Menu

Please recommend spelling book for 1st grader

lilajoy

My first grader (age 6, almost 7) is not homeschooled, but we enrich and "after-school"whenever possible. We're happy with his progress in reading, but his writing is subpar -- among other things, his spelling is terrible. 

Do you have any specific recommendations for a spelling workbook that would work well as a supplement? Spelling Workout? Something else? 

Well, Spelling Workout is recommended in the WTM book.  Just FYI, I thought A was too easy for my then 5 yo. 

I'm using a phonics based spelling program called All About Spelling.  It's a good fit for my ds.  I just tell him the rule and ask him to spell 9 words and sometimes I dictate the phrases in the same lesson.  This works for us.  It does have other stuff to go with it (letter tiles, index box, etc), but at this point in time it's not necessary for us.  I just buy the teacher's manual. 

If his spelling is terrible, you may want to try a spelling program that has a different approach from what the school is doing. 

I think every child is different, so what may be working for us may not work for your child.  Spelling Workout may work perfectly find for your child. 

I hope this helps and that you find something for your ds. 

Have him copy a short sentence from his favorite books, just one a night.  That will help both the handwriting and the spelling, focusing more on the handwriting in 1st.  I'd wait until 2nd grade, and until his copying is fluid and easy before beginning spelling.

• Like 3

Thank you all for replying. I don't think his school teaches spelling at all, but even so I've noticed that his spelling seems weaker than that of some of his classmates. I honestly think part of it is pure laziness -- he just doesn't bother to double check. But I also think he needs some systematic help. I really appreciate all of your suggestions.

All About Spelling and a notebook.  I don't use the tiles or cards.  It's all in the teacher's manual (at least in level 1, where we are finishing up).  Like others have said, just read the rule and dictate words.  Works for both of my first graders, even the terrible speller with a speech disorder. 

• Like 2

All About Spelling and a notebook.  I don't use the tiles or cards.  It's all in the teacher's manual (at least in level 1, where we are finishing up).  Like others have said, just read the rule and dictate words.  Works for both of my first graders, even the terrible speller with a speech disorder. 

This is the first thread where I've read about people using AAS with just the teacher's manual.  That seems so much more doable to me than breaking out all the manipulatives, etc. 

• Like 1

I absolutely think that spelling is important, but I think you'll find that it often lags behind reading development. That said, if I wanted to teach spelling to a first grader, I'd probably use explode the code and think of it as both reading and spelling and handwriting practice. You wouldn't want to start at the beginning of the series with a child already reading.

Alternatively we have had success with Apples and Pears (start with book A - it ramps up quickly).

I'm using AAS with my dd who is not a strong speller. We sometimes use the tiles but I mostly just use the teacher guide. She writes her words on a personal whiteboard. It's working very well for us right now. It's also very easy to use and the lessons don't take much time since I'm not really using all the extras. I love that I do t have to do any planning. And the systematic teaching of rules is helping my daughter. I'm seeing progress as she starts to apply the rules.

• Like 2

We own AAS level 1 Teacher Manual only, but we also have tiles because I made some. We actually barely looked at the book until recently (grade 2). I've taught my ds some spelling rules recently and even though I tried to teach a couple in the past, I think now is when they are going to stick more. When to use "k" vs "ck" at the end of the word, etc. Some rules I have printed from the internet. I intend to try to work my way through those. I don't remember where I got my original list, but I know Logic of English has a list online.

This mainly came to my attention because some kids at a private school are learning about when to use "ch" vs "tch." I saw that rule explained on AAS as a free sample for level 4. But I'm not sure what's taught in each level! The index doesn't really spell that out for me.

So you may or may not need to buy AAS manuals to get the rules, but it may be useful. Especially if there are examples.

We also own Spelling Plus. I am not using it as it is intended, really. We are picking out words to discuss, but the grade level lists don't reflect where we are. But there are lots of words in the book so I figure I can use it kind of as a check off list. We focused on the homophones this week like "let's" vs "lets" "who's" vs "whose" etc.

Edited by heartlikealion