Menu

Do you give credit hours for assigned Lit reading?

When I counted hours with DD, I counted all time spent on task, including reading.

With DS, I am only eyeballing it because I have a better idea how much I want to cover in one credit.

Thank you!

And is this standard in public HS classes, do they count reading time into the credit load for the year? 

And is this standard in public HS classes, do they count reading time into the credit load for the year? 

depends on the school. A friend of mine teaches English; they are not allowed to give reading homework - every little bit of literature must be read in class.

Other schools assign reading homework.

In the end, what they do in ps is completely irrelevant for your homeschool.

• Like 1

depends on the school. A friend of mine teaches English; they are not allowed to give reading homework - every little bit of literature must be read in class.

Other schools assign reading homework.

In the end, what they do in ps is completely irrelevant for your homeschool.

My son reads all the time, he's never without a book, however he doesn't like being 'told' what he has to read. I was explaining to him that the reading 'assignments' go toward his necessary credit hours for his English credits. He liked that idea, but then I wasn't sure if I was giving him accurate info.  

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, Do most homeschoolers consider required reading hours towards english credit when calculating hours?

I'm planning on counting DD's time spent reading literature books as part of her English credit.  Her time spent reading history books (we use a lit-based history) will be part of her history credit.  

My DD doesn't like me picking out her books either, so I plan on giving her a long list of possible books & short stories and letting her choose off the list.  Most of the books are on our bookshelf, but the rest should be at the library or on the Kindle.  Currently she has just over 20 selections on the list, 6 specific books are going to be required...although she requested LOTR, so that makes up 4 of them (including The Hobbit).  

Edited by Holly
  • Like 1

I count the reading time. When we finish one book, we start another. I sort of try to figure out his pages per hour pace once he starts reading.

He is reading the Odyssey right now. I looked at WTMA and they give it six weeks. The Excellence in Literature curriculum assigns the whole book to be read in one week! Yikes. That would be impossible here.

• Like 1

I do. We typically do "lit and composition" for English credits, and my kids spend about 30 minutes reading and 30 minutes writing (daily). Discussions on their reading or writing usually happen during our one-on-one time, so I don't "count" that additional time, but it's likely another 30 minutes a week or so. 

• Like 1

My son reads all the time, he's never without a book, however he doesn't like being 'told' what he has to read. I was explaining to him that the reading 'assignments' go toward his necessary credit hours for his English credits. He liked that idea, but then I wasn't sure if I was giving him accurate info.  

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, Do most homeschoolers consider required reading hours towards english credit when calculating hours?

I think so. We did. Hours spent reading assigned literature were part of their English credits.

• Like 2

If you do a Lit study, do you give credit for hours spent reading the book? Or just the discussions and compositions,etc. If you do, how do you figure the average hours it takes to read a certain title?

You can have your student track their hours. That's most accurate.

Another way is to look up the book at audible.com. Look for the unabridged audiobook of whatever title you're reading. To get a rough estimate of how long it will take to read the book silently, multiply the audiobook length by 1/2 (or more or less depending on your reading speed).

• Like 1

I'd say that's accurate, yes. 

I myself have never really literally counted hours spent reading, but I also don't literally count the hours we spend in English 'class,' it's more of a rough estimate all the way around.  

• Like 2