Menu

Calculus Recitation - is this like a study hall? Is it tied to a certain class?

katilac

dd is working on her schedule, and they have Calculus A listed four times per week, and then Calculus A Recitation listed once per week. 

There are several choices for each, and we can't see that they are linked in any way, they don't have common section numbers or anything. 

Is recitation like a study hall type of thing? Do you have to take one that 'matches' to your particular class? 

Is it like a discussion section?

Yes, recitation is a synonym for a discussion section.  Not like a study hall at all.  It usually led by a TA, often a graduate student, and time for questions and interaction that can't happen in a giant lecture.

• Like 6

At the university here, the recitation section is like a discussion session with a TA to go over problems with a small group of students.

One registers for the recitation section and is automatically registered for the corresponding lecture class. The recitation sections are all listed under the lecture class----so you'd see the dates/times for the class followed by 5 recitation sections, then the second lecture class listed with its 5 recitation sections, etc.

• Like 2

At the university here, the recitation section is like a discussion session with a TA to go over problems with a small group of students.

One registers for the recitation section and is automatically registered for the corresponding lecture class. The recitation sections are all listed under the lecture class----so you'd see the dates/times for the class followed by 5 recitation sections, then the second lecture class listed with its 5 recitation sections, etc.

See, that would make sense to me, but they don't have it that way. 

She can email and ask, but I think they already know her as "that incoming freshman with all the questions!"  :lol:

She can email and ask, but I think they already know her as "that incoming freshman with all the questions!"  :lol:

Perhaps the courses are synchronized among the teachers so that any recitation section can match with any lecture course. When I was a TA, my recitation sections were all drawn from one professor's class, but I could see it being done in a mix-and-match way to allow greater flexibility of scheduling. As long as the professors coordinate.

• Like 2

She's showing her enthusiasm for the school as well as providing valuable feedback so they can prepare clearer information materials next time.

Kids who aren't embarrassed or afraid to ask questions (no matter how simple or how many) when they are confused become academic ROCK STARS!

• Like 8

Depends how the school handles it. At our uni, recitations are discussion sections where homework problems are discussed and extra examples worked, and - probably unique for our department-  students also have to present their solutions for  a grade.

Our courses are standardized; all lectures cover identical content, and the recitations are largely identical as well, so that students can take any combination of a lecture section and a recitation section

I agree with pp that she should simply ask if it is unclear from the course catalog whether the classes have to be paired or are mix&match.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1