Menu

what kind of vehicle fits this description

ProudGrandma

Currently we have a 2006 Yukon (not XL) and we are possibly looking to replace it.  

What we need:

something with an engine large enough to pull a hybrid camper

something with decent gas mileage

something with good storage space in the back (behind 3 rows of seating...including the driver) 

leg room in the 3rd row of seating for growing kids (our Yukon doesn't have that for our third row)

prefer all wheel drive options

so...tell me what is out there like this...if anything??

I have a Lincoln Navigator. I love it.

My 3rd row can fit a grownup comfortably - it has as much leg room as the second row of seats. 

When my third row is in use my trunk isn't that big.  The longer version has 18" more in the back so when the third row is up it has a standard amount of SUV trunk space.  IIRC, there is no difference in the leg space between the regular and longer models - it is strictly the trunk space that is different.

I don't think the gas mileage is that great but I think it is comparable to anything else that size.

My only regret is I wish I got the longer model. There are a few times when I am driving multiple teenaged boys to baseball and I wish my trunk was a little bigger to fit all their stuff.

• Like 1

Define hybrid camper.

I am in the research phase of trying to figure out what we need for what we want as far as a camper. I went onto the RV message boards and they all very cautious in what they tell you is good and bad. If I were to purchase today though this is what I would get:

http://www.starcraftrv.com/light-weight/travel-star-expandable/floorplans/239tbs/#floorplan-mainThis Trailer

And a Ford Expedition with the tow package. It would be tight, but I think it is big enough to tow this and be manageable. However I would not go bigger then this trailer with this tow vehicle. It isn't just tow ability it is sway and wind resistance and weight ratios. 

• Like 1

One of those XL Suburbans would fit the bill for everything EXCEPT the gas mileage.  I am not sure you can find a decent gas vehicle that meets that criteria.

Our Sequoia is great, but now that my boys are older they are starting to complain about leg room in the 3rd seat and there isn't the huge amount of room behind the 3rd row that you are probably looking for.

• Like 1

I also have a Navagator, but I have the long one. I used to have a suburban and liked it very much as well. Since we might be down to just 2 kids soon, we test drove almost every SUV. I liked the idea of a smaller one, but NONE were as comfortable to me as the Navagator.

When my suburban was totaled, we rented a minivan. The seats were so uncomfortable to me that I almost couldn't drive it.

Dh just bought a BMW wagon for our middle daughter. I could trade her if I wanted something smaller, but I think I'm going to be driving the Navagator for a long while yet. I have yet to find a vehicle that I enjoy more.

• Like 1