Menu

Grad school: out of state tuition

mommytobees

Dropping in after a very long absence....I can't figure out if grad school charges out of state tuition.

Anyone have any idea?

I live in AZ, but after Ky & I graduate I want to move to the Portland OR area (I'll include U of O in that for the short term). I'm looking at George Fox, PSU, U of O, and possibly Lewis & Clark (however they are on the bottom of my list as their program isn't exactly what I want). 

How do I figure this out short of contacting the schools and asking.....which I'll do, I just want instant answers. What is wrong with Google!

Thanks,

Kris

ETA: oops, I put U of P and not PSU. duh

Edited by mommytobees

As far as I know, yes, graduate programs at state schools generally have different rates for in-state and out-of-state students.  This info should be accessible through the graduate school's website, although you might have to delve into a graduate student handbook or similar.  I did not look for all the schools you mentioned (and I some of them are private anyway) but here's the tuition calculator for U of Oregon:

http://registrar.uoregon.edu/costs/tuition-fees

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 1

Usually, an out-of-state tuition rate will apply for state universities at the graduate level.  Often if you qualify for some type of graduate assistantship the out-of-state portion of tuition will be waived.  What you must do to qualify for in state tuition will vary from state to state.

• Like 1

Usually, an out-of-state tuition rate will apply for state universities at the graduate level. Often if you qualify for some type of graduate assistantship the out-of-state portion of tuition will be waived. What you must do to qualify for in state tuition will vary from state to state.

What you must do for in-state tuition will often be easier as a graduate student than as an undergrad as well.

When I was a TA they waived the difference between out-of-state tuition and in-state tuition and paid me a small stipend.  It wasn't enough to live on; I still needed loans.  The waived amount was considered financial aid, and it counted against how much I was allowed to borrow.