Menu

Exercise Thread 2/7/16 - 2/13/16

Slache

Sunday:  day off

MOnday:  45 minutes on elliptical.

I'm trying to work out 5 x week, with 2 x being strength training.

I hate working out by myself, especially inside, but I can't afford a gym membership (and have no idea when I'd have time to go to a class) and it's too cold and snowy and icy to run or bike outside.  So elliptical with random TV show for me for the next few months.  Blah.  

Sometimes I want a full time job again so I can go to the gym at lunch.  That's the only part I really miss about working outside the home.

• Like 3

Sunday- 1/2 hour Daily Burn, 1/2 hour PT stretches and core work, 10,140 steps on the Fitbit

Monday- 1/2 hour Daily Burn, 70 minutes stair climber at the Y*, 1/4 hour PT exercises, 10,700 and counting steps on the Fitbit. Though to be fair, most of those were gained from the stair climber I am sure. It's been a strangely sedentary day otherwise.

*generally not super into cardio machines but my son has a 2+ hour thing on Mondays there and I figured what the heck?

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2

I think it was just yoga and Super Bowl Sunday. Yesterday I taught yoga and took a 3 mile walk while dd was ins a library class. Today will be yoga and a skating party where I intend to roller skate to avoid passing the time with the other homeschool moms 😳. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are our crazy out of house days.

• Like 1

Sorry Slache! When I do a search for Exercise, these threads don't show up.

Does anyone here take outside classes? I'm happiest working out by myself, but I think it's good to get out there too.

Mostly just wondering if I can hang on in a class I'm attending because it's for our very small, local community which I want to support. I'm totally unsatisfied with the class otherwise. It should end around mid-March, but I'm pretty sure I'm losing it.

• Like 1

I take one class at my gym. It's a body weight bootcamp class. I really like it as it's a blend cardio and weight training, the two things I do the other days of the week. (The class is free with my gym membership.)

So yesterday was training and stretching. I had no time for cardio, which stinks.

Today I will do some cardio while dd is at Arabic (I have 50 minutes between dropping off and picking up) and then dh and I will go to the bootcamp class at 6.

• Like 3

Today: Finish out 10,00 steps, probably at the gym. Do upper and lower body strength training. 

That was Tuesday. I did the 10,000 steps, but didn't do strength training b/c I realized I had an appt right by the gym Wed, so I moved strength-training to Wed. That means, however, just 2 training sessions this week, but I think it's okay. 

I did do the strength training yesterday. I do modified push-ups, rows, & shoulder extensions for my major upper body work and external abduction and scaption raises for my rotator cuff muscles.  I recently got tested and my quads were way stronger than the rest of my lower body muscles so I just focused on hamstring curls on a Swiss ball and the abduction machine. (Only machine I use at the gym.) I also did a full body plank and two one-legged planks. 

Did Zumba on Wed, too. 

Today, I am taking more of a low-key day, but will do 10,000 steps including a Zumba workout. 

Tomorrow or Saturday will be strength-training again, and 10,000 steps both days. 

• Like 1

Sorry Slache! When I do a search for Exercise, these threads don't show up.

Does anyone here take outside classes? I'm happiest working out by myself, but I think it's good to get out there too.

Mostly just wondering if I can hang on in a class I'm attending because it's for our very small, local community which I want to support. I'm totally unsatisfied with the class otherwise. It should end around mid-March, but I'm pretty sure I'm losing it.

I take Zumba and love it. That's outside the gym. 

At the gym, I sometimes will join the cardio-core class. (half interval training, half ab work)  I have tried some other ones such as kick-boxing and some "Strength and flexibility" classes, which were kind of "meh." I have also tried Pilates, and like it for the most part. 

• Like 1

Sorry, I've been MIA.  I've been so busy, and have not been on the computer much at all.  

This week so far,

Monday- 4 mile run (outside!) and Bikram yoga

Tueday-90 minutes vinyasa yoga

Wed-nothing.  I slept in, then made the long trek (an hour drive) to church for Lenten service

Thursday- Bikram yoga

Slache, thanks for starting the thread!

• Like 3

Tuesday: 1/2 hour PT exercises. My back seems to be improving substantially. 11,747 steps on the Fitbit, including ~three miles of walking very fast to keep up with 7 year old on a razor scooter in a paved circular path. And doing the high stairs adjacent to this path 16 times. I can't run them because of my back and some slight shin splints.

Wednesday: 15 minutes PT exercises, 15 minutes yoga stretching, 1/2 hour Daily Burn and 10,227 steps on the Fitbit.

Thursday: 1 hour very fast walk with heart rate up, 1/2 hour Daily Burn, skipped my PT exercises in favor of napping, lol. 10,293 steps on the Fitbit.

• Like 3

Friday (so far): 45 at the physical therapists' office doing mostly core work. He gave me updated PT exercises to do everyday. ~3 miles walking fast to keep up with boys on scooters. 10 times on the stairs adjacent to that path. 12,040 steps on the Fitbit so far today. I will probably do a short bit of Daily Burn this evening.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2

Sometimes I want a full time job again so I can go to the gym at lunch. That's the only part I really miss about working outside the home.

Agreed. I used to work until 8pm three nights a week, so I would hit the gym after work. DH would already have DS1 in bed by the time I was off, so there was no point rushing home.

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday: an hour on the bike each day.

Thursday: rest day. I only managed 6,000 steps in my Fitbit, so, really, really a rest day.

• Like 1

Today, I am taking more of a low-key day, but will do 10,000 steps including a Zumba workout. 

Tomorrow or Saturday will be strength-training again, and 10,000 steps both days. 

I wimped out of going to Zumba on Thursday. It was really cold out, so I did some Zumba at home until I got to 10,000 steps. Friday, I just did 10,000 steps. No targeted exercise. 

Today, I did strength training and have about 800 steps left to go. I am working my way down inclined push-ups trying to get to a full push-up (not on knees). I did most of my push-ups at thigh height but was able to do one on after lowering the bar to  knee height. (I was about 12 inches from the ground back in August when I injured my shoulder, so am getting close to the level I was on then. Finally!)  Did inclined rows with 20 lb weight in each hand, leg abduction at 80 pounds. Did one set of 20  hamstring curls on a Swiss ball. (Need to do 2 more; a friend was waiting on me to finish). I also need to do some planks. 

45 min. Latin Jazzercize dvd again Friday, did the 30 min. Zumba Toning dvd today.

I've decided to let myself off the hook with the twice-weekly exercise class. I don't enjoy it anymore, and if trying to show community support leads to strained relationships, it seems like a lose-lose. I bought the instructor a thank-you card. I may go once more to pass that along, but no obligation to continue twice per week unless I feel like it. Which would leave me some time to try an actual Zumba class one evening maybe.

• Like 1