Menu

How do I make things better? Or at least bearable for a few more months?

mommymonster

DH is eligible for sabbatical in a few months. We will be traveling to the Midwest for relaxation and fishing mid-April-ish. Everyone is excited... And by "excited," I mean that the youngest isn't sleeping through the night because he can't wait to go... I'm not sure any of us are going to be sane by the time we actually leave for sabbatical. Add to that, everyone has the February funk (we are in the Pacific Northwest with a general lack of sunshine). 

Unfortunately, we work with a distance learning program and DS10 is required to take state testing before we leave for sabbatical. This means we really should try to get through as much material as feasible prior to testing (DS10 has a fair amount of test anxiety to start with).  In any case, I don't feel like we should take time off in February, even though no one feels like doing school. Also, I've found that when we take time off, it really doesn't re-charge anyone, it just makes coming back harder. 

Everything is going OK in the boys' studies... they are incredibly bored and are slogging to get through. We're doing fun things in the afternoons after school is done. Getting out to visit folks. I think we're doing things "right," but it seems to be just a huge fight to get through the day. The boys are grumpy and out of sorts. DH is also grumpy and out of sorts. Thankfully, I'm not depressed -- that's something. We're just having a super tough time finding anything that "works."  We're sleeping enough, eating well, and exercising. 

How do I make life better for the next few months until sabbatical? We're already doing the "minimum" for school. DH is clearly unhappy with his job, but I can't fix that. I do try to be supportive of DH and ask as little from him as possible. It's like we have a whole bunch of unhappy people, and I'm not really sure what to do to get the family to a place of peace/contentment. 

PS - I'm not entirely clear sabbatical will cure everything, but it's what everyone seems to want. 

Can you ditch the distance learning program that is boring to everyone & finish up the year on your own terms?

How high do they need to test (here it's only above the 33rd percentile)? Can they get that score if you tested & finished up now instead of finishing?

You could do fun trip planning stuff, or anything else interest led till you leave, or a bunch of science kits & board games instead.

Thanks Hilltopmom! Unfortunately, the distance learning program's stipend is generous and pays for their outside activities and curriculum. We'd need to return all their school materials if we were to withdraw from the program. We just can't swing that right now. 

The test that DS10 has to take is the "Smarter Balanced" test. I don't know that he has to have a particular score, it is more that DS10 has such test anxiety that I'd like to give him a good basis for the test. I found a practice test online, and we'll work through that. It will be fine, it just feels like we should keep our noses in our books. (maybe?)

I would check about whether or not he needs to have a particular score and go from there. The required score may be lower than you think, meanwhile you might be aiming for 100%. (Not that it's bad to aim high in general, but in this particular situation you could be making it worse with the anxiety, etc.)

The test that DS10 has to take is the "Smarter Balanced" test. I don't know that he has to have a particular score, it is more that DS10 has such test anxiety that I'd like to give him a good basis for the test.

It is the common core computer based tests. It would be good if he has tried a sample just to familiarize himself with the format because the test is adaptive. My oldest took the 4th grade one two years ago.

My hubby took his sabbatical in May three years ago. We were with the online charter so we just aim for the deadline of finishing all work by April. We managed to finish the required amount by mid April that year.

• Like 1

It's February. February is ALWAYS hard. I don't think it matters if you homeschool or brick and mortar - it's a dolldrum time.

I'd plan Fridays to be fun. Get through the essentials (we always do math and bible) then go on a field trip, park, trampoline park, baking day, video game day, movie day, whatever. Make a list and decide what y'all are in the mood for. Do it every Friday.

We've never really prepped for standardized tests, but I'd buy a test specific pep book. Let him see exactly what's on the test. Do a couple practice runs. No reason to stress out when he (and you) can see the process first. BJU sells the prep books for that test, I think.

• Like 1

When mine are all in a funk, I put them to work.  We clean the garage, wash baseboards, clean out closets or whatever else needs to be done.  The more physical the labor, the better.  I don't know if it actually helps or if they just figure out that, if they complain any more, I'm going to make them work more.  Regardless, I get better attitudes AND clean closets.

• Like 1

Re your 10yo and test anxiety.  It sounds like it's a test that he will be able to take at home on the computer?  After subtly doing everything you can to prepare him for the test, I would have NO problem sitting with my kid and offering encouragement and reminding them of test taking skills/tips while he is taking the test.  "Okay, you've read the question. Be sure to read all of the answers before making a decision." "Remember to read carefully."  "If you don't know the answer, which answers do you know are wrong?"  "You know all of this, remember when we covered it in ___________?"  Coach him through like this all the way, if that's what he needs.

I would not care what the rules say.  If my kid were 10, my priority would be to alleviate test anxiety now, working on it for the next few years until it is a non-issue.  Of course, this may not be an option for you . . .

There have been several times that my kids did their state-mandated annual test in a group at the local school district (offered for free at the time, it worked for us).  Even a few of those kids were given extra time and additional comfort by proctors who did not know them.