it's common for children to be able to produce specific sounds or words or grammatical constructions in isolation, but fail to do so when speaking. They're still learning. You must have seen this when she was smaller - perhaps she'd say "I runned Mommy!" and you'd correct her "You ran" and she'd say "Yeah, ran. I runned all the way here!" or the like?

Yeah, I think that's normal at 4. My four year old is currently working on her "r" sound. I don't always correct her, but she has come to recognize it often when she says a word wrong. It's so funny listening to her talk sometimes, as she is trying so hard to get the "r" sound. She will get it in half the words, and not the other half, and then turn a "w" sound into "r" because she is trying too hard, lol.

Four is well within the range of normal.

If I had to choose between toilet training and the "th" sound (or "th", "s", "r" and "v", as the case was in our family), I'd take toilet training any day. You can't have it all, lol.

Yes, she is on the young side.  You should see it pretty good around 5 at the beginning of words maybe 6 or even later when occurring at the end of words. 

You can show her /f/ is produced while "biting" the lower lip and blowing... and /th/ is more of the placement of the tongue between the lips and then blowing.. It might help her to feel the difference.. But, I wouldn't stress over it yet. Hth. 

Yes, she is on the young side. You should see it pretty good around 5 at the beginning of words maybe 6 or even later when occurring at the end of words.

You can show her /f/ is produced while "biting" the lower lip and blowing... and /th/ is more of the placement of the tongue between the lips and then blowing.. It might help her to feel the difference.. But, I wouldn't stress over it yet. Hth.

That's what I figured. She can do it at the beginning of the words, but not the end. We are working on demonstrating how it's formed with our mouth.