Menu

StarTalk Chinese is not being offered - other options?

My daughter is so disappointed. After offering it for seven years, USF is not offering StarTalk Chinese this summer. My daughter heard about it last summer and had planned to attend this summer. Are there any other reasonably priced Chinese immersion summer camps out there?

Thanks. We did look into that program. Sadly, it does not fall under our personal definition of 'reasonably priced.' :)

There is generous need-based financial aid. Applications are due tomorrow for the scholarships (at least last year, you can get the deposit returned to you if the scholarship funds are not enough).

Dd attended last year's Arabic 4-week session. She said all the serious students were there on scholarship, some full. Arabic has a source of outside funding as do other languages. Not sure about Chinese.

Just to clarify my earlier message, Melissa...I sent you a pm with several ideas based on our personal experience. I wasn't being silly when I said "check your email" -- I really meant it! I was dashing out the door and didn't realize til later that it might be interpreted. :)

Would you mind sharing your ideas with me too?  I'm trying to come up with something for my rising senior.  Unfortunately, another commitment seems to fall right in the middle of most of the programs I'm finding.

Dd attended last year's Arabic 4-week session. She said all the serious students were there on scholarship, some full. Arabic has a source of outside funding as do other languages. Not sure about Chinese.

How strict are they about no prior knowledge of the language if on full pay? Could you compare this and Concordia for the same language (any language).

I'm sorry--I don't understand your question. My statement above was referring to Concordia, not a StarTalk program.

Oops sorry. The StarTalk (ole miss) website says no prior knowledge so I was wondering how strict they are if we do not qualify for financial aid. My kids already have exposure to German and chinese.

Edited by Arcadia

Ahhh I see! We crossd wires :lol:

The StarTalk program at Ole Miss is limited to high school juniors and seniors (note: not age-related). It is a free program designed to show off their Chinese Flagship (see Language Flagships http://www.thelanguageflagship.org/content/languages-programs)to prospective students. I'm pretty sure they have at least two levels for learners (but your guys might have more Chinese!).

I've spent a lot of time in the past year-ish investigating language programs!

Edited by Luckymama
  • Like 1

Oops sorry. The StarTalk (ole miss) website says no prior knowledge so I was wondering how strict they are if we do not qualify for financial aid. My kids already have exposure to German and chinese.

So I don't know about this particular program but for Arabic I've emailed around the various starttalk programs (would have been happy to pay full price to Concordia but they gave some ridiculous run around for two months so we are not doing that). The startalk Arabic programs I emailed, if advertised for high school, seem to have an absolute minimum age requirement of rising freshman/14.

Bummer, but I'm exhausted looking for Arabic resources and will carry on with CtY until dual enrollment in a couple of years. There might be more opportunities with Chinese, but I just wanted to pass on the age data point.

Edited by madteaparty

• 3 months later...