Menu

9th grade language arts help

My DD really struggles with writing.  I was planning on using Beyond the Book Report, but there is so little instruction with it, and it seems too young for her.  Now I'm thinking of having DS use it instead for 6th grade.  After looking into WWS, I think it will be a much better fit, and there is so much more help for when she gets stuck.  So I plan on this and Killgallon Sentences for writing.  If I go this route, should I attempt to go at a faster pace with WWS?  It would be nice to get through the 3 books by the end of 10th grade or would that be too much?  I noticed the WTM Rhetoric Prep class schedules them all in a year, but are they skipping portions of the books?  I guess I'd like to figure a plan of where to go from here...I fell like we are so behind, but I don't want to overburden her either. 

Can you think of anything I'm missing with this line-up?:

Writing: WWS 1, Killgallon Sentences

Grammar: Sentence diagramming, Latin will include more grammar

Literature: Hobbit/LOTR with lit guide, Father Brown, Where the Red Fern Grows, and a few yet-to-be chosen short stories

Spelling/Vocabulary/Copywork: Spelling Wisdom 3

Also, is there a good source for diagramming sentences for review or should we just pull sentences from her readings?  I'm hoping to just have her diagram a few sentences a week to keep her grammar fresh.  Grammar isn't my strength, so something with an answer key would be helpful for me.  :blush: 

You could use Analytical Grammer's High School Reinforcement book. It is designed to be light review to keep students from forgetting what they have learned.

Spelling should really be gone by high school. Using WWS (a middle school program) for high school writing is ok if that is where she is and what she needs. If it will work for her, then go for it. I would not try to get in 3 books in one year. If she is struggling with writing, that pace will kill her. Move through one book at a pace that works for her. If she has time start on book 2. Maybe shoot for doing all 3 over two years, but don't kill her with it if that doesn't work. WWS 1 starts off very easy, but it gets much harder and takes a lot longer per lesson in later chapters. We didn't use 2 or 3, so I don't know about those.

I would increase either the quantity or the level of her reading if she is capable. I'm not familiar with Father Brown, but your other two books are really middle school level. Since her writing is behind, I would try to keep her reading on level unless she is struggling there too.

• Like 1

I noticed the WTM Rhetoric Prep class schedules them all in a year, but are they skipping portions of the books?

Yes. If it would help you to see what is covered and the pacing, there's an example syllabus posted on the WTMA website for Preparation for Rhetoric Writing:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dHNTyJaglMM4Z5iVKX3d0eiQSeY5o9EgX3aqQ4sHVkQ/edit

Spelling should really be gone by high school. 

My son has dyslexia and some other processing issues. We are working through Megawords (currently finishing book 2), which we were able to begin only after multiple years with Apples and Pears and a tutor. My son will likely be doing spelling well into high school. If a kid needs spelling, they need spelling, and I don't think it really matters whether it "should" be gone.

• Like 4

If I could just encourage you--just keep working at it, and try not to focus on her being "behind." Work on spelling as needed (both of my kids needed direct spelling instruction for a couple of years in high school, and spelling struggles definitely affect a student's ability to get thoughts on paper--it's much easier to write if you know at least a reasonable way to represent most of the words you are thinking). Work on grammar, and quality sentences and paragraphs. Work on quality essays. Take it at her speed and don't worry how much or how little you get through, but can she do the process. Build up her skills gradually. She'll get there. Trying to get through a lot of material to say it's done tends to stress everyone out and leave gaps--better to go at a good pace. If she needed a remedial writing class or two in college, would it be the worst thing in the world? Lots of kids do need that, and it's why they have those classes. (I don't know if that will help you, but it's the thought that finally helped me relax and just keep teaching with my struggling writer.) Let go of the stress and just take things step by step. You and she can do this! 

• Like 2

You could use Analytical Grammer's High School Reinforcement book. It is designed to be light review to keep students from forgetting what they have learned.

Spelling should really be gone by high school. Using WWS (a middle school program) for high school writing is ok if that is where she is and what she needs. If it will work for her, then go for it. I would not try to get in 3 books in one year. If she is struggling with writing, that pace will kill her. Move through one book at a pace that works for her. If she has time start on book 2. Maybe shoot for doing all 3 over two years, but don't kill her with it if that doesn't work. WWS 1 starts off very easy, but it gets much harder and takes a lot longer per lesson in later chapters. We didn't use 2 or 3, so I don't know about those.

I would increase either the quantity or the level of her reading if she is capable. I'm not familiar with Father Brown, but your other two books are really middle school level. Since her writing is behind, I would try to keep her reading on level unless she is struggling there too.

I'll look into the AG guide.  I thought they had something like it, but wasn't sure if it was separate from the main program or not.  I didn't want to spend $90 on a little bit of grammar review!  

She doesn't need the spelling, but I like how Spelling Wisdom it set up, and it is intended to use through high school.  Each week they have 1-2 short passages to study, and it's intended to use through high school.  The main purpose is dictation, but I see it having much more value than just that.  Maybe we could even use these for grammar review (as long as we stay away from Charles Dickens' ridiculously long sentences).

I'm not very concerned about the reading.  She'll have several history books, a few of which could count toward literature and are at a high school level.  I didn't list them, because they will be part of her history credit.  We'll also have some poetry and Shakespeare with our family studies.  I am on the fence with Where the Red Fern Grows (SCM lists it for 9th grade lit), but LOTR was specifically requested by DD (and I'm thrilled whenever she requests anything).

• Like 2

Yes. If it would help you to see what is covered and the pacing, there's an example syllabus posted on the WTMA website for Preparation for Rhetoric Writing:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dHNTyJaglMM4Z5iVKX3d0eiQSeY5o9EgX3aqQ4sHVkQ/edit

I did look at this.  I don't think I'd attempt a year, but maybe over two years...or just take three to complete the series.  Do most people cover all three years of WWS?  The reason I was drawn to WWS was that it seemed very similar to ELTL's writing lessons, which have been the most effective for DD.  However, ELTL only includes one writing lesson every other week.  I really wish I'd discovered WWS earlier, but it's a bit late for that.   :(

She does really well with grammar and spelling.  Her main issue is the actual writing.  We moved to having her type on the computer, which has been a help, but she's still not writing very much at a time.  Outlines and narrations go okay, but she's not a very descriptive writer at all.

Edited by Holly

FYI, WWS is a parts-to-whole approach to writing, which works for some kids and doesn't for others.  There are a number of reviews of writing curricula; you might want to search on one or so when you've narrowed it down.  One thread I found especially useful was this one.

• Like 1