Menu

Stronger algebra in workbook form with lots of white space?

We are finishing up CLE 805 with a kid who is very ready for algebra. She recently went through an evaluation and is definitely strong in math. However, she has a visual figure-ground perceptual weakness and has a harder time processing complex visual information. For a kid like this, I think I need a reasonably strong math program in workbook form with lots of white space. Any ideas? 

I have an old copy of MUS algebra one. The format is idea but she's already covered much of what's in it, so I'd need something that takes algebra one a little further.

MUS is one of the cleanest visually curricula out there. Could you skip chapters in the MUS Algebra I and move to Algebra II more quickly?

That's a thought. MUS was also the best formatted for my oldest. She did equally well in tougher curricula, so it wasn't a math weakness for her as much as a visual weakness. 

• Like 1

Horizons algebra workbook has much more white space than their elementary series, and it's definitely a meatier course than MUS. It's not as wide open as MUS though. CBD.com has good samples of it. The downside would be they haven't written algebra 2 yet.

• Like 1

Horizons algebra workbook has much more white space than their elementary series, and it's definitely a meatier course than MUS. It's not as wide open as MUS though. CBD.com has good samples of it. The downside would be they haven't written algebra 2 yet.

Wow. That is a lot of white space!

I've read reviews that there aren't a lot of supports, so that has me concerned a bit. But I might be able to pull it off.

• Like 1

Horizons Algebra has more white space than some, but you still end up needing to write in your own notebook.  It is also very weak on explanation of concepts.

For what it's worth, we did Horizons Algebra for a semester and then switched to Mathusee.  It's much much much better on concepts, which my visual spatial learner, big picture thinker, really needs.

• Like 2

We did video instruction with Larson's Elementary algebra. One could easily type over problem sets.  We also found MUS algebra to be too weak for this particular child. (It will be perfect for my next in line.)

We are doing a similar thing next year with Geometry--a blend of MUS and Koeberlein

I'm a bit afraid on relying on myself for typing or writing out problem sets. I don't want kiddo in trouble if I ever slack off.

Derek Owens has a workbook to go with his lectures.

Those sample lectures seem nice because they aren't that long. Good for limited attention spans.

Voices on recorded lectures usually irritate me, but I could listen to that voice all day!

The workbook samples are clear and well-formatted. Sweet.

• Like 3

Those sample lectures seem nice because they aren't that long. Good for limited attention spans.

Voices on recorded lectures usually irritate me, but I could listen to that voice all day!

The workbook samples are clear and well-formatted. Sweet.

DD is taking Physical Science from Derek Owens this year.  He is great; very responsive to questions and the content seems very thorough.

And, yes, his voice is great!

• Like 1

We have been very pleased with Derek Owens's courses. My third son is now doing Pre-Algebra with him and it's going really well. Both of my older sons have also used him with great results. His explanations are spot on, and workbook is not "cluttered" with problems. His approach is more mastery, so if your daughter needs constant review over time, this may not work. I like that you could, in theory, use his math courses through high school.

• Like 1

Also she likes the videos and his voice is not annoying at all, very pleasant though he definitely speaks more slowly than my family and has a slight southern drawl. He seems so friendly and his approach is clear, we are very happy with the whole thing.

UPDATE:  We dropped DO for now, as the Mastery Approach is really not best for my dd.  She will stay with HOrizons for a few more years and we will consider Derek Owens again in the future. 

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 2